The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Toddco

.338 edge

Anyone heard of this round. I was looking to build a looooooooong range rifle. Most of what i find is that the .338 lapua is the rifle to use. The 338 edge uses the same bullet, same powder, etc. the difference is the edge uses a 300 rum case and the lapua uses the 416 case. Discussion?
Old March 7, 2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Anything beyond benchrest, I figure equal caliber and equal case volume gives equal performance. There might be actions you could get an Edge into that would not accomodate a Lap.

You ARE a proficient handloader with a large gunsmithing budget (or your own shop) aren't you?
Old March 8, 2011, 05:31 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

Toddco,

If you will head over to Long Range Hunting, and do a search, or simply look for a sticky as there is probably one there, you will find all the info your looking for.

If that isn't quick enough head over to Defensive Edge, this is the home page, and contact shawn, he came up with it and developed it into a very formidable round. He can answer anything you might ever have questions about.
Old March 8, 2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Toddco

.338 edge

Thanks for the input gents. Yes i am very well versed in reloading and i have a couple of gunsmiths in mind to build a rifle of this quality in mind. I have 2 problems, the biggest is that i am having problems getting the needed components in to Canada, the other is that i am left handed so most smiths only want to build righty guns. Any input there?
Old March 8, 2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Berry's MfG

I have a Winchester classic long range hunter in 300 RUM that I fully intend to rebarrel in the 338 Edge round. I have a local custom gunmaker that has built quite a few of them and they shoot very well. Out here in the west we do have long range opportunities at elk.
Old March 8, 2011, 11:33 AM   #6
HUNT24/7

These guys can build you an edge, or might be able to get you the parts you want.
http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/index.html