The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 16, 2017, 08:42 PM   #1
Huh12345

IS THERE ANY CRITISISM OF THE TIKKA T3x

This is a legitimate inquiry.

I plan on getting a tikka t3x lite stainless in .308 and to be frank I've had trouble finding any big or small downside to the gun with the exception of maybe the polymer magazine. Is there any issues anyone has had with this gun. And also, is the extra money for stainless worth it? I know stainless isn't 100% rust resistant but it much be significantly more rust resistant than blued. Seriously open to the smallest most petty of critisims.
Old March 16, 2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Scorch

As I said in the other thread you opened on this same subject, the Tikka T3 will kick harder than most rifles in any given caliber because they are so light. Other than that, they are great rifles.
Old March 17, 2017, 06:08 AM   #3
NHSHOOTER

Huh12345 I do own a Tikka T3 lite in 223 and it surely is a shooter. The only drawback is the fact that they only make a long action even in the short calibers ie; 223,243,308 I just put a lighter trigger spring in mine so I now have about a 1lb trigger. As far as paying more for stainless. I own a few rifles and 1 of which is stainless, I hunt with the blue and stainless and to be honest I see no difference in the 2, I care for them the same way and never have problems with rust etc. When they get wet I take em home and dry em, lightly oil em, good as new..
Old March 17, 2017, 07:28 AM   #4
Mobuck

"the Tikka T3 will kick harder than most rifles in any given caliber because they are so light"

I know a guy who bought one. He said it was the hardest kicking 270 he ever shot. That's all I've got.
Old March 17, 2017, 07:43 AM   #5
Wheels Up

The Tikka T3 is Sako's economy line rifle. It has some plastic parts such as the bolt shroud and the magazine. It has 2 front locking lugs compared to 3 on the Sako 85. This really isn't much of an issue though because 2 front locking lugs is the norm. The Tikka is a push feed ( like the Remington 700 and post 64 model 70 Winchester) compared to the Sako 85's sort of semi - controlled feed. The Sako 85 doesn't actually grab the cartridge until the bolt is almost shut unlike a Mauser type controlled feed which grabs the cartridge right out of the magazine. The Tikka's bolt face, extractor and plunger style ejector are very similar to the post-64 Winchester model 70 (or the earlier Remington 700 except for the clip stye extractor). I believe the receiver is an investment casting (but I'm not quite sure on that) which is quite common these days and is used on many rifles like the Ruger 77/Hawkeye for example. As was previously mentioned the Tikka only comes in one action length which isn't really that big of a deal except to maybe the benchrest crowd but it does require a longer than necessary bolt travel . Also, as mentioned before the Tikkas are quite light and they do kick a lot. A guy I know sold his 308 Tikka in part because it kicked so hard. All in all they are good rifles though and usually shoot quite well. Oh yeah, one more thing, some people find the Tikka's loading/ejection port to be on the small side. It's a little tight, especially if you have big hands to get in there to clean or clear a jam.

Last edited by Wheels Up; March 17, 2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old March 17, 2017, 09:49 AM   #6
Huh12345

I think the T3x has addressed many of these issues that the T3 had. They now have a mettalic bolt shroud and has a recoil lug in the stock. Maybe investing in a quality recoil pad and throwing on a bipod could help to alleviate the issue by increasing the weight by a little.
Old March 17, 2017, 11:46 AM   #7
handlerer2

There are things I like about the Tikka and some things I don't. I don't own one, but I kind of like the looks.

The first one I had ever handled was at the Scheels in Billings. At first I thought it might be a very heavy stamping. The bar stock that it is machined from, just looks thin to me. I'm used to heavier stuff.

Tikka has a reputation for accuracy and some of it's details are really ingenious, IMO. The staggered bolt design is totally unique. The owners of them are as rabid in their devotion as MDL 70 owners.

From what I understand the biggest problem is with company not the product. There is a respected member of this forum, a gunsmith, who has expressed exasperation dealing with Tikka. Chuck Hawks, what ever you think of his site, was cut off by Tikka after honest review.

I sort of like the design, but think Tikkas are over priced, for what it is. It is better finished than Axis or Ruger American, but should cost no more than than $100 more, IMO. Other than the fit and finish there is no real qualitative difference between it and any other entry level rifle, again in my opinion.

