The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 17, 2018, 03:24 AM   #1
CaptainJollyJames

Type 99 Magazine Box

I recently got a Type 99 rifle from a family member cleaning their attic out. I've been working on the gun cleaning it up and oiling. The original magazine box was missing so I picked one up on Ebay. The box will snap into place but there seems to be a bit too much metal exposed under the barrel area. This is pushing the whole assembly out a bit so its not flush to the stock. I can screw it in but its not flush to the wood as it should look.

Is there a variance on these magazine boxes? Has anyone with a Type 99 run into a similar issue? Any input or experience would be appreciated!
Old October 17, 2018, 10:35 AM   #2
tangolima

There is a relief cut into the receiver for the magazine box to snap in. Sounds like this part is correct. When snapped in place, the magazine box extends down. Very important. The lower end of the box should not be limited by wood when the rifle is assembled. In other words, the magazine box should not interfere with how the action is bedded in the stock. If you force it by cranking down on the action screws, the stock may crack under the magazine box.

The magazine you bought is a bit too long for your rifle. It is no big deal really. It can be filed to fit. When done, there actually needs to small slop for the box to move up and down. This allows for thermal expansion and contraction.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old October 17, 2018, 06:02 PM   #3
CaptainJollyJames

Thanks a lot for the response!

Tags
arisaka , type 99