The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2002, 11:41 AM   #1
jw29650

Hornday L-N-L progressive press tips

I have just ordered a L-N-L Hornday progressive press and was wondering what are some "lessons learned" tricks and tips to aid in setting the press up. I will be loading 40S&W pistol ammo and .223 rifle ammo. I have a set of Hornday carbide dies with a Lee crimp die for the pistol round and a set of Hornday dies for the .223. I have seen post on this site that talk about the pros and cons between the Dillon and the Hornday and want to learn quickly from the existing users of the Hornday press as that is the press that I have selected.

Thanks for your input.

JW
Old October 18, 2002, 08:40 PM   #2
dsteinman

Couple of things. You may find the Lee FCD too short. You will at a minimum probably need to chamfer the base of the die to clear the case ejector spring.

An intermittent problem I had with the primer slider catching on the primer punch was solved with a few strokes of a file to the primer punch.

You may have a problem with fine ball powders metering. I did with AA #5 and had to quit using it.

If you ordered the micrometer pistol insert it may bind the measure drum somewhat. The end of the insert may need to be filed down to match the contour of the drum.
Old October 19, 2002, 12:51 AM   #3
moredes

I did it the other way; I dremeled/beveled the bottom of the primer feed slider, or whatever it's called. Filing the primer punch may cause headaches when trying to seat primers to maximum depth, as is needed to avoid slamfiring.

I also got a lock washer to hold the retaining nut that screws into the underside of the primer punch. Use the fifth station for an RCBS lockout die; no more 1/2 or squib loads, and no headaches. If you're gonna use .223 milsurp, make sure you use a good primer swager, like the Dillon 600. Priming mechanism on the LNL AP is the weak link in the whole system; a primer pocket that isn''t fully swaged is frustrating as hell.

There's a ton of info here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...5&pagenumber=1

Specifically, follow the thread to Guy Meredith's and Grunewaj's advice on the expander noses for dropping powder in the same step as expanding the case neck. That trick, for a maximum of about $10, will free up a station permanently.
Old October 19, 2002, 11:45 AM   #4
Shoney

I have to agree that i had troubles with the priming system at first. I solved them by:
1.) filing the slide as others have stated,
2.) keeping spilled powder cleaned up immediately; and
3.) by insering a small dowel into the primer tube. It is marked at the point where the last primer is in the slide. This did two things, first I knew exactly when to reload the tube and second it puts a slight pressure on the primers so they feed more smoothly.

The Lee dies are a little short depending on the cartridge you are loading. I simply removed the lock nut on the die, then made the L-N-L bushing the lock system by drilling and tapping the bushing at the thick portion at the base and inserting an Allen head screw as a lock screw.

One last problem I had was with the adjustments of the timing system, which on my L-N-L came out of adjustment as I first started loading. After I slightly peened the adjustment screw threads and more importantly, read the manual on adjustments, the problems ended.

Shoney
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111