The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 30, 2008, 06:33 AM   #76
shurshot

I own an AK, and am selling it. I have over the years owned several AK's, a Beretta AR-70, HK 911, Beneli M1 super 90, Several AR-15's, Tec-9, etc. I ended up selling every one sooner or later.

After much consideration, the only "Assault" rifle I will ever need, I have had since my Dad gave it to me almost 3 decades ago, a Sears Ted Williams model 100 (streamlined Winchester model 94) lever action in .30-30. For the woods (or god forbid and urban enviroment or self defense situation if "it" hits the fan), this rifle is powerful, quick repeat shots, slim in profile, lightweight, and and easy to shoot in the prone position.

And it is a superb Deer rifle that I will pass on to my son.
Old June 30, 2008, 07:16 AM   #77
SR420

Quote:
JKHolman

Daewoo
Hear! Hear!, Wolfmann.

+2
I just wish I could find an unaltered K2 or DR200 with a low round count ...
Old July 1, 2008, 11:55 PM   #78
RockyMtnTactical

An AR15 would be my choice. Mine are great weapons, I would trust them with my life.
Old July 3, 2008, 10:05 PM   #79
TPAW

AK47
Old July 3, 2008, 10:50 PM   #80
MeekAndMild

OK Mods, why hasn't this thread been moved to the NFA forum? I know people on this board who will fall on their swords in protest of somebody innocently using the word "clip" but for some reason it is accepted for people to buy into the fraudulent use of the word "assault rifle" for semi auto guns.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old July 3, 2008, 10:58 PM   #81
44 AMP
Staff

Only one "assault rifle"?

Note that I am talking actual "Assault Rifle" (which is a valid term) here, and not the anti gunners "assault weapon" (which is not a valid term).

Assuming I could have any one assault rifle (and not concerned with the cost/legality), then there is only one I would choose, and it is one not mentioned by any of the other posters!

The original "assault rifle", the Sturmgewehr, the Stg 44! For the historical value, of course!
Old July 3, 2008, 11:36 PM   #82
MeekAndMild

Thank you mods!

Now that the thread is talking about NFA guns as it should: if I had the money to buy an assault rifle and if new ones were legal for civilians in the US I think that an FN SCAR Mk 16 Mod 0 would be really cool.

The SCAR is not likely available unless the 1986 ban is overturned so for present NFA rules the best pick would be a classic M-16 wearing an M4 upper.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old July 4, 2008, 12:27 AM   #83
Ignition Override

A really young soldier was traveling from Ft. Riley, KS and I asked him a simple question about a complex topic.

After asking him whether he had been in the "sandbox",
he said that he had spent 16 months in Iraq, so I considered his advice on actual 'field applications'' to be valuable and tested-certainly not a "shooting range commando". He had experienced self-defense and probably had used his "go bag" often.

Therefore my single question was whether he would prefer a Russian-designed rifle or the M-4, AR-15 type.
We had little time to chat and his only answer was "Well maybe, just one grain of sand will jam the rifles we had".

That's all he said and was maybe hesitant to elaborate.
Being interested in guns which are known to be durable under many conditions attracted me to either former combat carbines or those which are generally based upon military-style actions (i.e. SKS, Mosin...).
Old July 4, 2008, 01:18 AM   #84
KChen986

My RRA AR-15--and a bottle of CLP just to be safe . I have an AK and it might be dead-nuts reliable but I can't really optimally use the sights.
Old July 4, 2008, 01:32 AM   #85
longslide7

And only one Assault rifle, what would it be?

My M-14-E2 with the Smith Ent break and the Bata-Mag double drum. Almost 24 pounds, but [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] I not fast on my feet anyway.
Old July 5, 2008, 04:40 AM   #86
ziggy222

i think an ar10 with 16 inch barrel and scope would cover about any need you could find.or an hk set up the same
Old July 5, 2008, 07:08 AM   #87
Creature

Quote:
We had little time to chat and his only answer was "Well maybe, just one grain of sand will jam the rifles we had".

That's all he said and was maybe hesitant to elaborate.
Interesting. I wonder why he was so hesitant.
Old July 8, 2008, 02:05 PM   #88
daveydoo

if only one...AK47 ammo cheap and easy to get. part no problem and it will fire until you beat it with a hammer
Old July 8, 2008, 05:40 PM   #89
flyby

I'd prolly take a Steyr AUG also, always liked them
..as for an AK nah! ..not a communist Or terrorist
don't care for the sights or radius either ..now a Galil on the other hand
Old July 8, 2008, 06:20 PM   #90
Hawg

My 44-40 lever action.
Old July 8, 2008, 07:15 PM   #91
AutoPistola

I finally decided...

I'll take a Valmet/Sako Rk95 folder, the best that the AK family could offer.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as43-e.htm
Old July 12, 2008, 08:28 PM   #92
.351winchester

Quote:
I own an AK, and am selling it. I have over the years owned several AK's, a Beretta AR-70, HK 911, Beneli M1 super 90, Several AR-15's, Tec-9,
What did you think of the Tec-9? I have wanted one since I was a little kid. For no other reason than the looks. Now if it could plink reliably with FMJ, that might make me track one down (I had wanted a Mac or M-11/9 too, but even the good ones have to be babied to function right from what everyone says even proud owners, I don't care for that). From gathered info, it cycles right with the right type of mag and heavy ball, trigger action is fast, common issues are front sight weld misaligned, and something about the upper separating from the lower at the rear (and have seen some in movies with zip ties inexplicably cinching the back portion).
I dunno, just love the looks of it. Might be the "gangsta" in the gangster gun collection I'm working on.
Old July 16, 2008, 01:05 AM   #93
Firepower!

The more I use M4A1 the more I like it. Yes AK is best known for reliability, and I have have been very partial to it BUT them Americans have finally lived up to their reputation and invented M4A1, which is vastly improved from M4. M4 I had before use to FTF a lot. This has not so far. Fires smoother then any other weapon. I mean this is a beauty. It requires cleaning more than Ak, and thats why I am keeping this for myself and AKs for guards. Since it is hard to keep checking if guards are cleaning them regularly or not.

My next quest is to get Styer AUG A1 and shoot 10000 rounds and determine its performance.
Old July 20, 2008, 12:55 PM   #94
Hugh G Rection

One and only one Assualt rifle?

My M-16.

It runs in .22, 5.56mm (multiple barrel lengths) and 6.8mm SPC.