The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 8, 2008, 09:28 PM   #1
DENALI

Warning about Cheaper than dirt

Just a heads up to anyone looking to do business with these bozos. I recently ordered a large amount of ammo from their catalog. I was quoted a very excellent price on PMC starfire 124gr 9mm for just over $9.00 per box of fifty and went ahead and made the phone order where I was reassured three times by the salesperson that the price and quantity were correct.
Friday night I just happened to look in on their web site and found the exact same product code, and exact same price but listed on boxes of twenty instead of fifty. Curious I contacted Cheaper than dirt to investigate and was met with almost complete indifference, further they were firm in denying any responsibility for the substantial (60%)difference of product for the price. I canceled the order but was refused a confirmation number so I could verify this with my credit card, meaning I would have to take them at their word after they had already lied to me about the initial order!
This is one of the great strengths we all share in membership to a forum like TFL. We can effectively reach out and warn the rest of the country about grossly dishonest operators like Cheaper than Dirt! Consider this your warning if you're thinking of doing any credit card transactions with these scum-bags.
Old March 8, 2008, 09:53 PM   #2
hanno

Sorry to hear that your experience wasn't good.

I've ordered from CTD many times and have always been very satisfied with the price and service. I once ordered an item and it arrived damaged. I called and explained it to the CSR and was sent a replacement item based on my word alone. No proof needed, no need to send the damaged item back.

I will do business with them again.
Old March 8, 2008, 10:04 PM   #3
allenomics

This reads like a "Retail Deals and Feedback" post.

That said, feedback like this is important for us to know about.
Old March 8, 2008, 10:08 PM   #4
B.N.Real

This is what I really like the internet for.

Consumer feedback.

This vendor won't get my money.

Thanks for the tip.
Old March 8, 2008, 10:16 PM   #5
oldbillthundercheif

The only problem I have had with CTD was when they made me join their stupid club just to buy some fancy ammunition. There was nothing in the catalog or on the website about needing to join a club to buy that ammo, but they had me over a barrel. They were the only ones with that ammunition and the price was pretty good.

They charge insane shipping fees if they have to ship from different warehouses also, but lots of other companies are doing that now.

And their website often lists the same product multiple times with different prices and descriptions. That's pretty weird, but they probably just don't want to spend the cash hiring a computer genius to get everything in order.

They are not the best by a long shot, but sometimes they have deals I can't pass up.
Old March 8, 2008, 11:13 PM   #6
Boris Bush

I have had the same good experience as hanno. I was sent a replacement after just one call, no questions asked. The guy said no problem and wished me a nice day.

I will continue to buy from them.....
Old March 8, 2008, 11:45 PM   #7
dgludwig

I've ordered from them many times over the years and have always experienced good service. Mistakes are made though...
Old March 9, 2008, 09:15 AM   #8
MADISON

Cheaper Than Dirt or...

Is it "Cheaper Than Dirt" or Dirtier Than Dirt?
Your order sounds like a form of bate and switch.
Back in November we ordered some ammo. from them. Just before Christmas somebody used our credit card to try and buy a $500 Dell computer.
If the 20 per box ammo. is shipped and your credit card is "raped", go to the credit card company and scream FRAUD!
Old March 9, 2008, 01:48 PM   #9
DENALI

Madison you are spot on! Others here have missed the scam. They have, "after researching" their prices all over the place on the same product codes for a reason! If you're the owner of multiple catalogs as I am, run yourself a little experiment between catalog, mailer, and web site! They knew just what they were doing when I made my initial order as I verified it three times with the CSR and was assured it was for fifty per box. This order was completed under the assumption I'd never follow up! They have multiple prices in multiple catalogs for a reason. I've purchased product from them before, it only takes one like this to wake me up!
Old March 9, 2008, 06:31 PM   #10
pony

I've bought from them on many occasions, and never had a problem.
Old March 9, 2008, 08:52 PM   #11
shepherddogs

I get their catalogs all the time. The same products over and over and the same old tired story. The guy got a steal of a deal and wants to save me money. Most of the stuff they sell is cheap Chinese made garbage and anything you might have saved gets eaten up by shipping and handling. I've never seen anything they had as far as ammo I couldn't buy locally for less. I don't even look at the catalogs any more. I get em from the mailbox and walk about 10 ft to the garbage can.:barf:
Old March 10, 2008, 01:05 AM   #12
SDBuckaroo

Quote:
I don't even look at the catalogs any more. I get em from the mailbox and walk about 10 ft to the garbage can.
My trash is right on the way from the mailbox to the house.

