The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 1, 2007, 12:09 PM   #76
The Tourist

"It seems like you are one of those types of people that feel it is your responsiblity to protect us from ourselves."

I cannot speak for everyone here, but I want as much freedom as I can get.

But this is my position. I don't know if you're familiar with a comedian by the name of Christopher Titus, but he does a bit on how mothers differ from fathers when raising children on "real life experiences." He depicts a father watching his toddler son approaching an electrical outlet with a metal object. Standing as if holding a beer, he mimicks his father by saying to an imaginary friend, "Okay, watch this..."

It's a funny bit, and my Dad used that kind of logic in teaching me about stoves and exhaust pipes.

I'm not sure that this "hands on" knowledge applies to liquor and fire arms.

How many times have you heard a friend approach his car and say, "No, I'm okay, I just had a few beers..."

The problem with most consumption is that it does not always hit you like a light switch. It progresses. You might stop for work and catch a beer to relax. After a few beers, you're mood shifts and you're happy again. Then you joke around, but might not slur your speech or fall down.

The problem here is that you're already too drunk to drive or shoot--but you don't it.

And so you place me in a situation where I might have to watch a younger person mishandle liquor and firearms, and then say to my friends, "Okay, watch this..."

Sober people have 'accidental discharges.' As you know from my posts, a police chief baked his Glock.

I also prefaced my last comment as not wanting to take away his Second Amendment rights, and I'll stand on it. However, we are careful in our own homes around children, and I'm just advising the same caution around alcohol.
Old August 1, 2007, 12:43 PM   #77
VUPDblue

Jaxx, that line you quoted is not rediculous at all. It is fact. When several guys live in a common house or apartment, it is nearly impossible to control the traffic pattern of visitors, especially when there is a celebration going on. Drunk people can, and do, tend to wander and if they stumble upon an unsecured weapon, then bad things happen. Our large house in college played host to uncountable celebrations, and many-a-time were there people who's alcohol consumption surpassed recommended levels. My point is that at no time did I feel uneasy about the storage of my, or my roommate's firearm. Our rooms were locked, and the only keys to them were on our keyrings. On top of that, our guns were in small safe's bolted to the floor. My empty laundry basket lived on top of my safe to keep it out of view. I don't think Tourist is advocating the need to protect us from ourselves, rather he is just underscoring the idea that alcohol and guns don't mix, especially in a college setting.
Old August 1, 2007, 02:19 PM   #78
9mmHP

To jrock18

If you are a resident of a state that freely issues permits, it might be easier to get a PA license than if you had to jump through all of the Phila. PD hoops. When I moved to Indiana to go to IU in Bloomington, Indiana for grad school, Philadelphia was still excluded from the shall issue provision but PA licenses were good in Philadelphia. I got an Indiana license with no problem. I then went to the Chester Co., PA Sheriff and paid the fee and got the PA license in the mail two weeks later. Recently, when it was time to renew, I mailed an app to Centre Co., PA Sheriff along with the fee and got my PA license two weeks later again. All I needed was my Indiana resident license. If you're, for example, a VA resident, a VA license is good in PA. If you're from NJ or MD or NY, forget what I just wrote and go ahead and establish PA residency.
Old August 1, 2007, 04:27 PM   #79
JAXX

VUPDblue, the point that I was trying to make was that if he has friends over who happen to drink while they are at his home, he should not be held accountable for their actions on or off of his property. No one held a gun to their head and made them drink and possibly act like a fool. So, as long as he has his weapons locked up in a secure fashion, and he alone knows the wherabouts of the key/combination, it won't matter who is in his home and/or their intoxication levels.
Old August 1, 2007, 05:17 PM   #80
jrock18

9mmHP:

Sadly I live in NJ so it would be easier for me to get the gun and license in PA.

I know I said I wouldn't comment anymore on this topic but, I appreciate the info regarding alcohol, I was unaware of that fact and it does help me understand a bit better where the OP is coming from. Come to think of it I have cousins in Iowa and the one time I mentioned drinking to them they thought I was some kind of bad ass.

---

To be honest I am scared ****less of what would happen if someone found a gun in my dorm room, so that won't be happening. Once I get an apartment I'm all for owning a gun, but until then I'm going to play it safe with a kershaw auto folder and a nice baton. Can anyone who owns a baton tell me if I should get one of the automatic ones or are they easy to open?

and I'm still waiting for a reply on the .45 vs. 9mm for a starter caliber question.

Thanks for all the info and help that's been given. Even you tourist for playing the devil's advocate.
Old August 1, 2007, 06:04 PM   #81
VUPDblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe07735
I'm done discussing this topic as I've thoroughly stated my point and where I'm coming from, you can continue posting about it if it pleases you, but I'm out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock18
I know I said I wouldn't comment anymore on this topic
So are you also joe07735
Old August 1, 2007, 07:12 PM   #82
jrock18

No, but thats my post. Maybe there was a log in error?

Edit: I just changed my Password to be safe, but I think the server logged me in as someone else due to an error.
Old August 1, 2007, 07:28 PM   #83
j-framer

Hopefully that is the last we'll hear about the alcohol issue. Let's just drop it, everybody. It turned into exactly the kind of useless soap-boxing I had anticipated, and I am as guilty as any of helping to point the thread in a non-productive direction.

Quote:
I want to get a pistol soon as well so that I'm proficient with it by the time I'm old enough for ccw.

1.) Is .45 not a good starter caliber, should I start with 9mm?

2.) Does anyone object to a Glock 21/19 as a starter pistol?
Regarding the 9mm vs. .45 question:

The 9x19 caliber is one of the very least expensive to shoot, if this is a consideration for you. As I'm sure you know, in most handguns of equal size and weight the .45 will recoil a bit more than the 9mm, but not so much that it should be the primary factor in making the decision between the two, particularly when chambered in mid- to full-size guns.

Ideally, you should find a way to fire a couple models in both calibers before making the final choice (have you? I'm not sure I read every one of your posts after the original one). But with a superb gun like the Glock, I think you could buy one outright with almost no chance of being disappointed. They are fantastic firearms, and soft shooters compared against many other manufacturers' models in the same calibers.

Were the choice mine, I would pick the G19 over the G21. It is one of the best all-purpose (though not for hunting, of course ) semi-autos made. It should be a great learning gun; if my G23 (.40 caliber version of the G19) is a sweetheart to shoot, the somewhat less powerfully chambered G19 should be that much more pleasant.
Old August 1, 2007, 08:18 PM   #84
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think the server logged me in as someone else due to an error.
Not so. You are indeed using multiple identities, and your alter ego has been around TFL long enough to know better.

You have mail.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread