The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 19, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Hardtarget

restrictions...?...

I'm trying to find out if I can bring home a bayonet for my K-31 if I get to go to Switzerland. Can it be carried in "checked" luggage? Can it,( would it be better), to send it via UPS? Is it better to not try at all?

just curious.

Thanks in advance for any info on this!

Mark.
Old January 19, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2
B. Lahey

I flew back with some knives in my checked luggage the last time I was in europe, didn't have any problems. It used to be ok, anyway, and I bet it still is. Check the regulations yourself to make sure.
Old January 20, 2009, 05:58 PM   #3
raimius

Knives can be checked, according to the TSA. I don't know about Swiss regs. or any place you are going through to get back to the US.
Old January 20, 2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Hardtarget

Thanks for the responses. I'll dig a bit more. Worth the time to make things go smooth!

Mark.
Old January 20, 2009, 11:40 PM   #5
IZinterrogator

Make sure you can own a fixed blade knife of that length at your destination. I took my own bayonet to OIF and the MPs pulling Customs duty wouldn't let me take it home because they said it was illegal in TX due to blade length, where I bought it in the first place.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old January 21, 2009, 12:04 AM   #6
armsmaster270

Make sure you can own a fixed blade knife of that length at your destination. I took my own bayonet to OIF and the MPs pulling Customs duty wouldn't let me take it home because they said it was illegal in TX due to blade length, where I bought it in the first place.
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...aster270/Guns/
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor & Armorer, Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.