The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old September 8, 2017, 10:11 AM   #51
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by O4L View Post
I would buy that rifle for $450.

If they were priced that low I could live with the other issues.
Exactly. These Mini 14 people keep bringing up low prices and used guns.

Well in my experience, neither are to be had on the Mini 14.
Old September 8, 2017, 11:17 AM   #52
rickyrick

If we are talking price, I think ARs are ridiculously over priced.
There's lots of suppliers, builders and component manufacturers. The country is absolutely flooded with them. A no frills AR is worth about $125 to me... but I gotta pay the price if I want one and I have.
Old September 8, 2017, 12:35 PM   #53
ThomasT

I have a 580 series mini with the newer heavier barrel. t weighs 3/4s of a pound more than the skinny barrel mini I had that I regret selling. My new mini will shoot ammo from Academy (Monarch) that is the cheap steel cased stuff into a 2-2.5" groups with open sights and my 60 year old eyes. And do it group after group. Thats about as well as I can shoot any open sighted rifle. And those are groups shot from field positions like using a tree for a rest or sitting on my butt and using knees and a sling for support.

I have an AR. I have took it out and shot it once. Its an OK rifle. I don't care for how it feels in my hands with the fat forend and pistol grip stock. I like the adjustable butt.

I could sell the AR and never miss it. The Mini ain't going nowhere. Its here to stay. And I have 9 Pro-Mag magazines and the all work just as well as the factory 20 mag I have. And the steel Pro-Mag magazines are head and shoulders better than the thin aluminum AR mags I have.

My Mini cost me $600 and is stainless and wood. The AR cost a little over $600 but I spent another $100 for a carry handle since it came without a rear sight.

If you are one of those who doesn't like the Mini then don't buy one. And if you are basing your opinion of the accuracy of the Mini on experience from 20+ years ago then try a new one. You might be surprised.
Old September 8, 2017, 01:14 PM   #54
Gats Italian

1) The Mini's greatest strength is that it is NOT an AR, but fires 5.56, 7.62x39 or .300 BO. Black rifle fans can't seem to grasp that cheap and ugly or overpriced and ugly doesn't float everyones' boat.

2) The Mini is "overpriced" because Ruger sells every last one they make. It's actually priced correctly for its market according to supply and demand.

3) For left handed shooters, the Mini is GTG out of the box. Low end ARs are right handed firearms or aftermarket money has to be spent.

4) The Mini isn't a "combat rifle." Lol, and good God. Most AR owners are combat shooters? Not by a long shot.

It ain't gonna be either rifle that gives up the ghost first.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:10 PM   #55
Model12Win

The Mini 14 in the AC-556 version (spelling?) IS a combat rifle, full auto variant. It is popular with police and military, not only in the US but in France. A stock off the shelf Mini isn't as good for this role due to a lack of full-auto fire.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:39 PM   #56
rickyrick

It always amazes the mileage a Mini14 thread gets.
Old September 8, 2017, 03:14 PM   #57
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
In my defence, I had no idea!!
Old September 8, 2017, 06:06 PM   #58
ThomasT

Quote:
Thats because everyone has an opinion on them no matter if they have ever owned one, shot one, held one, looked at one, or seen a picture of one.

Most have gathered their opinion from reading internet post like this one. My bud had a very early mini and he is a known marksman and he stated it wasn't very accurate. But it was accurate enough.

The newer Mini's are much better than the old guns. I was surprised how well mine shot even with cheap ammo. And my new gun throws brass about 6-8 foot away not 20 foot away like the old gun did until I changed gas bushings.

One other complaint is you cannot good a good replacement firing pin. That is no longer true. Here ya go.

https://www.firingpins.com/ruger-min...-pin-2470.html
Old September 8, 2017, 07:44 PM   #59
muzzleblast...

Here's a pretty good review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIZALtOcMf0
Old September 8, 2017, 08:38 PM   #60
Danoobie

They are a mixed bag, for me. On the one hand there's the M14 action,
the low-profile iron sights, the size and weight, and the looks.

OTOH, the barrel is nearly impossible to clean from the chamber end,
and the lamentable accuracy.
Old September 8, 2017, 08:38 PM   #61
rickyrick

When I went to basic in the 80s, some of the old soldiers had used garands and had fond things to say about them... about the same time, a came across a Mini14 stainless in a pawnshop for 100andsomething dollars. It had what I had perceived to be the beloved garand action; I was young and didn't know better. Paid the money and out the door I went. Had a few good years with it, unknowing of the of the rest of the world's plight with inaccurate Mini14s. It worked fine for me. I sold it because I was poor and had to kids to feed; army pay sucked in those years.
I never once thought of it as a substitute AR15... heck I didn't know people owned them back then.
Old September 8, 2017, 09:10 PM   #62
Tad_T

These Mini-14 people ...

