The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 2, 2006, 10:39 AM   #26
UniversalFrost

For those of you who reload or want to sell the brass get a brass catcher or make one.

As far as being hit with brass it is a given if shooting at a range. Heck I even been hit with my own brass while standingin an open stall and it bounced off the post a few feet to the right and behind me, hit me right in the back of the head and rolled down my collar.

Once was shooting my m4a3 with a 100rd beta c mag and the guy in the next lane starts walking toward me to complain about my brass going into his lane and he catches a couple spent shells right in the face from my m4. grabs his face and starts cursing. I turn around to see what the commotion is and this guy is yelling at me about how he is going to ge me kicked out, yadayada yada.

Anyway long story short, i had no idea he was coming towards me and the rangemaster and the manager of the range both agreed that he was at fault for walking up behind me and in my lane and he got what he deserved.

A few hot casings in the face will teach ya not to walk up from behind while a guy is shooting.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 4, 2006, 02:42 AM   #27
Doubletaptap

(It's a part of shooting)
To me that sounds like a pretty unsportsmanlike attitude. Other people pay their hard earned money to enjoy a good day shooting,not to be peppered by somebody elses brass.
How can you concentrate and enjoy yourself if you're dodging hot casings?
To some it may be a part of shooting but it really pisses me off if I'm trying to shoot and some guy starts popping me with hot brass.
I know guns do that but I would feel better if people tried to prevent it at least a little.
My remedy for the situation is to ask the guy if he wants to trade places, or I re-locate.
Now that I have a brass catcher,folks shooting next to me are much happier.And I don't feel like I ruined someones day out trying to enjoy their guns.
My next step at our range is to see if the owners will provide portable screens for the benches.
Everybody working toward one goal can make it happen.
George
Old August 4, 2006, 02:50 AM   #28
Doubletaptap

(It's a part of shooting)
To me that sounds like a pretty unsportsmanlike attitude. Other people pay their hard earned money to enjoy a good day shooting,not to be peppered by somebody elses brass.
To some it may be a part of shooting but it really pisses me off if I'm trying to shoot and some guy starts popping me with hot brass.
I know guns do that but I would feel better if people tried to prevent it at least a little.
My remedy for the situation is to ask the guy if he wants to trade places, or I re-locate.
Now that I have a brass catcher,folks shooting next to me are much happier.And I don't feel like I ruined someones day out trying to enjoy their guns.
My next step at our range is to see if the owners will provide portable screens for the benches.
Everybody working toward one goal can make it happen.

I had one guy I asked to trade because he was spraying me with almost full auto rapid fire casings,I told him he was covering me up with brass trying to be a little humorous and get the point acrross at the same time. He stated basically that it was tough sh** and I'd just have to deal with it.
I put my rifle down after clearing it, stood up and tapped him on the shoulder. I asked him politely if we could trade places or was I going to have to carry him to his vehicle with his rifle stuck up his a**.
There must have been something in my eye because he shut up, packed his stuff and went inside.
Later the rangemaster told me I handled that beautifully. He was about to ask him to leave anyway because he had told him several times at previous visits there was no rapif fire allowed.
But it ruined my day shooting and I left soon after.
I don't like to rain on other peoples parade.
George
Old August 22, 2006, 05:47 AM   #29
Hal

Flying brass is a part of shooting.
I tend to think if you can't deal with flying brass,,,,,what are you going to do when lead starts flying your way?

LOL! Ask the BG to change places with you???

Sheesh - cover up, wear side guards on you eye protection and a bill on your hat/cap.

I expect things like flying brass, loud noises, muzzle flashes from a gun....ummm,,it's what they do right?

If I get tagged on open skin by brass - it's my fault for not being prepared.
Old August 22, 2006, 08:44 AM   #30
buzz_knox

Quote:
Don't ever take a training course if you can't accept hot brass. You WILL get pelted with brass (I had a lovely series of 5 burns on my face from the case mouth of hot 5.56 brass) and if you let it distract you, not only will you not get anything out of the course, you will probably get thrown out.

