The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2019, 02:23 PM   #26
pwc

I thought it was understood that reloading all semi autos (M1, AR< etc) firing bottle necked rounds should be FL sized for safety, especially those with floating firing pins.

Bolt guns or single shots can safely be neck sized until chambering becomes a problem; then FL size.
Old March 26, 2019, 06:54 PM   #27
reynolds357

Quote:
I thought it was understood that reloading all semi autos (M1, AR< etc) firing bottle necked rounds should be FL sized for safety, especially those with floating firing pins.

Bolt guns or single shots can safely be neck sized until chambering becomes a problem; then FL size.
Nothing is "understood" in the firearms community.
Old March 26, 2019, 06:56 PM   #28
reynolds357

Quote:
Back to neck sizing: I have neck sizing dies, I do not use them but I have them just in case.
In case what?
Old March 27, 2019, 08:17 AM   #29
cw308

Hi rebs
I was a neck sizer , changed to full size for bolt action . My cases expand more then lengthen , when thinking about neck sizing my cases were fitting the OD of my chamber the case had more wiggle room front to back , measuring from bolt face to ogive accurately would be impossible . If you get into full sizing for benchrest accuracy the Redding Competition shellholders I found will size the case length to your chamber length . You can do the same without going with the shellholders but I like the die being able to bottom to the shellholder without oversizing the case . Hope things are going well .

Chris
Old March 27, 2019, 08:40 AM   #30
rebs

Hi Chris
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the shell holders. Bought a new Tikka T3x varmint in 223 cal and working out a load for it.
Things are going well, how about you ?
Bob
Old March 27, 2019, 12:41 PM   #31
F. Guffey

Before the Redding Competition shell holders I use feeler gage to adjust the die off the shell holder. To make that work the reloader had to understand the difference between a cam over press and a non cam over press.

Just guessing; I guess that is the reason I was the only one adjusting the die off the shell holder with a feeler gage

F. Guffey
Old March 27, 2019, 05:58 PM   #32
cw308

rebs
Great choice Tikka T3x Varmint in 223 , good luck with it . Warm weather is coming will be getting ready to do some benchrest shooting . I've been shooting indoors with handguns just for fun Colt 70 Series MK lV Government 45acp . My Son is on his third deployment , it's always on my mind until he gets back , some things never change . Now the fun will start for you finding that perfect round . I only shoot 308 , my one and only for many years . Rem 700 with a M24 5R rifling RockCreek barrel , just love shooting it , never got the itch to buy another shooter . Keep in touch Bob and again good luck with your new tack driver .

Chris
Old March 27, 2019, 11:39 PM   #33
reynolds357

Quote:
Just guessing; I guess that is the reason I was the only one adjusting the die off the shell holder with a feeler gage

F. Guffey
How do you know I didn't? It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Does not take a brain surgeon to determine if a press cams over.
Old March 30, 2019, 12:37 PM   #34
cw308

rebs
You will see a big difference when sizing for your Tikka with brass fired in your Tikka . My drass sizes so easy with very little resistance . I wet tumble so my brass is spotless , I finger lube my cases with RCBS Case lube , tried Imperial was went back to RCBS cleans off easier . Tried dry neck lube , read so articles on cold weld , l didn't see any difference using dry lube and without , maybe because I don't stock up on reloads , I reload and shoot within a week . Stopped using the dry lube . With the Standard RCBS FL die my cases size down to .003 neck tension or grip , sorry this my open the door for a F.G comment , anyway it works well for me . I read your shooting one round follower , good . I placed a Horizontal Tenmperature Indicating Lable on my barrel , it has 7 setpoints 86 to 140 Degrees Fahrenheit . They stay on the barrel , I ordered a pack of 10 . When my shooting friend saw it they all wanted one . McMASTER-CARR has them part# 59535K13 I ordered them in 2015 if your interested give them a call 609-689-3000 let's you know how hot your barrels getting 113 is my cool down range . Just felt it could help in keeping your new tack driver in good shape . Be Well.

Chis
Old March 30, 2019, 05:17 PM   #35
rebs

Chris
Thank you for the tips I appreciate it. I'll look for the strips too.
Thanks again
Bob
Old April 2, 2019, 05:17 PM   #36
m&p45acp10+1

Bob there is no need to change the shell holder on the collet die. No lube needed either. Give it a quarter turn after the first sizing, and size it again. No muss no fuss. No need to clean the brass if you do not want to. I noticed no change in accuracy from spotless clean brass to brass with 10 firings and not cleaned. The very die you are using I have used to make .223 rounds that were under quarter MOA for 5 shot groups.
Old April 3, 2019, 07:12 AM   #37
hounddawg

post # 3 by J Valentine in this thread gives the proper procedure for using a Lee Collet neck sizing die

http://www.benchrest.com/showthread....Die-Adjustment