The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 18, 2017, 05:25 PM   #1
lwestatbus

Picking the Correct Replacement Pistol Sight

I am considering replacing the sights on a new (to me) S&W Model 3913. I've never done anything like this before (but if you review some of my recent posts you'll know why I'm considering it now).

In searching for sights by the pistol's model I find some results but I am also getting the impression that some sights are sold by some other designation which may pertain to the style of cutout in the slide.

Any advice on how to be sure I am buying a suitable sight based on fit to the frame for this pistol? I'll probably do a separate post asking for recommendations on an exact sight once I determine whether or not I am going to move forward with replacement.
Old March 19, 2017, 10:28 AM   #2
Tom-R2

You might see if there are any YouTube videos on the potential sights you are considering, or if someone has a video on replacing sights on the 3913. I'm not sure if some retailers have original sights for sale. I'll bet there are several after-market brands that are good quality and reasonably priced. I check lots of videos on various topics. Sometimes you have to ignore 80% of what they say because it's off topic, repeated or just unscripted but sometimes there are nuggets of information - and the video closeups - that gives me the information I am looking for.
Old March 19, 2017, 01:10 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Smith Model 3913, 3913LS, 3913NL, 3913TSW, 3914, 3953, 3953TSW and 3954's all have the same sight dovetail(dovetails are your friend. 1911 front sights are peened on or soldered.). You need to buy a front and rear, matched, set. Difference between 'em is usually the height of the front blade.
Only real issue with changing dovetailed sights is getting the sight centred correctly in the dovetail. A brass drift and a plastic mallet will get it on, but getting it right really requires a sight pusher. Pricey things, so they are.
The direction you push matters too. Usually right to left to remove. Opposite for putting on. As observed from the rear.
Oh and secure the thing in a padded vise. You'll need both hands.
"...whether or not I am going to move forward..." How well can you see the front sight? Changing sights is mostly about visibility.
Old March 20, 2017, 07:20 PM   #4
USMCFO

Iwestatbus, I recently replaced the fixed sights on my 3913TSW with adjustable sights from Novak. While some say they can knock out the front sight with a hammer and drift, I highly recommend investing in a good sight pusher, or send the slide to a place like Novak Sights, as S&W installs those front sights extremely snug, if your pistol has the original sights, it may be in there very tight.

Also, a call to Novak Sights will get you fixed up with a proper replacement, they know what they are doing with sights for S&W.