I have two Model 12 Winchesters, a 1940 and a 1955, and a 1919 Model 1912 Winchester.

Does that make me "These Model 12 people...", too?

I reckon so.
Old September 8, 2017, 11:42 PM   #63
Model12Win

TAKE IT BACK!!!

Well... maybe on second though, I am a Model 12 person.
Old September 9, 2017, 12:50 AM   #64
SDF880

I have some AR's and 2 AK's but there is a Mini14 in the corner standing guard and I'm glad it's there!
Old September 9, 2017, 01:45 AM   #65
HiBC

Another opinion. I've never owned a Mini. I've shot them. I nearly bought one.I like the overall package...the concept.With a price adjustment and an under 3 MOA reputation...it would be more interesting.
The Mini came on during a time when the M-1Carbine was very popular,about $75,and easy to come by.We loved them!! But the market for 30 carbine ammo was 9 cents a round and up,and a lot of it was French,Berdan primed.
Meanwhile,go to a gunshow and US GI 5.56 was available by the thousands for 2 1/2 to 3 cents a round. So,yeah!! A 5.56 M1 Carbine was a market.
Later on,I could order 7.62x39 from AIM Surplus for $69 a thousand. YUP!! The Mini 30made sense.I bought an SKS carbine just to have a gun to shoot cheap 7.62x39.
And,likely the Mini did reasonably well against the old $75 gunshow average carbine for accuracy.I'm not sure a lot of M-1 carbine shooting involved precise shooting.

Remember the M-16 was phased in replacing the M-14 in Viet Nam shortly before the Mini.Lets not beat the dead horse arguing about it,but there was some strong sentiment about the M-16.A lot of folks would not have an AR-15.They never wanted to see one again.
And a lot missed and revered the M-14.

The general conservative shooting public is slow to accept anything new.To many writers,gunsmiths,curmudgions,etc...if you had a black rifle....you had character flaws,and should be shunned.

But a Mini in the pickup rear window was cool.Heck,"Ranch Rifles" ...Marlboroghs..Coors!!

The Viet Nam generation and sentiments are fading,and the Veterans of the sand places lived with their M-4's
The MSR is not looked at with the same disdain.The price has come down.And its a Barbie Doll for shooters.

Value for value,most folks choose the AR.And for over 50 years,a lot of resources have gone into improvement and evolution of the AR.Not so much on the Mini.

But,its OK to prefer a Mini,or enjoy the one you have.
For SD,or an LEO,or even a rancher,its just not likely you are going to shoot 100 yds +..
300 yd shots in the name of Law Enforcement or Self Defense generally are not politically correct. Probably 4 MOA accuracy gets the job done.

Last edited by HiBC; September 9, 2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old September 9, 2017, 08:11 AM   #66
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
So... to summarise then, the Mini 14 is like an AK in that it may not be super accurate but it just keeps on running on whatever you put in it.

It is better looking and less intimidating alternative to either AK or AR thanks to fit, finish and furniture. Only magazine availability is a concern in terms of consumables.

Does that sum it all up?
I would add that it just adds an alternative to a detachable mag, semi auto rifle in similar calibers to the AR, and AK. Some people just want something different.
Old September 9, 2017, 08:25 AM   #67
Screwball

Ruger Mini 14. Why?

I won't have issue buying a new one (Ranch, stainless and wood), nor getting magazines for it... upon getting out of NJ. If I can use it for work, I would consider it (depending on how it shoots). Some people are willing to purchase different firearms. I eventually want a Mini-14 in my collection. Just because whatever state's population wouldn't be caught dead with one doesn't mean it runs across the board.

Now, since it was brought up... I wouldn't want a Model 12. I like the 1897, 1887, but for more modern pumps... 870 or 37.
Old September 9, 2017, 10:00 AM   #68
COSteve

I went through basic and Germany with the M14, was an Army trained Armorer, and was issued the M16 in RVN. Currently, I have 3 ARs along with 2 M1 Garands, 2 M1 Carbines, an M1A, and yes, a newer, 583 Series, Mini-14 Ranch Rifle with the thicker barrel as part of my military arms collection. I shoot everything I own and have for over 60 yrs so I can honestly claim to be very familure with the capabilities of each of the platforms listed above.

