The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 24, 2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Pale_Rider

Left handed CCW

Hello all, Im relatively new to shooting and looking to purchase a good pistol for CCW. I currently own a PX4 Storm but its a bit big to carry IWB for me and Im also looking for a gun that is a step further in the "ambi" or left handers direction. I am ambidextrous but am left eye dominant so it makes more sense for me to shoot lefty. Im looking at the HK P2000sk as the best option Ive seen for a lightweight Lefty friendly gun. Due to weight and ammo cost, Im mostly interested in 9mm. I like the idea of a Glock but the grips seem to be too short and half of my hand is off of the grip which is uncomfortable for me. I do not want one of the tiny guns. Id like any suggestions that you guys and girls may have. Thanks in advance.
Old February 24, 2017, 03:43 PM   #2
jmhyer

I can't help much with hammer fired options. If you'd be interested in striker fired options, I'd highly recommend the M&P compact and the FNS compact. Both have ambi slide releases. The mag release on the M&P is easily reversed for lefties and the mag release on the FNS is ambi.

Also, I'm a lefty that is right-eye dominant. With handguns, shooting with dominant hand and eye being opposite is easy. My point being that, if shooting righty is in any way more comfortable, then aiming with the dominant left eye shouldn't be a problem.

Another reason to shoot righty is the wider availability of holsters. Most makers offer lefty options, however, they sometimes aren't as readily and quickly obtained.

Not trying to mess you up; just wanted to present some things that you may not have considered.
Old February 24, 2017, 06:44 PM   #3
lefteye

In my opinion (based on more than 60 years of experience) eye dominance is almost irrelevant shooting handguns. Rotating my head VERY SLIGHTLY to allow my dominant left eye to have the best view of the sights and target enables accurate shooting holding the handgun in my right hand. However, with my Dad's assistance and advice, I switched to left-handed shooting long guns when I began shooting .22 rifles (about 1955 or even earlier if I remember correctly.) When I bought my first bow, I instantly learned that it had to be left-handed.
Old February 25, 2017, 07:00 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

M&P Compact or a Walther PPS are both very left hand friendly.
Old February 25, 2017, 07:06 AM   #5
Brian48

Ruger SR9C?
Old February 25, 2017, 08:24 AM   #6
Pale_Rider

Thank you for the advice on both guns and switching hands. I'm open minded to anything. I want to get started on the right foot(no pun intended) so it's good to hear that shooting right handed with my left eye is still an option. I'm not opposed to the striker fired pistols either. I'm just starting to learn about this stuff. I've had a couple of guns for years but since I lived in MD, they were useless outside of taking them to a range once in awhile. Now that I've moved to VA and there open carry and easily attained CCW permits, I'm registered for all of the classes to learn the laws and more safety before I purchase a gun that I'd carry. Also, does anyone ever carry .22 cal? I guess I'm thinking it'd be nice to be able to defend myself if ever needed with out the murder change afterwards hahaha.
Old February 25, 2017, 09:03 AM   #7
FITASC

Which Glock has a grip that is too short? The G26? Either look at the 19 or get the Pearce XL grip extension - not their regular one - that extra 1/4" makes all the difference for me in getting all three fingers fully on the grip of my 26. Unless you go HKP7, it's really hard to find a better ambi gun than a Glock
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 25, 2017, 09:28 AM   #8
ammo.crafter

left ccw

My daughter is left hand dominant and is most comfortable with her
Walther PPK 380acp which functions flawlessly with 380+p ammo as well.
Old February 25, 2017, 11:40 AM   #9
l.cutler

The Honor Guard made by Honor Defense is ambidextrous, new company but mine has quickly become my favorite hand gun.
Old February 25, 2017, 02:38 PM   #10
CDW4ME

http://cabotgun.com/left-hand-1911s/...th-paw-1911/#1

Old February 25, 2017, 07:11 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

The latest SWAT magazine has an article on the Glock 19M. The slide stop is ambidextrous, and if it's like the Gen 4 (& I suspect without knowing that it is), you should be able to reverse the mag release.

