The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 26, 2007, 03:14 PM   #1
JJNAJ

Dakota Gun Safe?

I am looking to buy a modular gun safe. A friend told me to check out the Dakota safe. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? If so, your comments would be appreciated.
Old November 26, 2007, 05:51 PM   #2
a1abdj

If you want a real safe that's modular, you should look at City Safe products. If you're just wanting a gun safe, I would also take a look at the safes made by Zanotti.

I've never heard of the Dakota safes, which isn't positive or negative.
Old January 17, 2008, 10:23 PM   #3
hawkeye21

I would just like to say that I have just recently purchased a DAKOTA GUN SAFE. I have been looking for the perfect safe and didn't like what i had seen for the most part. There are so many different kinds and all of them have one thing in common. They are put together with welded steel. I have seen people bust welds at gun shows fairly effortlessly and that has always concerning to me. I finally found what i was looking for. This safe came in four boxes that were very easy to manage in and around the house. Me and my son were able to carry them easily. The door box was a little heavy but nothing a dolly couldn't handle, luckily my son was home though. I liked the fact that I could install it into my closet myself and that none of my neighbors had any idea what I was doing. I had intended to put it in a closet upstairs but my wife really didn't want it taking up room in her closet. We could have easily moved the boxes up the stairs to the second floor even though we have a 90 degree turn to go up there. Anyway, it ended up we decided to put it down in the basement. Mind you we live in a house that is over 100 years old. The basement it accessed through a large trap door in the floor. We were able to bring the four boxes downstairs and assemble it. The instructions said that it would take 30 minutes to put together but it actually took me closer to an hour considering i am kind of slow on a wrench but the bolt together panels fit nicely. The best part is that I didn't have to pay to have any movers come in my house. It is pretty heavy 527lbs when fully assembled and I doubt anyone would be able to get it out of where I put it without taking it back apart or ripping out some walls. One of the really cool things about this safe is of course the price. Cheaper than any safe like it. I think there is another safe but it is way too expensive and it is built a lot differently than this. It doesn't use welded steel like i had mentioned before about other safes i had seen. The steel is bent in such a way that it interlocks each piece together and the bolts are made of that hardened steel. Can't break any welds or bolts on this sucker and get my goodies. I also noticed that they have expansion kits and upgradeable fire packages. This thing is like my AR15 rifle. I can add on whatever i want to fit my purposes. Sorry to go on about this safe but i was really excited to find such a unique safe and want to share it with everyone. I have seen on other forums where people were asking about it and nobody knew anything about it. Now you know. I am very happy with this product and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a midrange safe. You can't go wrong with the DAKOTA SAFE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mydakota.jpg (81.9 KB, 1001 views)
Old January 18, 2008, 02:57 AM   #4
clem

Hawkeye,
What did your safe cost, if you don't mind telling?
Old January 18, 2008, 02:24 PM   #5
a1abdj

One member that has never posted anything in the past posts about a product, and another member that has never posted anything (and joins the forum on the same day) goes into great detail about what a wonderful product is is.

Not saying it's not a good product, but it smells more like a sales pitch to me.
Old January 18, 2008, 04:34 PM   #6
hawkeye21

Regardless of what it may look like. I bought mine for $699 at their store in Tulsa Oklahoma. When they first came out they were about $100 cheaper. You may be able to find them somewhere else for less but i doubt it considering i bought mine from the manufacturer. As far as detail, that is how my unimaginably large brain works. In great detail. Being a comic book writer shouldn't have anything to do with that should it? I just really like the gun safe and it was unique enough to go out and talk about. Haven't had much else that got me so worked up. Kind of like when you get that new gun and find out that they make a 100 round barrel clip for it. Anyway, I have posted on several forums about my purchase being the best thing to talk about since i have started my gun collection. Which by the way i will be starting some topics on. Anyone interested in talking about a 20 gauge assault rifle
Old January 18, 2008, 07:46 PM   #7
a1abdj

It's OK...you can fess up. We don't have anything against people who are in the gun safe business

I see you posted the same response, word for word, same user name, under the exact same scenario (joined today, made first post) to a 3 and a half year old gun safe thread at doityourself.com.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...gl=us&ie=UTF-8
Old January 18, 2008, 07:47 PM   #8
vostracker

safe

Hawkere21: Whats the address in Tulsa where you got the safe? I've been looking at safes for awhile at this one has piqued my interest.
Old January 21, 2008, 12:30 PM   #9
hawkeye21

sorry, i didn't want to go through my experience again. I have talked on a couple topics about this safe. I am really excited about it and want to share. Don't get to talk about gun related stuff often. I am enthusiastic about stuff like this and it deserves my praise. I could do the same thing for my wife. As far as where i bought my Dakota Safe it is a place called Security Centers in Tulsa Oklahoma 918-627-7979
My experience was great with these guys. They weren't trying to shove any sales pitches down my throat. I told them what i wanted and they had it in spades.
Old January 21, 2008, 12:49 PM   #10
a1abdj

He claims he is is no way affiliated with Dakota Safe, but I don't know if I believe it. He is going from forum to forum posting the same information word for word. It appears that he posts on the same day he joins, with this information being his very first post. If you do a google search for "dakota gun safe", the only hits are his posts to various forums.

As somebody in the safe business, I have many problems with gun safe companies and the way they represent their products to consumers. I believe that many of these companies purposely mislead their customers when it comes to the protection their safes offer.

Trust and honesty is paramount in the security business. If this Hawkeye is associated with Dakota Safe, I find it reprehensible that somebody in that line of work would outright lie about that relationship.

You can see some of his other identical posts at the following links:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269785

Old January 21, 2008, 05:14 PM   #11
hawkeye21

If you read in my previous postings i openly admit that i have posted on other forums. I started up several conversations about my safe in the hopes of talking in depth about my new purchase with others who have bought one of these jewels. If you read the other forums there are lots of us out there and we all have the same to say. We love it and i am not the only one giving out there information and singing their praise. You will see that i used the exact same beginning paragraph on each and that i talk in depth afterwards as well. This is what a forum is for. To talk to other like minded individuals and i just wanted to talk about my new purchase. I started on the very next day that i bought my Dakota Safe. I may have been over enthusiastic with my initial discussions on these forums seeing that there are those who can be somewhat paranoid, but had nothing that exciting going on to talk about right away and started with the Dakota Safe. Sorry if people don't agree with how i converse in the forums. As far as being an "affiliate", you can think what you will. This is the purest form of free speech and as an "enthusiast" i want to express my excitement in my new purchase.