The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 19, 2018, 11:48 AM   #1
Northof50

Leather Mag Pouch for Glock

I have posted this in the accessory forum as well. Not certain which it belongs. Sorry for the duplication.

Is anyone using a leather mag pouch for their Glock mags? I've got one from Milt Sparks. I realize there is break in time with leather, but my magazines seem to get caught on the release notch cut into the magazine [I think].

Can't explain how. Simply that when I draw the magazine out, it seems to catch on something in the pouch and will not come out. My last outing at the range, I actually ripped the belt loop off my jeans, as I got so frustrated, I yanked the mag with my strong hand [pouch worn weak side].

As with most things that go wrong in life, I accept it is "user error," but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what. When in hand, the mag comes free from the pouch without issue. When worn - stuck?

Thanks for any input.
Old January 19, 2018, 12:00 PM   #2
stephen426

Kydex is probably better. I made my own for my Glock 43 out of Cordura and the notch for the mag release gets caught. I have gotten used to twisting the mag slightly to reduce the chance of snagging. I don't really care for leather, especially for competition.
Old January 19, 2018, 12:21 PM   #3
Northof50

Stephen -

Thanks for the post. I thought I was going nuts. I mean, how simple can a process be? Step 1: pull OK, you should be done.

I was thinking the same [kydex]. I do not compete now and prefer leather for holsters [I'm just old]. But, the leather mag pouch is definitely not working for the polymer Glock mag.

Again, thanks.
Old January 19, 2018, 01:14 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...there is break in time..." Not if you wet form the thing. Your mags steel or Polymer?
"...seem to get caught..." Sounds like a poorly designed pouch. Or one that wasn't designed for Glock mags. They lined? Can't imagine why they would be though.
It a Sparks model IPD or IPS. I'm thinking it might be the rivet.
"...When worn - stuck?..." That suggests the pouch is being bent when on your belt. Have a buddy, who knows what he's about, look at it when you're wearing it.
Cordura is just nylon cloth. It'll catch if worn out a bit.
Old January 19, 2018, 02:17 PM   #5
Northof50

Sparks #17
Designed specifically for Glock mags

Stephen's reply about rotating the magazine upon draw helps tremendously.

With that written, the snap design as well as the overall design [in my use] has been less than satisfactory. Snaps are poor attachments for outside the waistband holster and accessories IMO. YMMV.
Old January 21, 2018, 03:56 AM   #6
stephen426

Glad to be of help guys. Make sure you are consistent about how your mags are inserted to eliminate the "think time" and make the motion second nature. I carry my spare mags in my left side back pocket (since I am right handed). The mags always have the bullets pointed towards the left. This makes the reload more "natural" (don't have to twist your wrist) and faster. Also, I made my mag pouch so the the mag has at least half an inch sticking out for easy access. You don't want to fumble a reload when it counts! Hope that helps!
Old January 21, 2018, 11:30 PM   #7
Northof50

Thanks Stephen - typically, I don't have an issue with mags, but this was
a) my first leather pouch [just decided to add a mag pouch as EDC]
b) first OWB holster with snaps

Milt Sparks is a reputable maker, but the leather and Glock don't mix and the snap is simply the wrong attachment type for OWB...in my opinion.
Old February 26, 2018, 09:58 AM   #8
Viper225

I recommend returning/exchanging the pouch, or selling it. Someone a little more fluffy may not have an issue with it.

I recommend you get a pouch with the Belt Loops behind the magazines. They take up a lot less space on the belt, and they also do not need to bend as much on the belt as do ones with the belt loops outboard of the magazines.

Just My 2 Cents

Bob R