Here's a blog post about it:
https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/0...s-pistol-well/

I have no idea when, or even if, these will be available to the public. I see no reason why they wouldn't be made available, though.
Old February 25, 2017, 09:34 PM   #12
sakata8242

If you're eyeing the P2000SK then take a look also at the P30SK. Fully ambi out of the box like the P2000SK. Grip on the P30 is also more customizable. The newer ones seem to be shipping with pinky extensions on the magazines as well.
Old February 25, 2017, 11:19 PM   #13
Cosmodragoon

The PX4 is a great gun but it is a full-sized gun. Adjusting how you carry or trying different holsters can go a long way but in the end, like so many other full-sized guns, it might still be a little too much for comfortable concealed carry. One last thing to check before moving on from your PX4 is the safety levers. It might sound strange but I've found that a lot of the perceived width in that gun is those darned bat-wings that stick out on both sides.

Luckily, there is a relatively inexpensive solution that I think not only streamlines the gun for carry but makes it look a lot nicer. It switches the manual safety to "decocker only" but if you are considering alternatives without manual safeties anyway, it shouldn't be a concern. Here is a link to that $75 solution from Beretta:

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/bere...-only-/e00348/

Here is a link to a thread on another forum that discusses the upgrade and shows the difference side by side in pictures.

http://www.handgunforum.net/beretta/...-comments.html

That said, there is also a PX4 Compact model available. Just be sure to explore these options for your existing gun first.
Old February 26, 2017, 03:24 PM   #14
disseminator

I am left eye dominant and I shoot right handed. It's no problem at all as others have mentioned. Just align your sights to your left eye instead of the right.

I have no problem shooting rifles either way so I stick with right handed as I have much better dexterity with my right vs the left. (Being right handed)

There are other GOOD reasons to choose an ambidextrous weapon vs one designed just for righties. One is if your right hand becomes injured, you can still manipulate and shoot easier. This is not a big deal, but worth considering.

IMO, the M&P pistols from the compact to the full size meet your requirements better than most. They feature ambi slide locks which makes off handed, or left handed, operation 100 times easier.

I even find myself using the opposite control from time to time.
Old February 27, 2017, 04:13 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

As a lefty, I did want to point out that other than my left handed bolt action rifle and an ambi safety on my 1911, it is very easy to adapt to most handed guns very quickly.

Typically any function you would perform with your right thumb can be performed with your left index finger.
Old March 7, 2017, 09:40 AM   #16
HistoryJunky

I am an eeevil left hander as well. For me there are only 2 things that really matter for a CC gun. IF they do not possess these features then I will not buy it.

1. Ambi-Safety, if the gun has a safety.
2. Reversible or ambi magazine release.

I think that the slide stop/release being ambi is more of an optional thing. I have small hands, so I cannot reach the slide release on most firearms to begin with. I rack the slide on all my firearms, even if I can reach the slide release.

I'm actually having a bit of a similar struggle as you right now. Trying to decide what I want for a subcompact, double stack 9 that is ambi friendly.

If you just want a compact gun, I would recommend the CZ P-07. I have one that I carry every day. It is about the size of a Glock 19. It has controls fairly similiar to your PX4.
Old March 7, 2017, 04:07 PM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
Left handed CCW
Hello all, Im relatively new to shooting and looking to purchase a good pistol for CCW. I currently own a PX4 Storm but its a bit big to carry IWB for me and Im also looking for a gun that is a step further in the "ambi" or left handers direction. I am ambidextrous but am left eye dominant so it makes more sense for me to shoot lefty. Im looking at the HK P2000sk as the best option Ive seen for a lightweight Lefty friendly gun. Due to weight and ammo cost, Im mostly interested in 9mm. I like the idea of a Glock but the grips seem to be too short and half of my hand is off of the grip which is uncomfortable for me. I do not want one of the tiny guns. Id like any suggestions that you guys and girls may have. Thanks in advance.
Bersa Ultra Carry. Fully ambidextrous safety and slide catch, reversible magazine release.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 7, 2017, 05:10 PM   #18
FITASC

