The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2016, 07:49 AM   #1
T_PRO_Z

vepr 12 ??

I want to get an ak style shotgun and I am torn between the vepr 12 ( most likely the one I get) and the saiga.

can I get some pros and cons of these firearms please?
Old July 23, 2016, 04:08 PM   #2
MC 1911

I chose the Veper 12 due to the fact it had a folding stock, mags go straight in and it has the bolt hold open feature. They tend to like high brass and are a blast to shoot.

Saiga is nice also and is available in different configurations. Not much difference to me in the way they shoot.
Old July 24, 2016, 05:46 AM   #3
kozak6

It used to be that the Vepr was the "De Luxe" AK shotgun with all the bells and whistles.

The Saiga needed a pistol grip conversion, 922r parts, rivet hole plugging, and maybe some refinishing after all that. And was a little more fickle. It made up for that by costing half that of the Vepr.

However, Obama has banned the Saiga series from import, so now their prices have gotten very silly. And on the other hand, current Vepr 12 prices are also about as low as they've ever been.

Unless the seller doesn't know this, or you are interested in collector's value, the Vepr is the way to go.

The DDI-12 might also be worth investigating.