The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 26, 2017, 01:55 PM   #26
gmoney

I'm about 80% striker fired, 20 % hammer fired on my handguns.....
Old February 26, 2017, 02:11 PM   #27
disseminator

Hammer.

I don't favor safeties for personal defense, but I like the "safety" of riding the hammer into the holster and so it's DA/SA for me. Ensuring that you have a sure grip on the pistol will eliminate issues with the double action to single action transition IMO.

P226 40S&W EDC
Old February 26, 2017, 06:28 PM   #28
ShootistPRS

I have seen a lot of machines fail in my life as a mechanic. Most of the time it's not a life or death matter - just inconvenient. I am a hammer guy. Lowering the hammer is a natural thing with a pistol. Revolvers, most of them, have a hammer so you can "decock" your gun safely. Striker fired guns require either unloading or the use of a decocking device to drop the hammer without firing a round. The decocking device adds to the number of parts that can fail and if the decocker fails it can discharge a round. The hammer can be dropped manually and safely every time. Yes, you can screw up and have the gun fire with a hammer too but you are in control of that. I would rather gamble on me than on any mechanical device where guns are concerned.
It's a bit like owning a car with that "self parking" feature. I don't want my car driving itself, I would rather do it myself.
That is why all my guns, with the exception of two auto-loading 22 rimfires, all my pistols have hammers.
Old February 26, 2017, 06:58 PM   #29
TailGator

I took a little mental inventory and was surprised to realize that almost half of my pistols are striker fired. I kind of prefer hammers, but from my buying habits I would say it is a weak preference - weaker than I thought a few moments ago.
Old February 26, 2017, 07:50 PM   #30
jaytothekizzay

I own both. Prefer hammer fired, metal guns. Love cz and sig the best...next to the 1911 of coarse.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old February 27, 2017, 08:27 AM   #31
9ballbilly

I like exposed hammers on both revolvers and autoloaders.

Those are the guns I grew up and learned to shoot with, and the ones I'm still most comfortable with. I don't like shrouded hammer revolvers either. I just prefer to have SA/DA or SAO.
Old February 27, 2017, 08:44 AM   #32
Hawg

There are a few SA semi's I would own without hammers but very few and the ones I would have are very old. You couldn't give me a revolver without a hammer on it no matter how old it is. I don't like DAO and won't own one. I do own two DA revolvers with hammers and both are only fired SA but don't want any more and those were made in the 30's. I bought a Glock once just to see if I could learn to like it. I couldn't, I despised the thing from the get go.
Old February 27, 2017, 10:59 AM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

The way I see it, if it DOESN'T have a hammer, it better have a safety.

And I mean a safety lever, button, (push or slide) one that stays in the position you set it, until YOU decide to change it. I will accept a decocking lever, although I do not understand WHY anyone would make a decocking "safety", but they do.

I believe that a safety, when placed "on", should prevent the gun from firing, when the hand is in the shooting grip and the trigger is deliberately pulled, as well as when it is not.

I own a couple dozen pistols, roughly evenly split between revolvers and semi autos, with a couple of single shots as well.

The only centerfire ones I own that are striker fired are my P.08 Lugers, and my Remington XP-100, and they both have safeties!
Old February 27, 2017, 12:06 PM   #34
RoughDivider

Either or for me, I buy guns based on how they look and how they fit my hand, other than my two inherited revolvers. Next on my list of guns to buy after I finish up two ARs is either a P226 or a 1911. Such a difficult decision.
Old February 27, 2017, 04:17 PM   #35
JDBerg

I have hammer-fired and striker-fired pistols, both types are useful for their intended purposes so I really don't have a preference for one type vs. another.
Old February 27, 2017, 09:43 PM   #36
North East Redneck

Not sure where I fit as a young or old guy, probably young on this forum. '76 gen x. I prefer single action revolvers. Cap and ball, cap and ball guns converted to center fire, cartridge SA guns such as the Blackhawk. Those are what I like to shoot the most.
As far as carry pieces, DAO J frame 442 and striker fired M&P 45c. Have even carried a CX .22, hammer fired.
As long as the gun is safe to carry and goes bang when I squeeze the trigger, I'm adaptable.
Prefer to not have a safety on a carry piece, heavy trigger is OK, I can get used to it.