My Mini-14 has some tweaks on it that cost me under $250, about the same as a decent trigger for my ARs. It's plenty accurate enough to use to shoot bowling pins at 200 yds with iron sights. It can produce 1ΒΌ" groups at 100 yds with my handloads, about the same accuracy as my M1A with NM sights. Better than my M1s and considerably better than my M1 Carbines.

My Mini has a Choate HG and Accu-Strut for both cooling and a better look, a trigger job, rear sight with hooded target NM size aperture and thinned front sight blade to give it NM like sights, a reduced gas bushing to slow down the harsh cycling, a shimmed action, and Wilson 1911 buffers. All simple tweaks that anyone can do themselves.

I never liked the bulky, awkward controls on the M16/AR15 nor the plastic fantastic feel of it. It always felt like a toy. My Mini feels much the the Mil rifles and carbine it was patterned after. It's a real joy to shoot.

Old September 9, 2017, 10:17 AM   #69
rickyrick

Mini14 controls are very intuitive.
Old September 9, 2017, 10:29 AM   #70
flashhole

Here in NY it makes zero sense to buy an AR15. No features worth the money.

The Mini has not been demonized. I have not seen the poor accuracy others described.

Are you ready for civil war?

Last edited by flashhole; September 9, 2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old September 9, 2017, 10:51 AM   #71
Pond, James Pond

Here's another question:
The name. Where on earth did it come from?

When talking cars, I can see why the Mini was called the Mini. But why this rifle?
Old September 9, 2017, 11:34 AM   #72
JT-AR-MG42

Quote:
My Mini-14 has ---thinned front sight blade
I could never figure why Ruger went with such a heavy (.i.e. wide) front ramp sight on the second model Minis.
The first model bead front was a better choice between the two.

I had a second model also and the blade was way too wide for good target work.
So I shortened the barrel, parkerized it, added a Choate folder and flash hider (neither of which I really cared for after having bought them) and sold it during the term of Bush the first.

Quote:
So... to summarise then, the Mini 14 is like an AK in that it may not be super accurate but it just keeps on running on whatever you put in it.
It is better looking and less intimidating alternative to either AK or AR thanks to fit, finish and furniture. Only magazine availability is a concern in terms of consumables.

Does that sum it all up?
I guess super accurate is a relative term.
How many of these super accurate ARs get used in the Palma Match?

I use 25 grs. of 748 with 50 gr. Sierras and have always been satisfied with the guns overall performance. My Mini shows a marked preference for them over any 55gr. bullet.
I reload almost everything I shoot and do not buy cheap FMJs, so I don't know how they perform in a Mini.

I think my Mini is better looking than my M16 (no photo though) to me.
Walnut always looks better than plastic and (as you can see from the barrel discoloration) the Mini is much handier to carry by the barrel over one's shoulder than the M16.
Spins into action quick for blackjacks.
Using the M16 carry handle would quickly put sage branches in the barrel.
The gun stock has plenty of minor dings and scratches... it is my uncanny ability with a camera -I use the point and pray method - to make any used gun look good and new guns look bad.

In 1976 magazines larger than 5 rounds that were any good were hard to come by.
My cop friend had taken a job out of state, so there went my pipeline.
I ended up with some real crap and finally got a couple of 20 rds. to function O.K.
No 30s for me as their length gets in the way of a proper hold.
Plenty of available magazines today.

The Mini does not take AR mags - True.
Where is the complaint against Glock/Sig/H&K for not all having interchangeable magazines across the board?

Quote:
The name. Where on earth did it come from?

When talking cars, I can see why the Mini was called the Mini. But why this rifle?
Sounds like you haven't handled a Mini 14 Mr. Pond.
Once you pick it up, you'll know why it is called the Mini.
Svelte with relatively clean lines and light enough to pack around all day.

JT
Old September 9, 2017, 12:46 PM   #73
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Sounds like you haven't handled a Mini 14 Mr. Pond.
Nope.

In fact I've onlyever seen one through the glorious medium of laptop monitors.

The way you describe it is a bit like the VZ58. That honestly looks like a toy gun, with its proportions. That is until you unload a mag of x39 on a paper target down range. Less of a toy, then....
Old September 9, 2017, 01:14 PM   #74
rickyrick

In the arms of a 250lb man it looks like a little gun

I hated that stock I put on it
Old September 9, 2017, 01:39 PM   #75
ThomasT

RickyRick is that a Chupacabra? I would hate that stock too.

I like my AR. I love my Mini-14. Heck I like all my guns. They all serve a purpose.
Closed Thread