The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 31, 2012, 08:24 AM   #1
NJgunowner

Internet Ammo Ban Proposed

Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), are proposing a new law to ban internet ammo a sales.

The gist of it is the bill would prohibit ammunition sales from anyone but licensed firearms dealers and require ammunition buyers to present photo IDs before each purchase, in person, effectively ending the practice of online sales. The proposal would also require dealers to report bulk ammunition purchases of more than 1,000 rounds within 5 business days.

Sounds like it's time to start the write in's. They expect a vote next week, and in the words of the two senators, they believe it has a good chance of passing.

This isn't a sky is falling thread, I don't believe it stands a snowballs chance in... well the midwest this summer of passing. But it's a good time to remind the politicians who's really in charge and find out how much they value their careers.
Old July 31, 2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Motownstan

ZERO chance of that passing
Old July 31, 2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Patriot86

This is just a political ploy so that a certain president and a certain party who have a big election in the fall can stand up and scream about how a certain other party "Is allowing ammunition and dangerous weapons into the hands of the mentally unstable and criminals". It has zero chance in the house.

The worst part is this would do basically nothing to stop any kind of future violence by mentally ill or unstable individuals. It wouldn't have stopped Columbine, The Gabby Giffords shooting, NIU, VA Tech or the Aurora Colorado shootings. At best it would have made the last one a little less convenient for the shooter and perhaps a little more expensive.
Old July 31, 2012, 09:04 AM   #4
okiefarmer

But he had 5900 rounds left over, so effectively, the bulk purchase is a moot point. I really don't see the difference in what we do now compared to what we did before Al invented the innerweb. We got out the magazine, located the "deal" we wanted on ammo, either called it in or mailed it in, and waited by the mailbox. The innerwb has just made finding the 'great' deals a whole lot easier. Mail order sales has always been a faceless transaction, other than the copy of the DL we usually sent in to assure we were of age. The bill is a feelgood piece of crap, and will accomplish nothing more than driving up prices of ammo with more scare hype.
Old July 31, 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
NJgunowner

It is pretty funny. I wouldn't want to lug 500 rounds around, let alone 6000! The guys clearly have no idea what that amount of ammo weighs.
Old July 31, 2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Woody55

Even the White House has been cool to this bill.
Old July 31, 2012, 09:40 AM   #7
NJgunowner

If they could sneak it through congress I'd bet the White House would warm up to it really fast.
Old July 31, 2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If by "cool," you mean, "no way in heck are we touching that with someone else's ten-foot pole," you're right.

That said, let's keep discussion to the bill itself, and not the unfortunate events that supposedly inspired it.
Old July 31, 2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Get active

While I don't really think any of these recent gun-control measures has much of a chance of passage, I would suggest that now is the time to get active. Write to your senators and representatives. Remind them that this ploy needs to fail. If you don't know who your people are, go look here:
http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Also, here's what I sent in. You may all feel free to copy, paste, plagiarize and edit as you see fit:
--------------------------------------------
Dear ______,
By way of introduction, my name is ______, and I am an attorney in _____, Arkansas. In fact, I am many things: husband, father, attorney, hunter, and gun owner, just to name a few. I have been following legal developments in Washington for quite some time, and, in particular, those events that might impact my rights under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, and its counterpart under the Arkansas Constitution.

I have recently read that several disturbing bills and amendments have been offered in the wake of the Aurora, Colorado, shooting, including: (1) an amendment to a Cybersecurity bill which would affect possession or transfer of magazines with a capacity greater than ten rounds; and (2) a bill which would effectively ban internet ammunition sales by requiring presentation of photo identification and record-keeping on ammunition sales. While I certainly grieve for the families that lost loved ones in Aurora, Colorado, and in the other mass shootings that have occurred, I urge you to oppose bills such as those listed with all of the resources at your disposal. The problem with mass shooters is typically a mental health issue more than anything. I liken bills such as the ones I listed to a bill that would make it more difficult for sober drivers to purchase cars, on the theory that some other person might drive while intoxicated. Neither violent criminals nor the mentally ill can reasonably be expected to obey any such law. Only law-abiding citizens will be adversely affected. I believe the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports on cities such as New York, Chicago, and Washington D.C., which have some of the most stringent gun control laws in the country, will bear out my assertion that gun control laws do not decrease violent crime, but only disarm potential victims.

Thank you for your time and attention in this.

Cordially,
INSERT YOUR NAME HERE

Last edited by Spats McGee; July 31, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old July 31, 2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Spats, that's very nicely done. It's clear, and more important, it's concise and focused. Legislators rarely read their mail; that's done by secretaries, and they are already overburdened.

I've sat in a state senator's office and read his mail. Letters like that stand out and get noticed.
Old July 31, 2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Thanks, Tom.
Old August 1, 2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Horny Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motownstan
Zero chance on a national level (at the moment), but I believe it's likely that NJ will enact an online ammo purchase ban. If such a bill were to make it to the Governor's desk, he would jump on it.

We Don't Need No Steenking 2nd Amendment

Last edited by Tom Servo; August 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Funny, but inappropriate
Old August 1, 2012, 11:22 AM   #13
HarrySchell

The CA Legislature passed a ban like this and Arnie signed it. It was so vague that it was overturned in court. The sponsor has been working on a revised bill.

I suspect it will surface sometime soon. With the mess we are in, these clowns need to appear to be "doing something".
Old August 1, 2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
I believe it's likely that NJ will enact an online ammo purchase ban.
Kind of a moot point, isn't it? IIRC most if not all on-line ammo suppliers won't ship to NJ, CA, NY, or MA.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old August 1, 2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Horny Toad

Incorrect (as far as NJ is concerned). I haven't stepped foot inside a gun shop to purchase ammo in 20 years. Online purchases exclusively.

We Don't Need No Steenking 2nd Amendment

Old August 1, 2012, 12:26 PM   #16
NJgunowner

Same here, I buy from CTD and a couple of others all the time. What LGS's charge for ammo in this state should be a crime in itself.
Old August 1, 2012, 02:52 PM   #17
rebs

Jeez why don't these politicians work on solving unemployment and economy problems ? They act as if they have nothing better to do than hassle law abiding citizens.
Old August 1, 2012, 03:11 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Think this bill was meant to fail, even by its writers. But, I believe they intended it to serve a few purposes:
1. Make it appear as if they're are "doing something" to fight back against the 'evil'.
2. Try to get some more support, while the bill is whittled down to only a few items from the initial list of restrictions/bans.
3. Test the waters to see the public's reaction, in preparation for a potential push for gun control legislation if BHO were to be re-elected.

No matter what, even some Democrats that would normally support a bill like this seem to consider this one's timing as exceptionally poor.
Old August 1, 2012, 09:30 PM   #19
spanishjames

Quote:
Quote:
That's only because the election is three months away. In a year, if the same politicians are in power, there could be a bigger push and suppert for further restrictions.