The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 8, 2019, 09:41 PM   #1
AzShooter

Ruger Mark IV with new trigger

I upgraded my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite to meet all the specifications of the new Volquartsen Mamba. LLV-6 upper and Vortex Red Dot.

So, there it was, just sitting in the safe, the old upper. I found a vender (Wirthwein Guns) with a new lower frame and ordered it. Now I had a second 22/45 Lite but it needed a trigger job.

It wasn't bad, 3 3/4 pounds, but wasn't that good either.

I ordered the VQ accurizing kit and installed it Thursday night. Took me about 20 minutes and ended up with a 1 1/5 pound trigger. SWEET.

Today I took it to the range and fired 300 rounds of CCI Blazer and a box of CCI SV with 5 of my spare magazines and I got 100% reliability.

All I need now is a new Red Dot sight.

Old February 9, 2019, 01:03 PM   #2
k4swb

Does it have an OT screw? I can't see one in the trigger.
An OT screw will make it feel like you've shaved at least another 1/4 pound off of it.

Don't know the physics of this but for me an OT screw is one of the first things I try to incorporate into a trigger job. Always makes the job feel better.
Old February 9, 2019, 01:25 PM   #3
AzShooter

I added a Volquartsen Accurizing kit and their trigger has the pre and over travel screws. Works like a charm.
Old February 11, 2019, 07:43 AM   #4
Mobuck

I have two 22/45 MK3 with VQ parts. One 4" with a complete VQ accuracy upgrade and one 5.5" with assorted VQ parts accumulated from here and there. 1.5# is a bit light for my purposes but I'm pleased with 2.5+/-#.
We shoot these pistols @ 100 yards on 8" swingers making consistent hits and currently working on "two in the air" double taps(get two bullets on the way before the first hits the target). Quite impressive when it works.
Old February 22, 2019, 07:03 PM   #5
SGW Gunsmith

Triggers having pre and over-travel adjustment screws are GREAT for speed shooters as they allow the sear to hammer notch engagement to break more quickly, therefore they re-set faster. Important when your score involves TIME.
The sear, in the Ruger Mark pistols is the heart of the fire control system and how smoothly and quickly it disengages from the hammer notch, and that's called amount of "creep".
Pull weight can only be measured with as good a pull gauge as can be had. As of now, the Lyman electronic gauge is about the most reasonable and accurate, most folks, including myself, use.
Getting sear and hammer notch engagement requires a bit of "trail" from stoning and then installing to check the pull weight and see if it's still safe and doesn't bump off. Tolerances involved with the locations allowed during manufacturing and placement of the holes for the hammer bushing and sear pivot pin holes factor quite a bit as to where some can go with a particular Mark pistol due to the allowable tolerances involved.

That's why 'fire control kits' do not provide the same result in ALL Ruger Mark pistols.