The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 8, 2022, 03:50 AM   #1
XxMasterHootxX

Concentric circle arisaka questions

I have a kokura arsenal arisaka type 99 late war model with no other markings on it except for the concentric circle makings and a serial number of 2505 on the right side of receiver was curious as to know what the concentric circles meant as I cannot find any information think you for your time..pictures attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg received_728159275002270.jpeg (172.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpeg received_1193915504694146.jpeg (138.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpeg received_1171040873690527.jpeg (95.0 KB, 101 views)
Old June 8, 2022, 08:46 AM   #2
Nodak1858

From what I've read, doesn't sound like it's 100% know what they mean. Here's a link for some reading, most stories all say roughly the same from what I have found

https://type99arisakas.weebly.com/co...le-rifles.html
Old June 9, 2022, 06:01 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

I'm far from an Arisaka expert but those circles are where the imperial Chrysanthemum ("Mum" for short) should be, or possibly was...

After the war, with Japan occupied, many (if not most) of the surrendered rifles had the Mum removed/scrubbed, or otherwise defaced. Stories vary, some say the Japanese did it, so they would not be surrendering the Emperor's property, some say the Americans did it, to give the Japanese a way to "save face" and promote their compliance and co-operation. I have no clue which is true, either could be, or both could be.

All I know for sure is that the rifles surrendered at the end of the war had the Mum's "ground" and while there probably are exceptions, the majority were scrubbed of the Mum and Arisakas that still have the Mum intact are generally assumed to have been battlefield trophies, not rifles surrendered at the end of the war.

No idea what the circles mean only that they are in the location where the Mum would have been on a service rifle.

The though occurs to me that the circles MIGHT be the start of the Mum marking, which was never completed on that rifle.
Old June 9, 2022, 09:13 PM   #4
ernie8

CC rifles have nothing to do with incomplete mum stamps , not even similar shapes . They were marked for a certain use and show up in small serial number blocks through all the war years . Some think secret police .
Old June 10, 2022, 12:14 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

well, it was just a guess...
Old June 11, 2022, 06:00 PM   #6
Scorch

The concentric circles are the symbol for the Japanese secret/paramilitary police.

The chrysanthemum was the symbol of the emperor and was used by the armed forces.
Old June 12, 2022, 04:09 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Every nation, and sometimes each régime does things their own way. I once had a "systema Colt" pistol with markings from the Argentine Secret Police.

Until now, I was unaware the Japanese had separate marking for their Secret Police guns. Some nations do, some do not.
Old June 13, 2022, 09:46 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Scorch was on it.
Police rifle.

Some of the police rifles will have the circles stamped over a ground mum. This was done by Japan, before and during the war - not by occupation forces after the war.
But most were stamped when new, and they have their own serial number blocks outside of military serial production.