The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 27, 2016, 03:12 PM   #51
Longshot4

I prefer to prep for the worst and a full day hunt.

Of course you have to stop air flow around the body. If it's sub zero and blowing it can be very hard to see... So when I want to spend the day after day hunting in the harsh Michigan, Upper Peninsulas, Keweenaw. We build a 8'x10' blind on 6' poles. Add a few windows, wood burner, coffee pot and fry pan. Also some chili, jerky, salami, bread and what ever else you like. A pile of hard wood under the blind will last a week... and a Polaris Sportsman will get you in and out as long as the snow doesn't get too deep. But I still have to dress with all of those things as have been mentioned along with a flash light and compass when the Lake Superior hawk blows lake effect snow in. The Polaris gets left under the blind and that 600 Yard walk requires the compass and light to get back to camp in the dark. At times I just have to stay at the blind because it is just too much. Then it's time to put another log in the fire.
Old December 27, 2016, 03:15 PM   #52
Longshot4

Oh by the way I like those short Muck lucks.
Old January 25, 2017, 10:22 PM   #53
TheFriendlyMarksman

I try to wear the right fabrics in the winter. Cotton is a very poor insulator, especially when it gets wet. Wool is expensive, but it's worth the money when the weather becomes merciless.
Old January 28, 2017, 09:16 PM   #54
johnwilliamson062

I use a camp chair style ground blind mostly on cold days. The bottom stakes down and I can throw a few chemical warmers by my feet. How much I open the window depends on the wind and what kind of concealment is available.
Really comfortable and great for sleeping.
Easy to carry in and out.
Shot a deer from within ten yards in it, so I don't think I give up much over a tree stand.
https://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-Ten.../dp/B00JH4JBG4
Very similar to that, but not sure it is the same one.
Old January 29, 2017, 05:07 AM   #55
Gunplummer

I usually hunt back 3 miles or more, with a lot of it uphill. I have a good sized pack on. I sweat. I have found that a couple of those thin wicking under clothes that Cabela's sells really helps. I usually have sweat pants over that, with my lucky sweatshirt (Not giving that up). I wear bibs(Could not find orange camo pants anymore)with steel zippers that come up well past the knee. There is a large zipper in the front also. I can open up when walking. All my clothes are waaay oversize. I strap my parka on top of my pack walking in, and have a fleece jacket in the pack. The boots are oversize to get extra socks in. First on the feet are thin wicking socks, then wool socks. It has to be a really miserable day before I cannot take a nap out there.