The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 25, 2017, 12:59 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Lighten a 22/45 Ruger

I have a standard 22/45 with bull barrel. My daughter recently started Shooting and it's to heavy. Before I invest the money in a pack lite type 22/45 I would like to turn down the diameter of this gun and flute it. I'm just through ingredients out ideas right now. I think I can take it down .100-.150 in diameter and put in a few flutes and probably drop the weight by several ounces without sacrificing safety or practical accuracy. Let's hear your thoughts.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 25, 2017, 01:04 PM   #2
weblance

A couple ounces wont make much difference. For a truly dramatic difference, you need the 22/45 LITE or the TacSol upper. You can certainly turn down the original barrel, but not the receiver. People have been turning down the barrel to eliminate the billboard warning label for years. You could also shorten the barrel if you want to chop some weight. That would be more of a weight reduction than simply reducing the diameter.
Old February 25, 2017, 01:40 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Turning and/or fluting won't reduce the weight by more than a couple ounces and will probably cost as much as the thing is worth. Machine shop time runs well over $100 per hour plus set-up time, these days. Far better to either change the barrel altogether or just buy her something she likes.
Plan 'B' is a set of National Adjustable Target Grips from Herrett. (Cheap, they ain't at $99.95 though. Still less than a machine shop job, that's not going to be done quickly.) They change the centre of balance and put it in the shooter's hand.
Have had 'em on my Smith 41 for eons. They work.
http://www.herrettstocks.com/national.htm
Old February 25, 2017, 02:03 PM   #4
BoogieMan

I should have stated. I have a large machine shop at my disposal and the experience to do the job. I calculated the volume removed from .920 to .800 and we are talking about 4.5 ounces (1/4lb). If I go with a little taper and maybe as small as .750 on the front .8 at the back. I think I will be more like 5.5 ounces. In a gun that weighs 35oz that may not be huge, but I do think its substantial.
Im in NJ so every handgun needs a permit that takes 3-6 months to get. Otherwise I would go grab a lite version. Also the 22/45 is in the $500 range. Not that its a lot, but it is 7500+ rounds of rimfire she could shoot.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 25, 2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

I think that simply turning the diameter down would save more weight than fluting-though it may not look as nice. If you turn it to minimal diameter AND cut the length you'll lighten it more.
Old February 25, 2017, 03:35 PM   #6
MarkCO

I'd just get a Lite and call it good. I have two Lites, a standard and a MkII bull. Once the boys started competing, they did not yet have the skills to shoot the Lite at high speed and much prefer the heavier pistols. They help damp out the poor trigger technique. My 15 year old is just now able to run the Lite faster than the heavier ones. He has won high Junior at a lot of matches and runs Steel Challenge and Rimfire Challenge 5 plate stages from sub 2 seconds to about 3 seconds.

Just saying that when she gets bigger, she might prefer the heavier gun for a period of time. Whatever you do, resist the urge to get a SIG mosquito...they hated that pistol.
Old February 25, 2017, 03:43 PM   #7
AzShooter

I added a Pac Lite barrel to my Mark III 22/45 Target and it really brought the weight down. It also improved the reliability, without having that LCI installed.
Old February 25, 2017, 04:08 PM   #8
BoogieMan

On the ruger the barrel is the gun and carries the serial number therefore requires a permit.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 25, 2017, 04:52 PM   #9
Mike38

Quote:
On the ruger the barrel is the gun and carries the serial number therefore requires a permit.
I'm not sure about that. While the barrel and receiver look like one piece, they are not. The serial number on my Ruger MkII 22/45 is on the receiver.
Old February 25, 2017, 06:29 PM   #10
Snyper

Don't screw up a good gun.

Let her keep shooting it and maybe even lifting some light weights and very soon it won't be "too heavy".
Old February 25, 2017, 06:46 PM   #11
osbornk

I have a 22/45 Target with a bull barrel. I would leave it as it is and let the shooter adjust to the gun rather than adjusting the gun to the shooter. I would be a little concerned that the changes you are thinking about will change the balance of the gun.
Old February 25, 2017, 07:08 PM   #12
BoogieMan

The bigger issue she had was with the 10/22. I ordered a carbon barrel for that. Maybe by lightening that she will not fatigue so bad when it comes to the handgun stages.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 26, 2017, 08:32 AM   #13
Mobuck

I tried a 22/45 LITE and found it much more difficult to hold steady than the heavy barrel. Having a wispy front on a target type pistol is self defeating.
Get her started with some weight training and the problem will be resolved.
Old February 26, 2017, 09:36 AM   #14
BoogieMan

She has come a long way with strength. She is captain of competitive cheer team. Lifts other girls over her head by herself. Still laying some of the hand and arm muscle. But, she is 11. I am going to have her continue with the 22/45 the way it is. More trigger time and revisit the idea down the line.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown