The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2001, 11:16 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

I'm new to shotgunning, but I'm hooked. Many people here have decades of experience on me, and many have their favorites that they swear by.

For some it's the tried and true Remington 870, talking of its steel receiver and half-century of continued production. Detractors are quick to mention Remington's PC buttlicking, including no longer marketing 18.5" riot barrels to non-LEO, with the exception of the Stainless Marine 870, which costs quite a bit more than the standard.

Others swear by the Mossberg 500, 590, and/or 590A1. It's "Mil-Spec" design (A1 only), its passing of the 3000 round US Gov't endurance test, etc. And, truth be told, the Mossberg 500 series has been around for awhile too, and has had no trouble selling. Detractors say its overrated, and say its internals are poorly made.

Then there's the Winchester 1300, and its older cousin, the 1200. It features a neato-torpeedo rotary bolt, which apparently allows very fast cycling. Detractors say its flimsily manufactured. It has, however, been around for awhile too.

In my opinion, none of these shotguns are "junk". All three have been around for years, and are proven designs. All have been used by this law enforcement or that military agency; in fact, the 870, 590, and 1200 have ALL been USGI issue shotguns at one point or another, though now all the new ones are 590A1s, pending the deployment of the Benelli M4 semiauto.

And all three are well-made American shotguns. If you take care of them, they'll last you decades. I've talked to people who own all of these and love them, and I've talked to people who own all of these and hate 'em. I guess it depends on what works for the individual shooter.

Just m $0.02.
Old May 25, 2001, 04:02 AM   #2
Romulus

You forgot the Ithaca 37. I have an Ithaca 87, which was a post-bankruptcy, pre-reorganization model. I've been told it's more crudely finished than the models 37 that came before AND after. The 37 must be immaculate, as this is a quite precisely milled piece. It has a receiver that is a work of art, and if I were forced to choose between the 870 and the 87, it go for the latter in a heartbeat.
Old May 25, 2001, 08:15 AM   #3
jthuang

IIRC the Ithaca 37 also lacks a disconnector, making it very fun for rapid fire.

Justin
Old May 28, 2001, 11:07 AM   #4
ATTICUS

Romulus: I too have the M87 and love it. Mine came with a 28" barrel (2 chokes) and a smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sights. It's been a long time ago but I think it was a little under $300. It is a hunk of finely crafted steel that is built to take abuse. I have heard that the quality of the 87's was hit or miss back then- if so, mine was a hit. Being a lefty , the bottom eject is a perfect for me and doesn't eliminate righties from the resale pool. I have to be content with the 5 round capacity, but I figure if you can't do it with 5 rounds of 12 gauge 00 or slugs (with 5 more on the buttstock) then you are in deep doo doo anyway. Take care.