The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 28, 2014, 02:20 PM   #1
BerdanSS

found a mossberg 44 US...what do you guys think

Good condition mossberg 44us at the LGS. Bore is great. Outside is all browned with slight pitting here and there, and stock is good. Multi blade front sight and dust cover intact. Has both swivels and a weaver c6 in the n1 type mount. Optic is clear. They'er asking 149.99.

I have a 151m-b I love to death. These are supposed to be fantastic shooters. What do you guys think?
Old January 28, 2014, 02:33 PM   #2
emcon5

With the glass, that seems like a smoking deal.
Old January 28, 2014, 02:46 PM   #3
BerdanSS

Also the rifle has the N Stamp on the barrel back by the chamber, and no serial numbers on anything.
Old January 28, 2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Pahoo

Another good deal !!

BerdanSS
Taking all at face value, this is a very good deal and they are tack drivers. I'm sure you know that these were trainers and by any chance, is your marked US Property? .....

I'll have to correct myself as they were never issued as trainers;

Quote:
Mossberg Model 44US (D)
Mossberg 44US (D) .22 caliber bolt action rifle. First introduced in 1948, and produced until 1949, the 44US (D) was the last, and most technically advanced model, of the 44US series. The 44US series began production in 1943 under contract with the US Government for use a training rifles. Preceding the 44US(D) were the 44US (Produced under Government contract and marked US – Property), 44US(a) marked US – Property, (A few of these were produced under Government contract, and marked US – Property, but were never actually issued as trainers, but sold through the Civilian Marksmanship Program, CMP, to the civilian market), 44US(a) 44US(b), and 44US(c) models. This 44US(D) is complete, and a great example of O.F. Mossberg’s high quality firearms
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 28, 2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old January 28, 2014, 04:12 PM   #5
BerdanSS

No sadly not a US PROPERTY marked rifle. I believe it is a commercial model of the military version. This rifle was a local trade in, and was accompanied by a mossberg bolt action shotgun of about the same age/condition. This happens once or twice a month, seems anything that comes into that shop: unless it's a glock or something "tacticool"....it's branded as old back room junk, tossed on the rack and priced to get rid of it. All the better for me

I've really come to love these old mossbergs. I bought my first one last year, a pristine 151 fullstock. I had plans to pick up a 42 or 46M this year but this gives me an unexpected jump on the collection

I put it in layaway to hold it while I did some research, I'll post some pictures as soon as I have time to go pick it up.

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 28, 2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:13 PM   #6
BerdanSS

Well I went to pick the rifle up. Upon arriving home I did a more detailed inspection. I believe I may have a rifle built from parts. The receiver is blued while the barrel seems to be parkerized. The stock is very nice grained walnut, rather than the birch that (from internet searching) most commercial, and some US Army rifles were stocked with. All examples of USMC rifles I've found had walnut stocks. The rifle has from what I can tell, for lack of better words; bubbafied swivels rather than the original type. It also has the round ended trigger guard rather than the square end type.

The rifle does in fact have a fully intact (less the hood) 4 aperture S-106 front sight with all pins and a working spring lock. One 7 round magazine was supplied with the rifle (from pricing they are worth their weight in gold.) the scope is period, but not correct for the rifle. No modifications have been made to the rifle to bolt on the mount. the S-130 rear sight had been removed and the mount bolted in place using two flat head screws.

To sum the rifle up....I believe I have a serial numberless commercial blued receiver, military barrel and stock. And a while not correct, a very nice looking (and clear) Wever 4x C6 and mount. I will post pictures as soon as light enables me to. I wish I could get a picture of the bore, it's mirror bright and I'd swear unfired new.

I don't feel this rifle has much collector value, if it is indeed a commercial model receiver that was rebarreled and restocked. I plan to restore the rifle. No sanding to the stock (I like the ding and scratch history character) Just a little cleaning and rub in a fresh coat of stock oil to close everything up again. And then collect the correct swivels, sling and scope/mount. Alll in all though for $150.00 I believe this rifle will be a fantastic shooter. I'm actually more excited to get out to the range with it, than I am to take my new Savage FV-SR I've yet to fire
Old January 30, 2014, 11:53 AM   #7
Pahoo

They are shooters !!!

