The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 23, 2018, 12:25 AM   #76
Cosmodragoon

The right answer is the highest capacity weapon of reasonable power that you can both use well and reliably have on your person.

Obviously, this gets fouled up by bad laws such as "gun free zones" and magazine restrictions. I don't think either of those things has ever made anyone safer. In fact, there is compelling evidence to suggest that both of those things do exactly the opposite. (For instance, the type of public attack that has been in the spotlight lately almost exclusively happens in "gun free zones".) Still, we have to obey the law. So find the best fit for those criteria based on your specific circumstances, practice with it, and be sure to carry it wherever possible.
Old May 23, 2018, 06:41 AM   #77
agtman

Professionals who have need of a 'fighting pistol' choose something in Sig's 'P'-line, like the 226, 228, et al.
Old May 23, 2018, 06:46 AM   #78
Longhorn1986

FNH-45. 15+1 rounds of .45 acp should be enough to communicate my displeasure with the situation, plus I shoot mine with confidence.
Old May 23, 2018, 01:21 PM   #79
Sharkbite

Quote:
Professionals who have need of a 'fighting pistol' choose something in Sig's 'P'-line, like the 226, 228, et al.

Except those same “professionals” are now turning to something in Glocks lineup, like the G19.

Not saying thats the end all, be all of fighting pistols, but there are fewer and fewer hammer fired guns fielded these days.
Old May 23, 2018, 01:33 PM   #80
nagami

Glock 31C 357 Sig for me
Old May 23, 2018, 08:45 PM   #81
agtman

Quote:
Except those same “professionals” are now turning to something in Glocks lineup, like the G19.
Not saying thats the end all, be all of fighting pistols, but there are fewer and fewer hammer fired guns fielded these days.
You've been watching too many '24' re-runs.

Navy SEALS use Sig 226s.

Word.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:03 PM   #82
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post

Navy SEALS use Sig 226s.

Word.
Oh really

http://www.defensereview.com/u-s-nav...-drs-thoughts/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 25, 2018, 08:53 AM   #83
jr24

Quote:

Navy SEALS use Sig 226s.

Word.
I dunno, they mostly use Sig and HK in 24. Not all that many Glocks in the show...

Plus before the MHS MARSOC, the Rangers and some others had started using Gen 3 Glock 19s.
Old May 25, 2018, 04:56 PM   #84
agtman

Read 'Lone Survivor.'

Glocks are for domestic L.E., and maybe certain Army units whose shooters can't handle the Colt M45A1.
Old May 25, 2018, 06:06 PM   #85
Bilbo463

I’d say a Browning Hi Power.

The most widely used military handgun in the 20th century. Used by the armies of over 50 countries. Ultra reliable, hi capacity (16 rounds using 15 round Mecgar magazines), accurate and beautiful.

I know what y’all are saying......”they don’t make them anymore...”. True, but they can still be found... Slim and easy to carry iwb.

The Hi Power can still get the job done!!

I also love those 1911’s!!
Old May 25, 2018, 06:23 PM   #86
TunnelRat

Quote:
Read 'Lone Survivor.'

Glocks are for domestic L.E., and maybe certain Army units whose shooters can't handle the Colt M45A1.
Man, someone needs to tell those Marines ASAP

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...1911s-service/

Old May 25, 2018, 07:55 PM   #87
Model12Win

Seriously, the Col. Colt's Reciprocating Slide Automatic Holster Pistol of Army's Caliber, Pistol, M1911, .45, is the world's greatest fightsman's warring pistol.

Now that the MARINE CORPS is using the 1911 again in the form of the flawless, fantastic, brown and buxom M45A1 CQBP, that cements the legacy. Nothing comes close.

Perfection? Yeah, sorry Glock. Perfection was achieved in 1911. Don't think Audie Murphy or Alvin York uses Blocks, just saying!!
Old May 26, 2018, 06:32 AM   #88
Sturmpanzer

My Wilson Combat Beretta 92FS with night sights is perfect for me..
Old May 26, 2018, 08:39 AM   #89
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Seriously, the Col. Colt's Reciprocating Slide Automatic Holster Pistol of Army's Caliber, Pistol, M1911, .45, is the world's greatest fightsman's warring pistol.

Now that the MARINE CORPS is using the 1911 again in the form of the flawless, fantastic, brown and buxom M45A1 CQBP, that cements the legacy. Nothing comes close.

Perfection? Yeah, sorry Glock. Perfection was achieved in 1911. Don't think Audie Murphy or Alvin York uses Blocks, just saying!!
Ya might wanna read the article right above your post. They dropped the Colt for Glocks, which I assume will soon be dropped for the SIG 320.

I love the 1911 as much as the next guy (actually more than most i know) but it's day seems to be done for the DoD.

For now...
Old May 26, 2018, 01:06 PM   #90
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
Ya might wanna read the article right above your post. They dropped the Colt for Glocks, which I assume will soon be dropped for the SIG 320.

I love the 1911 as much as the next guy (actually more than most i know) but it's day seems to be done for the DoD.

For now...
He's being sarcastic. He does this a fair amount where he goes on a minor rant that's sarcastic but not overly easy to tell unless you've seen his previous posts.

Old May 26, 2018, 04:58 PM   #91
agtman

Quote:
Man, someone needs to tell those Marines ASAP.
Dude, be you for serious? The Colt M45A1 takes work.

