The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2019, 11:08 AM   #1
SGW Gunsmith

LEE Bullet Sizer

Am thinking about a "dedicated" set-up to size and lube .45 Colt 255 grain, hard cast, semi-wadcutter bullets, from a Lyman mould.
Is the LEE bullet sizer/lubricator something that will do the job OK?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old March 29, 2019, 11:24 AM   #2
hdbiker

I have one for .357 mag & .44 mag cast bullets. I lightly Tumble lube before sizing and again after sizing.Works well for me. hdbiker
Old March 29, 2019, 02:50 PM   #3
Geezerbiker

I have them for several assorted calibers and I've had good results with all of them. You do have to lube the bullets first and maybe again after if you are using Alox.

A friend powder coated some my cast bullets for me and they all go though the Lee sizer very well. Also they all came out of the sizer with the powder coating intact... So my plan is to ditch all gas checks and tumble lubing in favor of powder coating.

Tony
Old March 30, 2019, 12:17 PM   #4
mikld

When I started casting 25+ years ago I got Lee bullet sizing dies. I still use them as, for me, a lubersizer is not included in my tool inventory (I don't care for the cost of initial equipment and buying nose punched and dies for every bullet I cast. I use a few different lubes for different calibers so I don't want to try replacing lube every 200 bullets or so. Just my feelings and I can see the advantages of a lubersizer, the just don't fit my lifstyle ). I pan lube, dip lube and PC, and use Lee dies for 5 different calibers/diameters, and they are easily "customized" so I have 8 different dies...

I may have "customized" a 45 caliber die for my 45 Colt to .453", IIRC...
Old April 1, 2019, 04:28 PM   #5
gwpercle

The Lee sizer only sizes bullets.... it doesn't lubricate them and it doesn't seat gas checks.

Let me tell you the best thing I ever bought was a Lyman 450 lube sizer in 1970 .
One cycle of the handle and out pops a sized , lubed and gas checked bullet ready to be loaded and shot.
No other method is faster , cleaner or quicker to turn cast bullets into ready to shoot projectiles. Trust me... I've tried all the others.
Start saving up money and buy one...they are sweet !
Gary
Old April 1, 2019, 05:23 PM   #6
oley55

Quote:
The Lee sizer only sizes bullets....and it doesn't seat gas checks.
Considering this cut n paste directly from LEE "Bullets are pushed through the sizing die nose first, so no special nose punches are needed. Gas checks are automatically seated and crimped in place."

Why won't they seat a gas check?
Old April 1, 2019, 11:48 PM   #7
Chainsaw.

Lee push throughs will most certainly seat gas checks. If not the thousands of gassed checked bullets Ive GCed, sized and ahot were all wrong.
Old April 2, 2019, 11:36 AM   #8
mikld

Hmmm. My Lee 44 caliber sizing die has seated many, many gas checks on a 429244 bullet. All stayed on, 98% were on straight...
Old April 3, 2019, 06:46 AM   #9
rodfac

Unless you like the mess of pan lubing, you'd be better off with the RCBS or Lyman lubrisizers in my opinion. I like the Lee sizer for quick sizing but for lubing, other than the swirl lubed Lee bullets, I use my Lyman 450 that's 45 years old. Having both types, I do think that the Lyman or RCBS does a better job of seating and crimping gas checks. I use Hornady GC's almost exclusively, BTW.

YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. We owe them and our children, the best that we can do.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73
Old April 3, 2019, 05:26 PM   #10
gwpercle

Gas check seating works better when done base first not nose first .
Old April 4, 2019, 11:07 AM   #11
mikld

Many operations concerning guns/shooting/reloading/casting can be "messy". But they are only as messy as the user. My pan lubing is no more messy than what I've witnessed using a Lyman lubersizer...