The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 28, 2016, 02:43 PM   #1
wicat3

Shotgun scope question

Hey everyone. I have a mossberg 500 that I would like to add a scope or red dot too. The receiver is drilled and tapped already. I have two barrels, a bird barrel and a slug barrel. I use it to hunt deer and turkey. I'm looking for a decent scope at an affordable price. I would like to stay around 100 dollars. Any recommendations?
Old November 28, 2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Snyper

If you intend to use both barrels for upland game without removing the optics and base you're pretty much limited to a red dot sight.

If Turkeys are the only birds you hunt you would be better off with a low power scope which will help you see better early and later, and will allow you to see through the brush better.
Old November 28, 2016, 05:43 PM   #3
jmr40

Anything in the $100 range will not hold up to 12 ga slug recoil very long. Decent scopes start with a MSRP of around $200. You may well find something on sale or used closer to $150. But don't waste time or money on a $100 scope on anything but a 22.

These are the least expensive scopes I'd consider. A 1-4X or 1-3X is ideal on a shotgun, but a you can usually find 2-7X scopes of equal quality for a little less money.

http://swfa.com/Redfield-2-7x33-Revo...pe-P44466.aspx
http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classi...ope-P2864.aspx

I don't big game hunt with a shotgun, but If I did this is the one I'd use. I have these on AR's and a lever action rifle for up close work.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-1-...pe-P51851.aspx
Old November 28, 2016, 10:50 PM   #4
wicat3

I will most likely do more deer hunting then anything else. My father in law has a Simmons diamond pro scope that he uses on his 500 and seems to love it. Any experience with this type of scope?
Old November 28, 2016, 11:15 PM   #5
Doc7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
If you intend to use both barrels for upland game without removing the optics and base you're pretty much limited to a red dot sight.

If Turkeys are the only birds you hunt you would be better off with a low power scope which will help you see better early and later, and will allow you to see through the brush better.

The Mossberg 500 slug barrel is a cantilever mount. Scope comes off with the barrel.
Old November 29, 2016, 02:48 AM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
The Mossberg 500 slug barrel is a cantilever mount. Scope comes off with the barrel.
The OP said:
Quote:
The receiver is drilled and tapped already.
The barrels come both with and without the cantilever mount.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/500-...elddeer-54243/

http://www.mossberg.com/product/500-...elddeer-52282/

http://www.mossberg.com/category/ser...0/500-hunting/
Old November 29, 2016, 02:53 AM   #7
Snyper

Quote:
I will most likely do more deer hunting then anything else. My father in law has a Simmons diamond pro scope that he uses on his 500 and seems to love it. Any experience with this type of scope?
I've never thought much of Simmons scopes but some like them.

I like Leupold for most things and have had good results with some Burris scopes. Get the best you can afford and it will last a lifetime (or more) in many cases.
Old November 29, 2016, 08:59 AM   #8
wicat3

I looked into a canterlever barrel but see no need to pay 200 for a barrel when I have a perfect set up as is. I would love a Leopold but price isn't right and I had a bad experience with one of the scopes I bought.
Old December 2, 2016, 10:20 PM   #9
Prof Young

Nikon slug scope . . .

I have a Nikon slug scope that I think I purchased for about $250. It seems to hold true really well. I have to mount and re-sight it every fall for deer season when I put the slug barrel on the 12 ga. I might take 8 or 9 shots to get it sighted in at about 75 yards and it seems to hold true. I know that is outside your budget but over the years, with scopes it's like anything else. You get what you pay for. I bought a really good Pentax scope about ten years ago. It's been on several rifles and still works like new. Plus a life time no fault guarantee. What's not to like.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old December 3, 2016, 12:54 AM   #10
bamaranger

what he said

I'm with Snyper. Any "affordable scope" is a roll of the dice in my experience.

Check ebay if you can do business with them. I've bought multiple Leupolds under $200 bucks, several 1-4x shotgun models, that will stand the test of time, and Leupold will work on them no questions asked if they don't.....but you likely won't need them.

I put a Leupold 2.75x, acquired from ebay, (or was it 2.5x) compact on a pals turkey gun last spring, it was the cats meow. German #1 reticle, & shipping for less than $200.
Old December 3, 2016, 05:20 PM   #11
globemaster3

I have a 500 with the Trophy Slugster barrel (fully rifled, cantilever mount) with a Nikon Slughunter 3-9X40 on top. I hunted Ft Sill with it for their special spring hog seasons when I was stationed at Altus. Worked like a champ. Never had an issue with it holding zero shooting 400gr Winchester Platinum sabot slugs.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old December 3, 2016, 05:50 PM   #12
Blindstitch

Well i'm going to say it. I'm all over the idea of people getting budget scopes when their budget won't flex for better quality.

Tasco scopes will get you on paper for $40. It has been a long time since I broke one of those scopes. And since he intends to use the field barrel also for turkey the scope might not need much adjustment between seasons to shoot 0-50 yards on a turkey.

There could be many reasons why he has this budget. In a 40 mile radius of me is a shotgun/metro zone for deer hunting. Outside that I can use any deer rifle I please. I usually hunt several hundred miles away so it's not a problem but those one or two days a year. So in my case I bought a CVA Optima V2 50 caliber muzzleloader and topped it off with a Tasco Silver antler scope I bought sometime in the 90's. It's a great combo for a 150 yard gun that will barely see use every season.

