The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 12, 2020, 08:46 AM   #1
2damnold4this

Thinking about a PSA 6.5 Grendel upper

PSA has several uppers in 6.5 Grendel that are less than $400 and I have been considering trying one. If I get one, it's primary use will be to plink steel targets less than 400 yards away and to hunt deer up to 200 yards away.

Anyone have any experience with these uppers? Do they work well and have reasonable accuracy?
Old January 12, 2020, 08:54 AM   #2
Fla_dogman

I'm pleased with mine. 18". Accuracy is good, cycling is flawless. I did play with the adjustable gas setting a little when I was setting it up but haven't had it jam since. I'm shooting coyotes at 200yds with it so I can't complain. Weight is awesome, not heavy at all. We scoped the chamber and barrel and it was a clean well done drilling. For the money I don't think you can go wrong.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fla_dogman; January 12, 2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old January 12, 2020, 08:57 AM   #3
MagnumWill

No experience with the upper itself, but so far I'm quite pleased with the 6.5 Grendel. I just finished a 6.5 20" build for hog hunting, and I'm tempted to put together another upper in 6.5. It's just really a great cartridge.
Old January 12, 2020, 07:36 PM   #4
doofus47

I'm liking mine. It's been very reliable thusfar. I'll admit I"ve put more rounds down range with my Grendel Hunter, but I threw a scope on it for antelope season and it was very steady with Hornady SST ammo. The hunting trip fell through, but I had confidence it would be fine to 250 yards.
Old January 12, 2020, 09:20 PM   #5
stolivar

I love my 12 inch PSA 6.5
grendel.

Last edited by stolivar; January 12, 2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old January 12, 2020, 09:34 PM   #6
2damnold4this

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and ordered a 20" 6.5 upper.
Old January 13, 2020, 04:50 AM   #7
stagpanther

Good choice--it's nice to have even a little extra velocity if you want to send larger bullets out a bit further.
Old January 13, 2020, 05:57 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

Mine has been a solid sub MOA shooter and isn't very temp sensitive barrel wise. When I got it the brass was showing some lines in it due to the chamber having distinct machining marks in it. I sent it back and they sort of polished the chamber, it still vaguely showed the marks but no longer affected the brass and still shot nice so I'm fine with that. I was a little disappointed they didn't replace the barrel but I ended up with a fine rifle and am happy with it in the end.
Old January 13, 2020, 06:06 PM   #9
jetinteriorguy

My apology for the brain fart, I misread the title. Mine is a 6.5 Creedmoor, not Grendel.
Old January 13, 2020, 09:22 PM   #10
SEHunter

I don’t have experience with the 6.5 but i did purchase a 5.56 PSA upper and lower recently. I’ve got nothing but positive things to say about PSA. Machining and finish were top notch and my upper and lower are both the low end Freedom line. Several hundred rounds through it with many different types of ammo. No malfunctions and it shoots very nice groups at 50 yards with a micro red dot. For the op’s description of purpose for the rifle, it should be more than adequate.
Old February 2, 2020, 10:40 PM   #11
GLK

I've been a PSA customer and owned many of their various products over the years. Only experienced one problem and it was corrected with a phone call. I have heard of others not being so pleased with their shipping times in the past and a very few will get lemons of course. But they are for real with awesome deals, their FN CHF machine gun steel barrels are as good as one will ever require.
Old February 3, 2020, 11:43 AM   #12
2damnold4this

I'm enjoying the upper so far. The only thing that seems a little off is the adjustable gas block. There were no instructions with it and it doesn't have a way to positively lock the adjustment screw in place.
Old February 5, 2020, 08:01 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

If it's like the one they used on my 6.5 CM, there should be two set screws. Loosen the one on the side, adjust with the one on the end and then lock it with the side screw.
Old February 5, 2020, 05:37 PM   #14
2damnold4this

The screw on the front is definitely the adjustment screw but the screw on the side is a plug. I took the plug out of the side and could see what looked like a tiny spring. I was at an outdoor range and didn't have my glasses, so I put the plug back in to avoid losing anything. The position of the plug didn't make any difference in the tension on the adjustment screw. I had several different buffers with me and I ended up using a carbine buffer with the adjustment screw out quite a bit.

It's functioning great with the carbine buffer and the position the adjustment screw is in with both types of ammo I had on hand but I worry that the screw might walk in or out. I might use red Locktite or I might remove the plug, spring and whatever else is in the threaded side hole and put a proper screw in its place.

I wish they had included some instructions and a description of how it is supposed to work but they didn't. I am pleased with the accuracy so far. I'm getting about three MOA with the cheap Wolf steel cased ammo and the Hornady Black ELD is showing great potential out of the upper.

Last edited by 2damnold4this; February 5, 2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old February 6, 2020, 06:06 AM   #15
jetinteriorguy

I haven't taken mine apart, but I did talk to the guy at PSA when sending mine back and that's what he told me about how the gas block worked. Maybe the pressure from the spring keeps the adjustable screw locked in place. This way you don't have the locking screw buggering up the threads on the adjustable screw.