The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 17, 2018, 02:00 PM   #1
Roamin_Wade

Cantankerous M-1A Disassembley

Folks, I can’t get my M-1A apart. I can’t get the handle/op rod to come out of the slot. I’ve tried all reasonable things mechanical advantages like screw drivers, etc., to pry it out or wedge it out but it won’t come out. I’m beginning to think that I’m going to have to take the scope off so I can set it upside down on the floor to maybe find another way to get it apart. Any help?
Old July 17, 2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Dave P

LEAVE IT ALONE! Why do you have to take it apart?

Sounds like you have a very tight fit, which is good.

Use q tips to clean what needs it. Oil the op rod. Grease the slot.

I made a mistake opening up my first Nat Match rifle. It really was not necessary.

these days, I dont disassemble my M14 rifles for 500-1000 rounds.
Old July 17, 2018, 03:24 PM   #3
StukaJU87

Unless something is wrong and you absolutely need to remove it, I'd leave it alone.

If you need to remove it, I typed "m1a op rod removal" into google and this was the first video result I got. I'm at work so I had to watch it with the sound off so I don't know if it will help or not.

Anyways, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZIK9ft_3U

Hope it helps.
Old July 17, 2018, 04:09 PM   #4
agtman

Disassembly instructions.

They came with the rifle.

Read them.

You can thank us later.
Old July 17, 2018, 04:45 PM   #5
Charlie98

You can use a soft face mallet or dead blow hammer to pop it out of the track the first time... just make sure the op rod tab is lined up with the slot at the rear. You should be able to cam the handle of the op rod up to get it out. New ones are a little sticky sometimes because of the parkerized finish... just go easy. I'm not saying drive it out with a hammer... sometimes it just needs a little bump is all.

And, yes, you need to take it apart to properly clean and lube an M1a.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old July 17, 2018, 04:49 PM   #6
AK103K

My last M1A, a SOCOM, was like that.

I had to use a flat blade jewelers screwdriver as a little "wedge" to help the op rod out of the slot.

Lay the blade in the channel the op rod rides in, at the cutout where the op rod pops out, and gently pull the op rod onto the screwdriver blade. Should pop right out. Mine did anyway.

They should come off easily, without tools. Thats how they were designed. Of course, thats assuming the gun was built properly, and to the proper specs. I think thats where the problem lies here, and the main reason I quit buying Springfield.
Old July 17, 2018, 06:12 PM   #7
DukeConnor

http://www.tonybenm14.com/

Your welcome
Old July 17, 2018, 07:24 PM   #8
Roamin_Wade

I’m sorry if I’ve given the impression that it is new and therefore there is no need to take it apart. I’ve had it since 2012 and it’s not the NM, but it is the loaded model with thicker NM SS barrel. I’ve had it apart before and that’s why it is so maddening that it won’t come apart now. I ran into some bad ammo that, once shot, the case remained stuck in chamber. It’s not the Gun because other ammo works and the problem ammo also gets stuck in a Savage 99 lever action after shooting. Very peculiar ammo problem but I’ve now got the remaining 35 rounds separated to not shoot. (Will sell at very low cost.������) Now the Gun won’t disassemble and I may have done something to the action from that bad ammo.
Old July 18, 2018, 07:43 AM   #9
agtman

Quote:
Very peculiar ammo problem but I’ve now got the remaining 35 rounds separated to not shoot. (Will sell at very low cost.������) Now the Gun won’t disassemble and I may have done something to the action from that bad ammo.

Perhaps it's time to consider selling the rifle too (?).
Old July 18, 2018, 09:36 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Perhaps it's time to consider selling the rifle too (?).
Boo! Hiss!!!

I'm NEVER buying anything from you!!! Something goes wrong and your advice is …"sell it!"

The gas system of the M14 is self regulating, and therefore a bent op rod shouldn't happen.

However, when it comes to things like that, I've learned that its wisest to "never say never".

You won't like the cost, (replacement op rods are NOT cheap) the rifle needs to be checked over by a QUALIFIED shop. Usually, the best people to check it over are the ones that made it. There are others, use one.
Old July 18, 2018, 09:56 AM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...no need to take it apart..." Needs to be thoroughly cleaned before shooting. And it should come apart without tools. There's no mention of the SS barreled 'Loaded' rifle requiring any different field stripping than any other M1A in its manual. No tools required either.
Talk to SA Inc. Doesn't cost to ask a question.
https://www.springfield-armory.com/contact/
Old July 18, 2018, 04:09 PM   #12
bfoosh006

The Tony Ben videos are some of the best free info you can get from the internet !!

Tony knows his stuff !!
Old July 18, 2018, 07:13 PM   #13
Roamin_Wade

Now that I’ve got it out and have began trying to disassemble it, I have noticed an interesting thing. Where the slide comes back from the piston and has the radial part of it that goes 90 degrees around to the slide handle, right there in that 90 degree webbing is showing marks where it’s been thrown back and has struck the front of the receiver probably close to .80”-.100”. I saw a raw metal part and brought the action back and it shows that it has been coming back into the static portion of rifle. It’s just a little but obviously has struck none the less. Otherwise, it doesn’t appear bent or warped in any way.
Old July 18, 2018, 09:25 PM   #14
Charlie98

My Socom did that, too... it was actually hitting the optic mount, so I took it off. You can take a very fine file and work the area if it has some metal peened up, but I wouldn't work about it. Just remember, the Springfield has a lifetime warranty... assuming you are the original owner.

If I may ask, what ammo were you getting odd performance with? As it happens, I have a Savage 99, too, in .308. I've found the 99 to have a very generous chamber... if you are having problems with your ammo in that, you got problem ammo!

Old July 18, 2018, 09:50 PM   #15
Roamin_Wade

I don’t see how to quote someone and respond to them but this is to Charlie_98. I’m not sure the brand because when I started collecting ammo I first opened it all and stored in cans, etc., so it started and I thought it was a Gun, then I’d take the other gun and it would happen and I started thinking it must be a .308 to 7.62mm problem and it took two more times to the range to figure out which ammo it was specifically and I have 35 left. I think it is Magtech 7.62 ammo. It had “CBC 15” on the rim with green wax in the primer ring to seal it from moisture.
Old July 18, 2018, 09:52 PM   #16
Roamin_Wade

I got it apart bfoosh006. Tony Ben was the best advice. I honed all the surfaces and fit it all better than it was.

Thanks to everyone in the thread. Good info shared by all!
Old July 19, 2018, 09:24 AM   #17
Charlie98

Quote:
It had “CBC 15”
Yes, Magtech. In fact, I had some of that, too. Mine cycled without problems, but I didn't think it was anything to write home about. Contrary to most public opinion, I don't care for Magtech ammo of any flavor and pretty much avoid it.

Old July 19, 2018, 03:03 PM   #18
Scorch

Quote:
It’s not the Gun because other ammo works and the problem ammo also gets stuck in a Savage 99 lever action after shooting.
OK, just want to interject here. Savage 99s in 308 are NOTORIOUS for difficult extraction! Savage 99s are rear-locking, and were not designed for high-pressure cartridges, and have no camming action for pulling the case out of the chamber, so difficult extraction is entirely normal. M1As, on the other hand, were designed for that cartridge, and will have no problem digesting and extracting 308/7.62X51 ammo. So, the Savage 99 and the M1A are entirely different animals, comparing one to the other will not answer any difficult extraction questions.
Old July 19, 2018, 07:27 PM   #19
DukeConnor

No love for me ? I am the one that posted the link.