In the used but still great category, and IMO, the ONLY truly ambidextrous gun is the HK P7. The only exterior button is for taking the gun down.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 7, 2017, 05:18 PM   #19
pax

Since you're in Virginia and want to get started on the right foot, I'd recommend giving John Murphy of FPF Training a call. He runs excellent classes and can help keep you from going down some very expensive dead ends.

pax
Old March 18, 2017, 11:28 AM   #20
drobs

Also left handed. I carry a Glock 19. I can access the slide release and mag release with my left index finger.
Old March 18, 2017, 05:51 PM   #21
Boncrayon

Left handed CCW

Eye dominance is "relevant" in finding the individual workings of one's dominance or preference of hand to eye sighting. There are right-handers with left dominant eyes and left-handers with right eye dominance. Changing hands is an option to correcting what our brains are telling us. I can shoot with my astigmatism by closing my alternate eye and practicing. Everything takes practice to set the brain's expectation. Try placing a piece of paper over your dominant eye and use the other eye to sight with the front sight. Try the other configurations and see if there is a possible compromise. Try all angles for the direct line of sight so you do not have to turn your head sideways to your line of sight.

Last edited by Boncrayon; March 20, 2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old March 18, 2017, 10:29 PM   #22
lefteye

As I stated eye dominance is almost irrelevant shooting handguns. Eye dominance is easily overcome shooting handguns as I explained in my post. Eye dominance is critical shooting long guns unless that the dominance is very slight.
Old March 21, 2017, 09:50 AM   #23
pax

Yup, Lefteye is correct: eye dominance simply does not matter when shooting modern defensive handguns.

It still matters for those who want to shoot in the old bullseye style (sighting straight down the arm from the shoulder), and it matters to long gun shooters.

But for handguns? Nope.

Changing hands to match the eye dominance is often among the worst possible advice one can give a new shooter. Let me quote my friend and colleague, Karl Rehn, on that subject: "As a right-handed, left-eye-dominant shooter that made IPSC Grand Master shooting that way, and as someone with 25 years’ experience teaching adult handgun classes, I strongly disagree with NRA’s position that the best way to teach right-handed, left-eye-dominant adult shooters to shoot handguns is to require them to shoot left handed."

Use the hand that you prefer.

Use your eyes however you need to use your eyes in order to line up your sights.

Press the trigger smoothly and follow through with every shot.

Get good training from a competent professional instructor to avoid wasting a lot of time and ammo money developing bad habits that you'll have to correct later.

pax
Old March 21, 2017, 10:03 AM   #24
lee n. field

Quote:
Use your eyes however you need to use your eyes in order to line up your sights.
I'm right handed, and weakly right eye dominant. Sometimes I find myself peering down the sights with my left eye, ignoring what the right eye sees. Yes, it still works.

But learning to shoot left handed would be, I can tell, a real struggle.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; March 21, 2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old March 21, 2017, 10:21 AM   #25
pax

lee n field,

Quote:
I'm right handed, and weakly right eye dominant. Sometimes I find myself peering down the sights with my left eye, ignoring the right eye sees.
And that, right there, is why I actively think it is a bad idea for an instructor to run a quick test of their students' eye dominance, and then make everyone shoot with whichever hand matches the eye that tested dominant in that moment.

For many people, eye dominance is nowhere near as straightforward as it's often been made out to be.

A single test can lie. A series of tests can lie, especially if they are all performed on the same day in the same lighting conditions. A person's eyes can perform very differently on different tasks -- that is, they can test strongly right eye dominant when the task is bringing a thumb-finger circle up to the eye, but be strongly left eye dominant when the task is to focus on a front sight. Also, though ones hates to admit it, the test can be badly administered and thus not at all reflective of how a person actually uses their eyes.

And ... eye dominance still doesn't matter much when it comes to actually shooting the handgun accurately and effectively. Many other variables matter a lot more.

pax

Tags
ccw guns , left handed