The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 20, 2013, 10:58 PM   #1
cslinger

A New .22 Lead Chucker.

So I have dabbled with higher end air guns for quite a while. No PCP stuff but CO2 / Single stroke pneumatics / spring guns etc. I have always wanted to try a Beeman P1 or HW45 but never could find one to try / handle and they are a fairly high end gun commanding a pretty penny.

I recently sold some old coins I had and had a little bit of play money so I figured what the hell and ordered an HW45 in .22 to give it a try. Why didn't I do this years ago? What a fantastic airgun. Accurate as all get out, great sights, feels great, 2 power settings, awesome trigger etc. As unwieldy as it looks in pictures with the strange proportions etc. in actual use it truly does feel damn near like shooting a 1911. Similar sight picture, weight etc. Being a spring gun in .22 it will exaggerate anything you do wrong with hold/trigger/follow through etc. so it is a great trainer. But all that training crap aside it is some of the most fun I have had shooting in a good long time. I even brought it to the powder burning range to shoot it side by side with my 1911 and a .22 semi auto and I had as much if not more fun with the HW45.

So if anybody wants an extremely well made, very accurate air pistol that feels like a powder burner thing give the P1/HW45 a look. No its not cheap but look at the bright side. Pellets are easy to find and you can shoot it in your back yard/garage in most places. Did I mention this thing is FUN!!! I have several air arms and this is by far my favorite.

Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

Old July 20, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2
LewSchiller

Funny you should mention it...
Today I brought out my Daisy 747 and set up a target in the garage. I'd forgotten what fun it can be to shoot an air pistol! I bought the 747 to use for practice years ago when I was shooting Bullseye. I bet it's been 7 years since I've used it.
Needless to say the 747 isn't in the same time zone as your HW45 but it still packs a punch.

My wife is working up her distance accuracy from CCW 15 feet to 15 yards. I wanted to see how she'd do with more of a "target" pistol than the carry guns she has. She did very well at the 35 feet I could provide and really enjoyed it.
Old July 21, 2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Jim243

Nice pistol, it is funny thou I was looking for something to use for practice for my 45 ACP compact carry gun and came across this, 16 shot semi-auto BB gun.

Will pick one up when I get paid.

Jim
Old July 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

That little Umarex Defender is a nice toy. I picked on up awhile ago, after reading this:

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=34
Old July 21, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5
seeker073180

Anybody have any good airgun sites, forums, etc.? I can't get to the range that often and would love to setup in the basement and get the lady some more practice, too.

This is an important road to firearms safety and confidence that we can't forget! I grew up in my teens with a Crosman 760 in my hands.
Old July 23, 2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Rabbitt

Seeker. Try links at Pyramyd Air Guns.

Also I used to look at one on Network54. Not sure of the url now as I can't get to it from work.
Para; Browning; Colt; Henry; Rossi; Kimber; Magnum Research; Rock Island; Ruger; S&W; Sig; Taurus; Chiappa; Remington; Remington Shotgun; Hi Point Carbine; Bushmaster; ISSC; Beretta; Marlin. .22; .380; 9mm; .38; .357; .45; 12 gauge; .223/5.56.
Variety is the spice of life.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:29 AM   #7
g.willikers

I recently got a KWC Colt 1911 licensed airsoft gun from Pyramydair.com.
One of the blowback, CO2 designs.
Very realistic for home practice.
All the controls are identical to the firearm.
About like shooting a .22 for under $100.
Just a fraction of the price of a 1911 .22 conversion with the same effect.