The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2019, 04:09 PM   #1
black_hog_down

300 blk cycling problem

So my 300 blk loads don’t want to cycle properly. Factory loads run fine but my hand loads cycle the action but for some reason I have to fiddle with the safety before it will fire. Sort of rock the switch a little towards safe and back again before it will fire.
This is my second batch.
The first batch I made were sticking in the chamber because I hade bulged out the neck a little during bullet seating with a crimp.
I had to unload all those and threw out the brass cause they still stuck after resizing.
I’m guessing his problem is related. Maybe my case neck is still a tiny bit sticking (because I am messing up the shoulder during crimp) and it is slowing down the extraction a tiny bit and it is not cycling properly.
I am shooting 150 grain FMJ over 16 grains of 110.
Anybody seen this before?
Do you crimp your 300 blk?
Do you resize every time?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 4, 2019, 12:21 AM   #2
markr6754

I’ve just started loading .300 AAC Blackout this year. My 150 gr and my 220gr loads using A1680 cycled my 8.5” pistol with pistol gas...using the same loads in my 10.5” pistol with carbine gas did not cycle the action. I’m using an Odin Works adjustable gas block, so I opened it up a lot more, but haven’t had a chance to retest.

I now crimp my rounds using the Lee Factory Crimp die for .300 AAC Blackout. I found that my subs wouldn’t pass my Hornady case gauge unless I crimped them. I prefer to crimp as a separate step, rather than letting my seating die do it.
Old April 4, 2019, 06:33 AM   #3
Mobuck

I don't think this problem has anything to do with your reloaded ammo as long as the bolt is cycling fully. When you shoot the reloads, does the bolt lock open on an empty mag EVERY TIME? If so, your loads are cycling the bolt properly.
From your description, I'm guessing you have a problem with your disconnector. If so, figure it out immediately or else risk much more exciting malfunctions.
Old April 4, 2019, 06:52 AM   #4
dallasb

I had the exact same problem as you are having. Have you checked your sized brass before loading? In my case I had a faulty die that wasn't forming the shoulder correctly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old April 4, 2019, 10:56 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

That sounds like a fire control issue, not an ammunition issue.
It may have been caused by unburned powder making its way into the fire control group, but I don't see it being an ammunition issue (other than avoiding loads that aren't burning cleanly).

Take that thing apart and take a good look at the fire control group. Something is wrong.
Old April 4, 2019, 02:35 PM   #6
black_hog_down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
That sounds like a fire control issue, not an ammunition issue.
It may have been caused by unburned powder making its way into the fire control group, but I don't see it being an ammunition issue (other than avoiding loads that aren't burning cleanly).

Take that thing apart and take a good look at the fire control group. Something is wrong.

I would feel the same way except it doesn’t do it with store bought ammo.

Old April 4, 2019, 05:10 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

There's something mechanically wrong with the system, if you have to wiggle parts of the fire control group to make it fire - whether using reloads, or factory ammo.

Things like headspace, neck diameter, and bullet seating depth don't operate a firearm's safety.
Old April 5, 2019, 11:59 AM   #8
black_hog_down

I found this problem on another forum and found my problem.
I was setting up the resizing die to touch the ram but the handle was not “camming over”.
I tried a case that was sticking. By this I mean it would go into battery but would be very hard to eject when I pulled on the charging handle.
I adjusted the die so the handle would can over and now that same case will drop in and eject like butter.
Basically I was not pushing the shoulder down enough.
No clue how that relates to the safety. Can’t picture it in my mind.

Old April 7, 2019, 07:55 AM   #9
Road_Clam

I had all types of feeding and extraction issues when I was using LEE dies. After a lot of frustrating scratching my head as to what the problem was I bought a Hornady case gauge and realized the LEE dies were not fully sizing the base of the case. I ended up buying the RCBS "AR" small base dies and that was the end of my issues. Now I have excellent feeding and extraction. I also run only Magpul 300 B/O specific mags for reliable feeding. I mainly handload heavy 220 gr subsonic ammo for my 300 B/O

http://rcbs.com/Products/Dies-by-Cat...AR-Series.aspx
Old April 7, 2019, 11:14 AM   #10
Sharkbite

Its common knowledge in the 300blk community that Lee dies do a horrible job of forming 223 brass into 300blk brass.

For all things 300blk check out the forum 300blktalk. A WEALTH of knowledge
Old April 7, 2019, 11:38 AM   #11
Mobuck

AGAIN, I will comment that chambering, case sizing, or other ammunition related issues have nothing to do with your " I have to fiddle with the safety before it will fire."
For the safety of yourself and others, address this problem NOW.
Old April 7, 2019, 11:44 AM   #12
Metal god

Quote:
I was setting up the resizing die to touch the ram but the handle was not “camming over”.
Quote:
I adjusted the die so the handle would can over and now that same case will drop in and eject like butter.
Basically I was not pushing the shoulder down enough.
Can you explain in a little more detail please ? Did you adjust the die down or up to get camover ?

Regardless I'm with FrankenMauser & Mobuck on the over all issue . If you need to wiggle the safety to get the trigger to work . The issue is the trigger group or safety . As Frank pointed out and I think he's on to something , The wiggle of the safety is likely dislodging something that is binding up the system , be that unburned powder or something else .

Even if you think you're 100% correct that it was a sizing the case problem . I strongly recommend you pull the FCG out and clean it up as well as the internals of the lower it self .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .