The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 23, 2012, 07:57 PM   #1
terry56

new to shooting

Have had a gun for awhile, just joined a club and really like shooting. Some of the shoots require you to holster your gun before you shoot. I've searched for many holsters on the net, but can't really tell what they are like...so.
I'm a left handed shooter, 1911 pt92 taurus 9mm. I also have a rugar 22/45MKIII.
What do you lefties find comfortable and easy? I've seen holsters for 100's of dollars. There has got to be a more comfortable price, maybe 40 50 bucks?
thanks
Terry
Old January 23, 2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Ryan19D

Terry

Well first your lucky that you have a clone of one of the most popular/ widely recreated handgun in the world. As with anything else gun related, purpose is the question. If all you are going to use the holster for is your gun club, then there's no need to get some military/police swat holster (unless of course you want to be super cool guy). You have 3 different types of materials to choose from: Leather (all different animals), Polymers (molded and unmolded) and Nylons. Leather cost varies from brand and type of animal, colors, and designs. You'll get what you pay for and cheaper usually isn't better. Polymers are relatively cheap IF your careful. I prefer Fobus brand holsters, they are an Israeli based company who deal in all 3 types of holsters, but I have used their polymer holsters and have yet to have a problem. Nylon holsters, well don't be that cheap.

As far as where the holsters go, that's a question of purpose. You have over the shoulders, on the hip ( on the belt, inside the belt, paddle),drop led and ankle. Over the shoulders are nice to carry, but not really to good for the draw. On the hip is the simplest and most common, easy to draw, carry and conceal. Again I prefer a paddle style holster. It uses a big paddle to distribute the weight along your entire hip and has a pretty stable draw platform.

I hope this helps you out a bit.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:58 PM   #3
terry56

"(unless of course you want to be super cool guy)"
hahahahaha nope gettin to old for that!
where is a good place for the poly ones? You shoot left?
And maybe a hat...now that would be cool......lol
Terry
Old January 23, 2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Ryan19D

Terry,
I am not a left handed shooter although I did find something that I think fits your needs and I personally own for my Taurus PT111 Pro. With shipping it will fit in your budget also. Here is the link:

http://www.fobusholster.com/products...ND-3871-0.html

As far as hats go, being a Cavalry Scout in the army I wear a Stetson. www.millerhats.com is where I order from.
Old January 24, 2012, 07:53 PM   #5
terry56

Thanks,
Nice hats...
Terry
Old January 25, 2012, 12:43 PM   #6
10-96

For range and field use- I would think one of these would fit your need quite well: http://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-Comerc.../dp/B000AL9CTY

I must admit that I didn't realize these things had gotten so expensive. However, they do work well, and they are truly ambidextrious. Mine does a great job with not only 1911 and Beretta- but also my Browning Buck Mark and Sigs 225, 220- and my CZ75.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.