The G19 is the sort of undistinguished pistol intended for the 'make-it-easy-for-stupid-folks' to be trained on. It's stupid simple.

That's why it's been issued to Iraqi L.E. ... and, apparently now, our Marines.

Look, if you're going to issue our troops a side arm that's not a 1911, nor chambered in .45acp, go with the Sig 226.

Last edited by agtman; May 26, 2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 26, 2018, 05:21 PM   #92
Sturmpanzer

This is turning into a flame thread... As I said.. My Wilson Combat Beretta 92 is my be all end all gun... Its steel, so I can konk your head with it..cant do that with the plastic stuff... Same goes for any reliable 1911 platform... Plastic guns are just that....nuff said...
Old May 26, 2018, 05:28 PM   #93
Sturmpanzer

Dont forget the fine CZ75 pistols either... They are head-konkable as well... Do that with a plastic gun and the chasis lets loose from the frame... You asked about "Fighting"... Well, be prepared to get close and nasty... Thats the real world... Its why I carry a steel pistol...which is actually a .357 Magnum Ruger Wiley Clapp.....but my Beretta is my always go to gun if things go sideways... No plastic for me...but eveyone has their own preferences....
Old May 26, 2018, 08:24 PM   #94
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmpanzer View Post
Dont forget the fine CZ75 pistols either... They are head-konkable as well... Do that with a plastic gun and the chasis lets loose from the frame... You asked about "Fighting"... Well, be prepared to get close and nasty... Thats the real world... Its why I carry a steel pistol...which is actually a .357 Magnum Ruger Wiley Clapp.....but my Beretta is my always go to gun if things go sideways... No plastic for me...but eveyone has their own preferences....
I'm trying to remember my "chassis letting go from the frame", but for some reason I can't (the rails on which the slide rides are typically molded into or pinned into the frame). Nor can I in any number of reports I've read and there are no shortage of professional fighting units using polymer pistols. There is plenty of steel left in the barrel and slide to be used as an impact weapon. A jab with the front of the pistol to the face or torso works pretty darn well, or you can swing with the slide as the impact point, but the jab is faster and requires less room. You don't need to only use the frame as an impact weapon. By the way, most Berettas are an aluminum frame, not steel.

We've entered the realm of trolling with this thread.

Old May 27, 2018, 02:35 AM   #95
Sturmpanzer

Yes, thats true, but all striker guns go out of battery if you push the muzzle into something like....oh, say, a bad guys gut.... Thats a drawback, and I had a Glock 17 that lost an anchor pin(a Gen 2..way old gun).... Maybe the new strikers are different, and more durable...just got away from them after that...not trolling, just adding my little opinion....

Last edited by Sturmpanzer; May 27, 2018 at 03:43 AM.
Old May 27, 2018, 03:45 AM   #96
Sturmpanzer

The Army just ordered the Sig, so it has to be Pvt Schmedley proof..if you get what I mean...
Old May 27, 2018, 05:06 AM   #97
Hal

Best Fighting Pistol

Well - it is a pistol and not a rifle - - but, I agree it's not really proper for this forum,,,but,,,,,having said all that...& keeping in mind "fighting" takes on a lot of meanings....

Nothing says it better than it's name:

Smith and Wesson Model 19 Combat Magnum.

(God I dearly love that name & the gun itself!- Thank you Bill Jordan!)
Old May 27, 2018, 07:10 AM   #98
TunnelRat

Quote:
Yes, thats true, but all striker guns go out of battery if you push the muzzle into something like....oh, say, a bad guys gut.... Thats a drawback, and I had a Glock 17 that lost an anchor pin(a Gen 2..way old gun).... Maybe the new strikers are different, and more durable...just got away from them after that...not trolling, just adding my little opinion....
Whether the pistol goes out of battery or not is not a function of the frame material. All you need to go out of battery is rearward pressure on the slide. Some designs are less susceptible to this, but it's not because of the frame material. I have aluminum and steel frame pistols in my safe that will do that as well (I.e. both my 1911 and P226). And frankly it's a good thing that they prevent you from having an out of battery detonation. Shooting from positions of retention can mitigate the out of battery issue, regardless of material.

Old May 27, 2018, 08:48 AM   #99
Sturmpanzer

Thats very true, Tunnelrat, but I was talking about a real world scenario, not slamming any gun type for its composition.... This thread will have many opinions, but I liken it to " Is a survival knife as good for fighting as a true fighting knife"... Both will do if thats all you have to work with... Same wth pistols.... As long as the threat goes "Ouch" ..all is good...
Old May 27, 2018, 09:05 AM   #100
TunnelRat

Quote:
Thats very true, Tunnelrat, but I was talking about a real world scenario, not slamming any gun type for its composition.... This thread will have many opinions, but I liken it to " Is a survival knife as good for fighting as a true fighting knife"... Both will do if thats all you have to work with... Same wth pistols.... As long as the threat goes "Ouch" ..all is good...
I'm also talking about real world scenarios. What I said is true, both in terms of using a pistol as an impact weapon and certainly so in terms of pistols going out of battery. I get the comments in terms of weight as hey heavier is heavier. But disconnectors don't care about frame material. They work regardless. Some designs are just less susceptible, but that's not because of the frame material.