The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 5, 2018, 12:08 PM   #1
LilPewPew

Best Basic Ar-15 Accessories

I will be using my first AR for home defense plinking and maybe hunting and I was wondering what you guys favorite (hopefully budget) accessories were. Now by budget, I don't mean bad quality I mean a good quality accessory that doesn't have a jacked up price just because it has a cool name on it.
Old April 5, 2018, 01:32 PM   #2
chris16371

What's your budget? What's budget for one person may be different for another.

I recommend a vertical grip or hand stop for quick, correct hand placement. The magpul vertical grips and larue hand stops are good IMO.

Also a good compensater/muzzle brake on the barrel. I like the VG6 Gamma 5.56, keeps the barrel down for increased accuracy. It barks pretty good though, doesn't hide flash very well, and the gas coming from the sides is no fun for people standing next to you but in a home defense situation quick follow up shots are a must and the Gamma does well to help. I really like it a lot.

For home defense I would do a true 1x red dot but if your hunting you may want magnification. I always have backup irons and an optic with quick detach base in case the optic fails it can be dumped quick for iron use. I like the gen2 magpul irons that flip up, check to make sure they are authentic though. I'm not sure if they have a newer generation or not. Of course if you have a fixed front sight gas block you would either have to switch out the block or just get a rear sight if the rifle doesn't have one already. If you do a true 1x red dot you can cowitness so optic doesn't need taken off for iron use. You can always do a magnified optic on top and a 45 degree red dot but at the cost of added weight. I personally have a separate upper just for hunting use so I don't have more weight than necessary. You could always have both optics on quick detach mounts and switch them on and off for whatever your using it for, just make sure you attach the same way every time to ensure your zero doesn't change much.

Flashlight is a must for home defense. I like the inforce lights personally.

Idk if your a member but ar15.com classifieds is a great place to get quality parts at a good price. Only buy from people with good feedback and check to make sure product is authentic before purchasing. It's not uncommon to find Aimpoints comp m2 for around $150-$200 but like I said check authenticity by serial number and various YouTube videos and threads helping spot fakes. Also don't purchase military models, Aimpoint won't repair.

The accessories like the hand stop, vertical grip, and maybe the flashlight will require a hand guard that's either a mlok, key mod, quad rail, or similar so you can mount them forward of the upper toward the end of the barrel. If you haven't bought the rifle yet I recommend buying one that already has a handguard like I mentioned already on it, that way you don't need to switch any parts out. Free float would be ideal. Building the rifle yourself can not only save money but is fun being able to customize to your liking from scratch rather than taken off parts. You would have to buy a few tools but assembly is pretty straight forward with lots of resources to help.

I would be happy to give more or alter my recommendations based on what you actually want to spend

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited by chris16371; April 5, 2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old April 5, 2018, 01:41 PM   #3
TheGunGeek

This one is now mandatory:

But seriously, you don't need a lot of "stuff". I like the Inforce lights, use a Steiner 1-5 scope with backup sights, and thats it.
Old April 5, 2018, 02:46 PM   #4
LilPewPew

Alright, thanks I'm kinda on a tight budget rn so I think I'm just gonna go with a light so I don't shoot my bath towel instead of the intruder, a red dot, and a grip. Do you recommend a verticle? Because I'm thinking about getting an angled one.
Old April 5, 2018, 05:01 PM   #5
EPARMORY

Magpul AFG's are very nice.
Old April 6, 2018, 12:15 AM   #6
Sharkbite

Vertical or angled. Both serve the same purpose. To ensure the supportside hand is located consistently and at the proper place to control the muzzle end of the gun optimally
Old April 6, 2018, 01:28 AM   #7
ms6852

I have 2 AR15 style rifles , one used for hunting and the other for HD. The one for HD I put a Vortex Spitfire 3X prism. The reticle has a bullet drop compensator accurate to 300 yards and confirmed. I live it on at night at the lowest setting and the battery still works after two years. I am testing it to see how long it lasts so I know to automatically change the battery.
For hunting this thing is great too with 3X magnification and you can see the fine reticle without turning it on.
Old April 6, 2018, 04:22 AM   #8
chris16371

I never used the AFG, some like some don't, see if you can try one out somewhere. If you go with a vertical grip look up how to properly use one, you don't just grab ahold and wrap your hand around it like it seems.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited by chris16371; April 6, 2018 at 08:35 AM.