Quote:
All examples of USMC rifles I've found had walnut stocks.
The story/history, from the original owner who retired from the Air-Force was that he was given an option of purchasing a shotgun or rifle. He chose the rifle and it was still packed in cozmoline. This one had a Walnut stock.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 30, 2014, 04:59 PM   #8
scottycoyote

id jump all over it but its addictive lol. I started with a 44us, now i have a 151m and a 146 too
Old January 30, 2014, 05:43 PM   #9
mark clausen

Stolen from Mossbergman over at Rimfire central

I know this only too well

Above is from a while ago. Below I finished yesterday

$150 sounds like a great deal, hopefully the reciever isn't drilled out and they instead drilled the mount to match the origonal Mossberg scope holes. Anxious to see pics.
Old February 3, 2014, 10:48 PM   #10
BerdanSS

Mark, I removed the scope mount today to discover that yes indeed the receiver has been drilled. Thankfully not too awful bad. Just one hole drilled, the two to the rear were the holes intended for the S130 aperture sight. And on an even better note, the rifle still has the factory mossberg mount plug screws in place in the correct scope mount holes.

I did get to pop off 5 rounds this afternoon, when I took the rifle out to show my Dad. All I can say about the experience is.....

5 shot group, standard velocity lead bulk pack LR, kneeling unsupported at 50 yards....covered the grouping with a dime i HAVE SOME geko BA optimized match in the safe and I CAN NOT WAIT to try that off a rest. I think I have a real card spliter here. Before I left, I ran a copper brush down the bore (chamber to muzzle of course) then a patch of nitro solvent, then a clean one. The bore was so shiny it could of blinded me and I exaggerate not....I'd put money on it that barrel has (had ) virgin rifling.

I took some pictures of the target, rifle and scope/mount. Going to post them after I get them off the dang phone to the computer
Old February 3, 2014, 11:25 PM   #11
BerdanSS

also, does $35 shipped sound like a good price to you mossy guys, for a great condition original 44US web sling as issued with the military rifles?
Old February 4, 2014, 02:51 PM   #12
scottycoyote

that sounds about right, seems like they sell new reproduction ones for about that at the old mossberg site. You can get a cheaper sling that will work off of ebay but its not a repro of course
Old February 6, 2014, 04:34 PM   #13
BerdanSS

Finally...pictures

Here you can clearly see the front screw added to hold the mount, the two at the rear of the action are original and used to mount the S-100 or S-130 rear target peepsight. This may get filled and polished if I decide to re-park or blue the barrel and action.

A poor attempt to show the clarity of the scope.

roughly 50 yards kneeling unsupported with bulk LR, the scope was off 6" to the right, and wont adjust. I just aimed at the bullseye and fired 5 rounds.

Last edited by BerdanSS; February 6, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old February 6, 2014, 04:43 PM   #14
BerdanSS

All and all for less than $160 out the door I'm VERY happy with the rifle. I'm willing to bet it's more accurate than the brand new Savage I've yet to shoot, that's sitting next to it in the safe. The scope being broken isn't much of a big deal to me as I planed on getting to correct scope and mount later. As for right now the scope has been removed, and the rifle is wearing an extra Mossberg S-130 I had. Which is the correct rear target peep these were sold with. I cant wait to get it out to a real range and try some match ammo
Old February 6, 2014, 05:36 PM   #15
NickySantoro

You'll be pleased. I have a Model 40 that is crazy accurate with match ammo.
Old February 7, 2014, 11:50 AM   #16
doofus47

nice catch.
They are very nice rifles.
I considered building a biathlon rifle from an M44 but abandoned the idea pretty early when I noticed that extra magazines were priced like they were made of gold.
Old February 7, 2014, 06:21 PM   #17
mark clausen

Nice looking gun and obviously a great shooter even with that scope. You should check out this link.
http://home.epix.net/~damguy/
And this place for parts. They have an after market scope mount to put a modern 1" tube on.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...60983673,d.aWc