The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 9, 2013, 05:13 AM   #1
psycho nut

Found some Tapco AR mags, how are they?

I was in a Bass Pro Shop a week ago looking for a .357 and decided to peruse their other gun stuff. I wasn't expecting to find anything, and I was right for the most part. No ammo, no guns, and no mags for anything that holds 10(+) rounds. I walked in on one gem though, about 12 Tapco Gen 2 AR mags.

I grabbed two of them and was standing there debating on wether or not I should buy a few. I had heard that tapco wasn't the greatest and that their mags seemed to have problems. While I was standing there holding one in each hand thinking and talking to my sister a guy walked over grabbed one, looked at it a bit, and than bent down and took all of them that I wasn't holding. After seeing that I decided screw it, it's just the two I have now anyway and bought them.

Are Tapco mags decent? They seem to be well made to me. They have anti-tilt follwers, the springs seem strong, and they seat well and drop free with no issues. The only AR magazine I have experience with is a 20 round one that came with my rifle though.
Old March 9, 2013, 06:39 AM   #2
spacecoast

I own and use their AK mags and am very happy with them. AKs vary a bit in their dimensions, so the polymer mags needed a bit of filing/sanding to fit correctly, but once you do that they are good to go. I suspect the AR mags need no such fitting.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:06 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

I bought a dozen mags for an AK and some fit while others didn't. That tells me they aren't made very well.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:08 PM   #4
doofus47

i have some tapco polymer mags. I had to dremel out the underside of the front end of the feed lips to get it to function with my vietnam-era upper.
I'm probably not the average AR owner.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:55 AM   #5
t45

I was wondering the same thing. I picked up 3 mags a few weeks ago. I though I would keep them for stand by just in case I have some issue with my metal G.I. mags.