You really can't go wrong too bad now days. Even the entry level is generally accurate, durable and lightweight
Old March 17, 2017, 12:20 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...Tikkas are over priced..." Yep, but a lot of that is simple economics. Exchange rates(not terribly ugly), shipping rates, duties, etc.
"...a 1lb trigger..." Isn't safe in a hunting rifle.
The T3 Lite weighs 6 3/16 pounds. Very light for a .308 hunting rifle. Ok for lugging around, but not fun for an afternoon of practice.
Old March 17, 2017, 12:52 PM   #9
603Country

I have a T3 Lite Stainless in 260. Absolutely great rifle. The ONLY gripe I have is that the design of the receiver prevents me from carrying it in one hand with my thumb between the rifle and scope. Other than that, it's light (a good thing), super accurate, great stock trigger, easy to handle, and low maintenance. I think I wiped it down with an oily rag last summer.

Kicks very little with 100 gr bullets. Kicks a bit with hot loads of 120 gr bullets, but still is nowhere near significant. Probably in 270 it would kick you a bit with hot loads of 130 gr bullets.

The Tikka quickly became my favorite rifle, and I use it for hogs, coyote, and deer. My Sako and Rutgers stay in the gun safe these days.

I really don't think you can get a better rifle in this price range.
Old March 17, 2017, 12:55 PM   #10
Wyosmith

The Tikka bolt handles are dovetailed into the bolt bodies. 4 have come to my shop in the last few years that had the bolt body break at the dovetails. Not the bolt handle. The bolt BODIES!

In every case TIKKA refused to replace the bolt and they have absolutely NO warranty at all, and do NOTHING if the gun breaks and it's no fault of the owner.

I am impressed with TIKKAs accuracy and smoothness, but knowing the bolts can break and that they do NOTHING for the owner if they do, I recommend against ever buying a TIKKA
Old March 17, 2017, 05:26 PM   #11
Dranrab

I have heard mostly high praise for Tikka rifles. The only real complaints I have ever heard were customer service and warranty related. If you are one of the rare ones that gets a bad gun, you are likely screwed. Someone clear me up on this. Is their short action a true short action?
Old March 17, 2017, 06:28 PM   #12
TheBear

it kicks like a mule.
Old March 17, 2017, 07:15 PM   #13
NHSHOOTER

The "short" action is not a true short action and when I said 1 lb trigger I never said it was a hunting rifle. I only use it at the range for punching paper, its a 223.
Old March 18, 2017, 11:53 PM   #14
DPI7800

Not trying to derail thread but not sure why a 1 pound trigger is not safe for hunting.

Don't think it is right to use a blanket statement like that. Everybody has different hunting practices.
Old March 19, 2017, 02:31 AM   #15
NHSHOOTER

I totally agree with you DPI7800,
Old March 19, 2017, 03:17 PM   #16
disseminator

So this isn't a criticism of the Tikka rifle exactly but an opinion that the t3x is overpriced for what you are getting.

I looked at the T3x and considered the rifle both on it's own, and in comparison to the "real" rifle is is meant to emulate: the Sako series rifles.

I came away with the opinion that the Sako is a fine rifle but there are too many cost cutting measures applied to the T3x to be worth the price IMO.

Far from a hater, I went with a Sako A7 Roughtech in 308 Win which has most of the Sako 85 features and a more working man price. I shoot 170g Lapua Naturalis from the 308 at 2800 fps (near full power) and I have no issue with the recoil at all.

Check it out, you might find the same.
Old March 19, 2017, 06:18 PM   #17
hdbiker

Tikka t3 Light

I've had mine for several years now and it's a joy to shoot and scary accurate. bought an extra magazine for it, 65 bucks
Old March 20, 2017, 01:10 PM   #18
dgludwig

Quote:
Not trying to derail thread but not sure why a 1 pound trigger is not safe for hunting.

Don't think it is right to use a blanket statement like that. Everybody has different hunting practices.
I agree with the "blanket statement" admonition but I also feel that a 1 pound trigger is too light on a hunting rifle, at least too light for my hunting situations. Where I hunt deer it is typically cold and a finger shod with a glove or one that is attached to a shivering hand can cause a rifle to be fired before you mean for it to.
Each to their own as always.