I try to adjust my position when I'm at an indoor range so as not to pelt others with my brass or get hit by it. But it really is something that you have to accept if neither they nor you can get into a position to avoid it.
Old August 22, 2006, 12:22 PM   #31
Esquire M Busterbury

While it is almost annoying it DOES 'come with the territory', and therefore should simply be dealt with. Not to say that you can't sometimes find a way to aleviate the problem (catchers clamped to the table or simply swapping tables) but it's almost like going out to a bar on a friday night and complaining about the smoke...You know in advance you're going to come home smelling like smoke. If it was that big a problem, you could have simply gone to chuck-e-cheeses (and leave the pretty ladies for us firemen-wannabes who are willing to bravely go into a smokey bar and rescue them ).

And besides, getting hit with a little brass on the range might make you that much LESS distracted oneday when it might matter (god forbid).
Old August 22, 2006, 12:50 PM   #32
Lycanthrope

Complaining about flying brass at a gun range is like complaining about guns being too loud.....or too big of a caliber.....or too evil looking....

But....any brass that lands on me is mine.
Old August 24, 2006, 02:18 AM   #33
moredes

When I used to frequent public ranges, I chose the right-most pistol stall. I've found that careless right-handers will sweep folks to their left, especially those with autos who're clearing or loading.
Old January 16, 2007, 02:01 AM   #34
Big Don

One solution

The outdoor range in Lincoln, CA has screens that pull down and roll up, just like window shades. They're positioned between each bench and it's up to the shooters to pull them down to stop incoming brass.
I agree with just about everyone else: you go to the range, you need to expect to be hit by flying brass. Count yourself lucky (or well positioned) if you're not hit. Wear safety glasses, button your collar, wear a hat (coolie hats are great for deflecting brass) and long sleeves if you don't want to get burned. Besides, how cool is it to tell someone that burn on your face/neck/arm is from a hot rifle case! Very manly stuff.
Old January 18, 2007, 11:26 PM   #35
Mark B

Everybody has to catch one down the shirt at least once! Just think of it as.. a situational awareness drill.
Old January 25, 2007, 11:54 AM   #36
O6nop

Brass catchers

I'm not familiar with these - I understand the concept, catch brass - but where do you get them, how do they attach to the gun, are they comfortable to shoot with, do they throw off balance at all?
Old January 25, 2007, 12:26 PM   #37
Ultima-Ratio

Yep!

When I used to frequent public ranges, I chose the right-most pistol stall. I've found that careless right-handers will sweep folks to their left, especially those with autos who're clearing or loading.
Exactly my experience which includes several leftwards NDs!!
Old January 25, 2007, 03:16 PM   #38
atblis

True

Quote:
I chose the right-most pistol stall. I've found that careless right-handers...
That's a very good point. I've also found that to be my experience.
Old March 6, 2007, 01:01 AM   #39
Sgt.Fathead

Goes With The Territory

The only indoor ranges we frequent have pretty good partitions so it's not much of an issue. The other day, however, I was sighting in a 10/22 I just bought my wife at Cabela's PA store and had ejection issues from another shooter. We were at a northwestern NJ Wildlife Management Area range and the fella to my left was firing Lord only knows what slugs from a Remington 11-87 12 gauge. Every time he fired, the spent shot shell casing would come three lanes over and whack me or enter my sight picture. We were the only shooters out there, it was pretty damn cold, and I waited for him to take a break and asked if he would be long, and if so, could we switch? He was very accommodating and we had continued our shoot.

