The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2018, 09:25 PM   #1
bspillman

Ruger SR40

Hey folks, I’ve never really been a huge Ruger fan but while at the range today a buddy of mine said he just past the 5000 round mark with his SR40 with out any issues. Is this the norm with this series from ruger or are they girly or miss. If it’s the norm I may pick one up. He said the only mod he has done was remove the mag disconnect safety.
Old July 10, 2018, 10:24 PM   #2
the rifleer

I have one and it's been flawless. Its a great pistol and fun to shoot. Its an honest semi auto pistol. Ruger makes a great product and stands by it.
Old July 11, 2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Fishbed77

My brother has an SR9 with several thousand rounds through it. No problems so far.

Some design features of the SR-series pistols are questionable (mag disconnect, somewhat hokey loaded chamber indicator, and manual safety). But the quality of the pistol is good, the slim feel of the grip is nice considering it's a double-stack, the trigger is pretty good for a striker-fired pistol of its timeframe, and it is quite accurate.
Old July 11, 2018, 09:58 AM   #4
mlk18

The SR series of guns are really well designed and well made, right up until the old-school Ruger lawyers got involved with it. I was waiting and hoping for a long time that they would come out the an SR9 Pro Series that did away with all the unnecessary and problematic features that restricted the popularity of the gun. But instead they came out with the American series, which is an okay but overweight/oversized gun without the same comfortable ergos and slimness of the SR line. Someday Ruger will hopefully get it right. They seem to be making baby steps forward anyway.
Old July 11, 2018, 10:51 AM   #5
lonewolf5348

I have now about 2 year old SR9
I must have around the 4,000 rounds down the bore
No problems Here
Old July 11, 2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
But instead they came out with the American series, which is an okay but overweight/oversized gun without the same comfortable ergos and slimness of the SR line.
Agreed.

While the American Pistol was a step forward in simplicity, it was definitely a step backwards in size and ergonomics.

The Ruger 9E eliminates some of the annoying "features" of the SR9, but is a step down in a few ways as well.
Old July 11, 2018, 03:33 PM   #7
mlk18

I almost bought a 9E and was going to just ignore the manual safety, but unfortunately they put it in the worst possible spot to interfere with my grip. I am also surprised that no one invented and marketed a "delete" for the safety. From what I understand it would not have been that difficult.
Old July 11, 2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Mosin44az

My SR40 C was finicky about what it would feed and not truly dependable even after a trip back to Ruger. My SR 45 had similar issues. Per Dpris, a gun writer on this forum, the American series is a more solidly worked out model IIRC. But I agree with those who criticize its size and general clunkiness.

Obviously others are happy with their SRs, but they just didn’t work for me. I wanted them to, I like the style and actually think the safety is cleverly placed, taking a deliberate effort to put on but easy to sweep off.