The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 29, 2017, 05:14 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

1927 Argentine Colt sights

I have a 1927 Sistema Colt that was already modified beyond restoration to original when I bought it. The flat backstrap, beaver tail grip safety, and Pachmayr grips could all be changed back to original parts. But the bright, shiny, derp blue, as beautiful as it is can not.
So I want to complement the upgrades with better sights. Nothing extravagant, just some good sights better than the tiny rear, and little sliver front of the original military sights.
Just wondering if it would be better to have a dovetail milled in the slide for the front sight, or just have the smith stake a newer, better one in like the original was installed?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 29, 2017, 06:21 PM   #2
WVsig

Send the slide to Novak. They can do it quick and easy.
Old January 29, 2017, 07:29 PM   #3
Hoppy

Cheapshooter - I'm looking forward to seeing what you do. I have a sistema colt as well. The only thing I've done is make some smooth rosewood grips for it.

I have thought about sight upgrades. I remember reading somewhere
to make a sharper edge out of the front blade. It's a dome front to back and hard to acquire. If a little step is put into it with a file it will be easier to acquire. That could perhaps wear a little paint of some kind. I looked into truglo paint while considering it.

The novak idea sounds interesting
Old January 30, 2017, 04:24 AM   #4
mag1911

Most all Sistemas originally came a dark blue black. Do you know for certain it's been reblued?
Old January 30, 2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Do you know for certain it's been reblued?
Yes, much brighter, shinier, and deep blue. Like a beautiful comercial handgun in line with my older Smith & Wessons. Plus obvious "softening" of lettering due to pre blue polishing.
Yes, it's a shame it isn't original, no import marks or anything, and the internals all look like new.
Even with the military sights it shoots good. Just thought I would just complete the job with some upgraded sights.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 31, 2017, 04:17 AM   #6
mag1911

The Harrison Retro looks somewhat like issue if that's important to you.
Old January 31, 2017, 01:43 PM   #7
RickB

Cutting a front dovetail might entail refinishing the slide again.
I've had a rear dovetail cut without refinishing, and it looks great, but a lot of gunsmiths include refinishing in the price of cutting dovetails.
Retaining a (large) modern front sight with the small, G.I.-spec hole in the slide might result in the occasional lost front sight, but the hole could be enlarged to modern Colt specs, with more material in the sight to better retain it.