The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Shockwave in 12ga or 20ga?
Shockwave in 12ga 18 66.67%
Shockwave in 20ga 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 23, 2018, 04:47 PM   #1
Jacket67

Shockwave 12 vs 20

Hey TFL,

I really would love to get my hands on one of these because it would really fit my lifestyle for a defense gun. I travel a lot, spend time in the woods camping, and have a number of backpacks I use for various tasks. I really like the idea of this gun believe it would be very fun and practical for me. However, I am not sure of which specific chambering would be better for me. On one hand, the 12ga has far more round options and obviously more power. But for this particular gun, it might be a...you know what...to shoot. That's where the 20ga seems more attractive in that the lighter round might be more enjoyable to shoot. But is the 20ga capable enough for an HD round as well as a woods gun? Meaning if worst came to worst and I was confronted with a large predator like a bear or panther attacking me, would it be sufficient?

Anyway, I feel like I've listed what I expect to use this gun for, if unclear, please let me know and I will be glad to comment more!

Thanks in advance!
Old February 23, 2018, 07:40 PM   #2
AK103K

I have one in 12 ga.. With the heavier loads, it can be a beast. With 2 3/4" buck and slugs, its shootable, but it can get old pretty quick if youre shooting it a lot. I wouldnt even think about putting a 3" shell in it.

Mine is plenty accurate at 15 yards with #1 Buck. Slugs do OK too, but I see this being a buck gun more than a slug gun.

Now on the plus side, there are the mini shells made by Aguila. Turns the gun into a whole other critter. Much nicer to shoot, and you get a boost in onboard ammo. The $15 OPSol adapter for the 590 works great and is quickly installed/removed, so you can switch back and forth quickly at will.

The buck load is actually a duplex load, four pieces of #1, and seven pieces of #4 and I believe they are loaded to around 1200fps.

Best of both worlds.......
Old February 23, 2018, 09:01 PM   #3
Blindstitch

I would probably go in the direction of the 20 gauge but that's just me. In reality if you take the same load in 20 and 12 gauge with the same weight gun they will recoil the same. So choose what feels good in your hands.
Old February 23, 2018, 10:28 PM   #4
TruthTellers

12. 12 gauge has a lot of low recoil ammo options out there, most are 2-3/4, some are 2-1/4 and add 1 more to the tube, and then the Minishells, which will require the adapter, but double the Shockwave's capacity.

To my knowledge, the 20 gauge doesn't have any defense ammunition that is widely available and is shorter than 2-3/4" and I also don't know of any 20 gauge shells that hold #1 or larger buckshot, which are the only buckshot that will penetrate the FBI minimum of 12 inches of ballistic gel.

Not saying #2, 3 or 4 Buck would be bad for home defense, but if you subscribe to the 00 is the holy grail school of thought, then 20 gauge is not for you.

IMO, 20 gauge will work, but I like the versatility of 12. If you want the power, 12 has it, if you want lower recoil, 12 has that too. Before the Opsol adapter existed, I would have said 20 gauge makes sense for home defense if you want a lighter gun with less recoil, but times have changed and I think if you're looking at choosing between the two, 12 is the best choice and 20 should be relegated to game bird hunting.
Old February 24, 2018, 05:49 AM   #5
kozak6

Yeah. 12 gauge has more options, low recoil options, and more horsepower if you want it.

I want to like the idea of mini shells, but they seem a little expensive to me.
Old February 24, 2018, 11:09 PM   #6
Siggy-06

I go with the 12ga for the option of using the mini shells. My 20ga shotgun at home is loaded with federal 3 buck, more than adequate.
Old February 25, 2018, 10:35 AM   #7
lockedcj7

Personally, I would go with the 20. I know all the arguments for the 12 but I can find (or I already have) buckshot and slugs in 20 ga. I would get the Remington version though. I have seen the safety on the Mossberg cut a guy's hand when it slid back in his grip.
Old February 27, 2018, 10:23 PM   #8
nightwolf1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozak6 View Post
Yeah. 12 gauge has more options, low recoil options, and more horsepower if you want it.

I want to like the idea of mini shells, but they seem a little expensive to me.
I agree about the 12. Just shoot the reduced recoil 2.75", and you'll be fine. The mini-shells are dirty little rounds, sometimes all the powder didn't burn in the barrel. Besides they are more expensive than the regular shells, and sometimes harder to get.
Old February 28, 2018, 04:19 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf1974 View Post
I agree about the 12. Just shoot the reduced recoil 2.75", and you'll be fine. The mini-shells are dirty little rounds, sometimes all the powder didn't burn in the barrel. Besides they are more expensive than the regular shells, and sometimes harder to get.
Again, the point of the mini shells is to double capacity. Don't you think doubling capacity for a few bucks more a box is worth it?
Old March 2, 2018, 11:25 PM   #10
Venom1956

Minis need a little adapter to run well. It's on Amazon. Else they kinda flip around in the action and cause problems.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 4, 2018, 11:16 AM   #11
nightwolf1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Again, the point of the mini shells is to double capacity. Don't you think doubling capacity for a few bucks more a box is worth it?
Not when you sacrifice clean burning and power for the sake of a few more rounds.
Old March 4, 2018, 04:57 PM   #12
AK103K

Ive shot a bunch of the Aguila mini shells and havent found them to be any more dirty than anything else.

The big plus I see to them is, they do offer more capacity (they dont double it, unfortunately), and the recoil is considerably less than even the lighter 2.75" shells, making the gun much easier to control, especially when shot quickly.
Old March 4, 2018, 06:39 PM   #13
Sharkbite

Quote:
Not when you sacrifice clean burning and power for the sake of a few more rounds.
Less recoil is a GOOD thing in that gun. I have a 12ga shockwave. Even with reduced recoil buckshot, its unpleasant to shoot. With standard buckshot, its an absolute BEAST.

A few more rounds on board, along with reducing the recoil to a more manageable level is all upside.

The mini shells still have plenty of power for SD against a human at any reasonable distance for that gun. Its not meant as a replacement for a full stocked shotty. Its a up close and personal SD weapon. From muzzle contact to as far as you can hit with it, the mini shells wil do JUST FINE.