Buckaroo
Old March 11, 2008, 09:18 PM   #13
mustang66maniac

that sucks, i just ordered some ammo from them
Old March 11, 2008, 10:34 PM   #14
Magnum Mike

To high priced for me!
Old March 12, 2008, 10:43 AM   #15
fastlane

This happened to me several years ago when I purchase 25 boxes of 12g shells that were adv. as 25 shells per box. When I received the ammo the boxes were only 10 shells per box. Called CTD and also posted my problem with CTD on THR. CTD called me within a week and shipped me the correct amount of ammo. Hope they do the same with you.
Old March 15, 2008, 01:44 PM   #16
workinwifdakids

I've never had a single problem with them, ever.

Mistakes do happen, but I'd hesitate before painting CTD with such a broad brush. It's not like you don't know how much S&H is before you submit the order. If it's too much, umm, DON'T ORDER! Duh...
Old March 17, 2008, 08:52 PM   #17
scorpiusdeus

Quote:
It's not like you don't know how much S&H is before you submit the order. If it's too much, umm, DON'T ORDER! Duh...
Every one should do the research before they order. It's pretty obvious that a website would be more up to date than a catalog. Who knows how old the catalog or whatever really was.
Old March 17, 2008, 09:30 PM   #18
ssilicon

Quote:
Every one should do the research before they order. It's pretty obvious that a website would be more up to date than a catalog. Who knows how old the catalog or whatever really was.
It's pretty obvious that double checking with the CSR at the time of the order is more up to date than either the catlog or the web site, or should be. I think he did his "research", but was improperly handled just the same.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:32 AM   #19
45Marlin carbine

I've ordered 2X from CTD, good service and good quality but shpg is high.
Old March 23, 2008, 12:21 AM   #20
adk

Flood of Spam ...

Ever have any vendors that when you buy from them, you are soon flooded with all kinds of spam from other companies?

------------------
Old March 23, 2008, 07:26 AM   #21
TJK1951

Cheaper Than Dirt : NO Problems Here

I just opend my latest shipment from CTD not 10 mins ago. Everything as advertised, no surprises or problems.

FAST shipment as always.

Sorry you had a problem, but with me they have always been TOP NOTCH.
Old March 23, 2008, 08:39 AM   #22
Calvin_Yung04

Better Business Bureau

Try to search for the company on Better Business Bureau before you buy next time.
Old March 23, 2008, 08:53 AM   #23
PT111

I have only ordered from them once but everything was exactly as they said and exactly what they said it would cost. Some things were a little higher that other places but CTD had it in stock where the others didn't. I got some Federal +P+ ammo very cheap even when I figured in the shipping.

All I ask for in honesty and they seem to be that. They could save some money by keeping their catalogs though.
Old March 23, 2008, 09:33 AM   #24
Steeler

I have purchased numerous times over the years from CTD and always received good service from them. Before I placed any order I check the S&H charges. I always verify my orders with the cost from other sites before I make the final purchase (Natchezss, Caleba's, Midwayusa to name a few). The few times that I had problems they took care of it. When I called they were always pleasant and friendly. All the sites above I do business with and they are all good companies as far as I am concerned. Never have had any problems that were not settled fairly...they are all customer oriented. One thing I do if I do have any problems is to make as much noise as I can...Remember the noisy wheel gets the grease. They have sales at different times and that is normally when I buy.
Old March 29, 2008, 12:06 AM   #25
nvhunter2

I have had good luck with them. But if they are not offering to fix the problem or refund your money. Use the power of the credit card and contest the charges. I hope they make it right and you don't need to go through the BS.