Yes I just endorsed the inexpensive tasco even though I have a Nikon Prostaff that will be mounted on a rifle that will see more use. Some will even say that $189 scope is junk.
Old December 5, 2016, 11:30 PM   #13
GarandTd

My gamemaster has had a tasco on it for 30 years. It works just fine.
Old December 7, 2016, 05:54 AM   #14
Snyper

Quote:
My gamemaster has had a tasco on it for 30 years. It works just fine.
Tasco 30 years ago was a totally different company.
Old December 7, 2016, 07:25 AM   #15
thallub

Quote:
My father in law has a Simmons diamond pro scope that he uses on his 500 and seems to love it. Any experience with this type of scope?
The Simmons Pro Diamond scope is a good one. i've used them on my slug guns and muzzleloaders for years with no problems.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...e-matte-finish
Old December 8, 2016, 06:03 PM   #16
GarandTd

Quote:
Tasco 30 years ago was a totally different company.
I don't disagree, but I don't believe they were ever a highly regarded optic. Mine is not Japanese made, but Korean. I guess my point is one doesn't necessarily need to spend a fortune to get a decent functional scope.
Old December 8, 2016, 07:12 PM   #17
Blindstitch

There's two schools. Once school that thinks that everyone has to buy top glass (Swarovski/Zeiss) to shoot the wings off a fly even if their rifle can't do it.

And the other that buys what they can to get the job done for cheap recreation or feed their family.

I've never had a deer walk up to me and ask if I was using top glass or Tasco, Simmons, and Bushnell (all owned by the same company).
Old December 8, 2016, 09:42 PM   #18
lefteye

There is a third school - those who buy scopes less expensive than the most expensive and more expensive than the cheapest. I suspect the third school is larger than the sum of the other two schools.
Old December 8, 2016, 10:34 PM   #19
Blindstitch

Well that too.
Old December 9, 2016, 09:53 AM   #20
rpseraph

A few people have mention the Nikon Slughunter 3-9x40. I got one on sale for about $120

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SLUGHUN.../dp/B00B5F063A

I used a el-cheapo riflescope for a range trip or two... but the 12 gauge shocked it pretty hard and it bit the dust...
Old February 12, 2017, 02:21 PM   #21
Dunsouth

Not sure if the OP ever made a decision on this so I figured I would throw my 2 cents in just in case. I had a pro diamond for years and it eventually gave out. Then I bought a Weaver 4x40 and have never looked back. Weaver no longer makes this in a Grandslam, but they do make a 4x38 Classic. You can pick these up for under $150 and it is Japanese glass to boot. Fixed power scopes are all but forgotten these days and it is unfortunate. They are very tough cost effective scopes that offer good eye relief, great FOV and lightweight. Really great for under 300 yards where most game is harvested.
Old February 12, 2017, 03:18 PM   #22
NHSHOOTER

I have 2 bushnell wide angle 45mm objective scopes, 1st 1 I bought back in the late 90's for my 50 cal muzzleloader for 99 bucks and it has performed flawlessly since the day it was new, 2nd 1 I got at my lgs used for 50 bucks and that I put on my model 7, 7-08 and it too has never had a issue. You dont have to spend alot of money, you just have to know what your looking for.
Old February 13, 2017, 02:52 AM   #23
bamaranger

time

Well, I don't wanna sidetrack the topic, but I think the lifespan of a budget scope depends much on just how much hunting and shooting that rig will actually do, and the conditions.

HUNTER A has a two week deer season and a one deer limit, and gets to hunt the opener, and a couple of week ends maybe a PM or two after work, say 5-6 hunts a year......check the zero with 2-3 shots factory ammo a season...., then back in the cabinet till next year, that's not a lot of use. The gun rides to a covered blind in a padded case, where it sits in the sheltered corner 'till he might get a shot, that's a pretty soft life. That's not thirty years either, that's about 150 hunts, which is about 5-6 months of "use" at best over the course of 30 yrs.

HUNTER B has a season that last 3 MONTHS, with multi deer harvest and he does some hunting out of state as well. In a given year, he gets 50 hunts in, and he hunts hard, bad weather, on foot, from exposed stands. He also reloads, and shoots for group, and practices a bit with ol'Betsy. He gets afield 1500 times, 4-5 YEARS worth of use, over the course of 30 yrs.

I do not intend to belittle or berate , I simplify and exaggerate for the purpose of comparison, but which hunter uses a scope harder, and is more likely to have a budget scope fail?
Old February 13, 2017, 05:13 AM   #24
Blindstitch

That's funny. My dad is hunter A and I'm hunter B.

He didn't even test his rifle before going hunting. I watched him take a shot on a deer which I thought was instant death and it ended up taking a follow up to finish the job humanely. The gun was a Marlin 336 in 30-30 topped with a 25-30 year old Bushnell.

The following day I asked if he minded me shooting it and he said have at it. At 25 yards 3 shots all in the bullseye grouping nickel size shooting freehand.

He was right when he said why would I need to shoot it. I don't drop it and it stays in the cabinet most of the year.

On the other hand I shoot my rifles every chance I get and the ones that get more use get better scopes. Then the old scopes get stored till there's a gun that needs one. Lots of Bushnells on 22lr's here.
Old February 13, 2017, 07:29 AM   #25
eastbank

i have used leupold scopes since i got a job after getting out of the service close to 50 odd years ago, a m-8 3x leupold over 40 years old was sent back this winter as it looked a little dim compared to a new 2.5x8 leupold. i was sent a new one from the custom shop at no charge. the m-8 3x cost a little over 70 dollars when new, it was used for less than 2.00 a year and now i have a brand new one at no charge for one of my son,s to use for another 40 years. how can you beat that. most scope makers of 40 years ago are no more or have been bought up by newer makers who don,t honor any warrenty. there are better scopes(cost more) than leupold, but read their warrenty closely. in the fine print is where the difference comes to light. eastbank.