Last edited by North East Redneck; February 27, 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old February 28, 2017, 09:31 PM   #37
osbornk

Until I got to thinking, I didn't realize how unbalanced by little collection has become. I recently sold 3 of my old guns to a friend and a brother. I am down to just 13. 5 or my 6 long guns are striker fired but 5 of my 7 handguns are hammer fired.

I don't have a preference of a hammer over a striker but there is just something special about a revolver, a 1911 and a lever action rifle.
Old March 1, 2017, 08:50 PM   #38
rodfac

Quote:
I grew up on 1911s and revolvers. I like the safety of holstering my gun with my thumb on the hammer so I can feel if it moves.
Me too. And until your post, I'd never given it a thought as to my buying habits. Looking through the safe, I've found a Glock, a Luger, and a S&W Bodyguard 380 are the only ones without a hammer...guess I like 'em. Heck, even my wife's Smith 637 has a hammer, and no, she nor I have ever had trouble with hangups in clothing, purses or pockets with it. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 2, 2017, 11:17 AM   #39
kyguy1

If I have a da revolver, I prefer with a hammer. Just makes me feel more in control somehow. Unless you're talking about a really small pocket revolver, for me a revolver would mainly be for home defense/nightstand, so wouldn't require a hammerless one. Just up to the individual.
Old March 2, 2017, 11:50 AM   #40
Cheapshooter

Just a quick mental count, seems I own around 2/1 exposed hammer to striker fired pistols. With a couple internal, or shielded DAO hammer fired.
It really doesn't matter to me in general range use. But for carry I prefer a "hammerless" design. Be it striker, or non-exposed hammer.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 2, 2017, 12:27 PM   #41
mavracer

If we're getting into percentages I'm 27 to 9 in favor of hammers for centerfire and 8-0 for rimfires.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old March 3, 2017, 08:01 AM   #42
Siggy-06

On my semi autos, I dont mind if it's hammer or striker fired, as long as the trigger is good. On my revolvers, I prefer an exposed hammer for SA availability.
Old March 3, 2017, 09:44 AM   #43
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
The way I see it, if it DOESN'T have a hammer, it better have a safety.

And I mean a safety lever, button, (push or slide) one that stays in the position you set it, until YOU decide to change it. I will accept a decocking lever, although I do not understand WHY anyone would make a decocking "safety", but they do.

I believe that a safety, when placed "on", should prevent the gun from firing, when the hand is in the shooting grip and the trigger is deliberately pulled, as well as when it is not.

I own a couple dozen pistols, roughly evenly split between revolvers and semi autos, with a couple of single shots as well.

The only centerfire ones I own that are striker fired are my P.08 Lugers, and my Remington XP-100, and they both have safeties!
There's a lot to be said for that.

Might I add that for a self defense handgun, it should be possible to disengage that safety quickly, using the shooting hand.
Old March 3, 2017, 09:57 AM   #44
TBT

I guess I like hammers since I learned on a 1911 and currently am a disciple of DA/SA. I don't hate striker guns though and love the Glock design. I do wish there were more options with manual safeties with these much improved striker triggers. I would feel better about them if they had a 1911-type TS.
Old March 3, 2017, 10:16 AM   #45
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I do wish there were more options with manual safeties with these much improved striker triggers. I would feel better about them if they had a 1911-type TS.
I had one that did.

The problem was that unlike the 1911, the gun required a conscious effort to put the thumb on the safety and disengage it--the thumb did not naturally fall on the safety.

I think it likely that that possibility, and the goal of reducing parts count, led to the wide-spread use of Glock-type guns. Just pick it up and fire it.....

I failed to disengage the safety once in a training session. That was scary. I now carry a gun with a grip safety.
Old March 3, 2017, 04:49 PM   #46
Boncrayon

Hammer or stricker

Depends mostly on what feels right on the grip of your carry. Hammer means visual absurdness of action, while striker is an internal mechanism that does the same thing to the primer. If safety is the issue, the mechanics are either visual or faith in the mechanism. It all boils down with the manufacturer and the safety issue.

Example: I used the Ruger LC9 as CCW for a couple years, but found it to be too restricting on the trigger pull and reset travel. The LC9S corrected this "safety" issue with a striker fire option that reduced the trigger pull by 50% and reset by 35%... Same frame but better mechanics. The evolution of striker fire firearms with reputable names are changing the playing field.

However, my joy is still the Desert Eagle 1911 at the range with a superior trigger and hammer...but not my CCW.
Old March 4, 2017, 07:35 AM   #47
tsillik

Proud owner of 11 pistols, all with hammers.