The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2019, 01:02 PM   #76
cw308

Uncle
When I use the stripped bolt method I use a sized case so there is plenty of neck tension to hold the bullet in position , once the bullet hits the zero or just hitting the lands the bolt lift is a matter of feel as the locking lugs comes from the recesses in the barrel . When using the PM I never had the bullet pull back out , maybe if your using bushing dies with a very light neck tension or soft seating , but with a let's say standard neck tension of .003 even sizing with a jam , will take some to move the bullet position . When searching for that ogive or shoulder datum it should be slow and easy . Always worked well for me .
Old April 12, 2019, 02:28 PM   #77
F. Guffey

Quote:
When I use the stripped bolt method I use a sized case so there is plenty of neck tension to hold the bullet in position , once the bullet hits the zero or just hitting the lands the bolt lift is a matter of feel as the locking lugs comes from the recesses in the barrel . When using the PM I never had the bullet pull back out , maybe if your using bushing dies with a very light neck tension or soft seating , but with a let's say standard neck tension of .003 even sizing with a jam , will take some to move the bullet position . When searching for that ogive or shoulder datum it should be slow and easy . Always worked well for me .
I could say I am exempt from these problems because I use bullet hold; how much? I use all of the bullet hold I can get. All I can get can be 45 pounds, and then there is tension or tensions. I would use tensions but I find that is impossible because all of my tension gages are marked off in pounds.

F. Guffey
Old April 12, 2019, 03:15 PM   #78
cw308

Guff you know what I'm trying to describe ,I'm not as educated as you but to make things as simple in my way to come up with bullet hold , I measure neck thickness .012 x 2 , bullet 308 OD as an example , so if my loaded bullet at the case neck is .335 OD I look at it as .003 neck grip or tension . Not having equipment to truly measure tension , this is the best way I can go . I don't like being a ball breaker but I work with what I have . And my reloads work well for me , I try not to over think things . Most reloaders aren't engineers it's a fun hobby . I like to keep it that way . Be Well Oil Rigger .

Chris
Old April 13, 2019, 12:27 PM   #79
F. Guffey

Quote:
Guff you know what I'm trying to describe ,
Do you know there is 'another way' that does not involve any method and or technique discussed in this thread. It does not involve FedEx. UPS or the Postal Service. It does not involver all of the tools so vainly listed; most of the responses start with "I USE...." or "I got....",

I use the other method and I got nothing but a press and dies with a cleaning rod, and if I want to know what I finish with I use a height gage.

F. Guffey
Old April 13, 2019, 01:33 PM   #80
cw308

I guess if to works any way you get there is good .