I say, if you can't reach an agreement, well, that's the problem of the other shooter. It just goes with the territory. When I was in the service (cripes, here he goes again) we would often TRY to get hot brass down the back of each other's necks. Thank God the M2 .50 is bottom ejecting!
Old March 16, 2007, 11:39 AM   #40
ConcealCarryNY

Quote:
Thank God the M2 .50 is bottom ejecting
I was training a few nugget crewchiefs on a gun run and we had an issue will a hydro leak so I bent down to trouble shoot while they were engaging the right XM218 and I caught a shell down the back of my flightsuit. My god I had some huge burns on my back and legs(had to shake it out). Talk about doing the funky chicken dance.
Old June 14, 2007, 06:21 PM   #41
Dave in AZ

brass ???

I agree - wearing a ball cap make a big difference.

I go to the right though at the range. I would rather send my brass into a wall or into an empty area where its easier to police than to worry about getitn ghit by someone to my left. Brass is expensive, skin can grow back.
Old June 14, 2007, 06:30 PM   #42
opg4740

My CZ-52 tends to launch brass into lower Earth orbit, full on 12'oclock high. I have never seen any other pistol get rid of brass in such a forceful way.
Old June 21, 2007, 01:31 AM   #43
medicstimpy

Yup... part of life at the range. We all live with it.

My buddy's new 9mm Czech gun (K100???) is the weirdest. When I'm on his right, it has a rotating barrel ejector so his spent cases always bounce off the top of my 1911. Always in the same spot.

I now have to watch him when he opens up his case so I know to stand back a little bit more if he pulls out the 9. Then I wait and watch them bounce off the table, again, always in the same spot.
Taurus: 455 Tracker - .45ACP wheel gun... *WAY KEWL*
Old June 21, 2007, 03:29 AM   #44
oldbillthundercheif

If someone is shooting an automatic rifle just the right distance to the left of you, an entire burst of blazing hot casings can land between your collar and your neck. I know this from experience. Ouch.
Old June 29, 2007, 10:21 AM   #45
koffin

Quote:
When I used to frequent public ranges, I chose the right-most pistol stall.
You nailed it..... I will never, ever, EVER stand on the far left.
Old June 30, 2007, 10:36 PM   #46
Langenator

If you want some fun, get a VZ-52 or -52/57 to take to the range.

Mine throws the brass about 7 feet or so-to around the 10 o'clock position. THAT takes folks by surprise. I try to set up at the far left if I'll be shooting that one.
his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our
own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of
their own conscience." -C.S. Lewis

Happiness is a belt fed weapon. -unknown
Old July 2, 2007, 08:48 AM   #47
SDC

A Swedish AG42 rifle is as bad for this as anything I've ever seen; they'll throw their empties (6.5x55 Mauser) a good 30-35 feet out to 2 o'clock, and I've seen one fired under a covered firing point that left half of its empties STUCK neck-first into one of the 4x4 uprights.
Old July 16, 2007, 01:02 PM   #48
tazmss

Quote:
Loose collared shirts that are tucked in aren't my best friend at times. Had a friend send several hot brass right at me from a burst. Couldn't have done it better if he'd planned it--two hit me in the neck and went right down the front. I think I would have danced around less if it was a mad bumble bee instead.

I can agree with that...I did the same, but to add to that, I had on sandals(learning lesson here....), had one down in the front, then, less then 20 minutes later, one landed between the toes.... I looked like I was doing a rain dance.... Out of all of that, I did learn quite a bit about "range manners".....try to be considerate to other shooters, especially in smaller ranges with narrower lanes...
Old July 26, 2007, 10:32 PM   #49
asianthug

It is siply the worst if you are on the right side of an AK shooter. You will be showered with shells. I am usually the first guy at the range so I will be the first guy on the line. The thing I like most at our range is that I get back to my spot quickest as the walk path is on the left. I hate being in the middle because I always can't tell which spot is mine to line up new target. I love shooting floppy drives and CDs instead of paper targets.
Old August 18, 2007, 03:18 PM   #50
rampage841512

The range I go to is indoor and has these nice steel panels between the stalls. They come in handy, but the 'ping!' of spent brass hitting them kind of gets annoying.