The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 20, 2018, 03:32 PM   #1
VW3

To shoot or not to shoot rifle

Hello everyone, I’ve been reading the forum here for awhile and have finally decided to create an account and make a post because I have a question for you all.

When I was 12, I won a Henry Goldenboy in .22LR through a raffle. My dad suggested that I don’t shoot it so that someday it would be worth lots of money. Now it’s about 13 years later and I would kind of like to shoot it.

So, is there any truth to that? Are unfired guns worth that much more? Or should I just take it out and shoot it?
Old June 20, 2018, 03:42 PM   #2
LineStretcher

I'm of the opinion that if you have a rifle that you want to shoot, then shoot it and enjoy it. The value will be in its unmodified condition so as long as you dont modify it you'll retain most of its value. I recently found an unmodified pre 64 Winchester model 94 in pristine condition. First thing I did after cleaning it was to shoot it. It had been shot before and almost any good rifle will have been shot during testing at the factory. I dont think anyone would expect it to have never been fired.
Old June 20, 2018, 03:46 PM   #3
VW3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
I'm of the opinion that if you have a rifle that you want to shoot, then shoot it and enjoy it. The value will be in its unmodified condition so as long as you dont modify it you'll retain most of its value. I recently found an unmodified pre 64 Winchester model 94 in pristine condition. First thing I did after cleaning it was to shoot it. It had been shot before and almost any good rifle will have been shot during testing at the factory. I dont think anyone would expect it to have never been fired.
That’s what I’m thinking. It makes me a little sad though to go all these years without shooting it. Will an older Goldenboy even really have much value in 50 years?
Old June 20, 2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Scorch

Henry Golden Boy rifles are in production and have been for many years. So, IMO, collector value is nil, go and shoot it. Of course, if during your lifetime the rifle becomes a collector's sweetheart, you may feel kinda silly, but you'll feel better when you think of the fun you had. A friend of mine about 40 years ago had a 1962 Chevy Malibu Super Sport with a 409. It was sitting in the pasture behind his barn. He used to laugh when I asked him why he didn't fix it up. He said he'd had his fun with it, until the car became too much trouble to keep running, then it was no fun. So, go have your fun with it. In the mean time, they'll make more.
Old June 20, 2018, 07:32 PM   #5
raimius

It does not sound like a rare rifle. The collectors value is low. You can shoot it if you want.
Old June 20, 2018, 07:39 PM   #6
moosemike

Dumb advice. It's a tool not a god.
Old June 20, 2018, 08:10 PM   #7
handlerer2

I enjoyed this quote, retold by an associate.

Elmer Kieth had received a new custom rifle, supposed to be a piece of art.

His friend said to him" Isn't that rifle to pretty to shoot?

Elmer was supposed to have said " Ever seen a girl to pretty to kiss?"

I don't know if this is true or not, but I like it anyway.

So, you decide to shoot it or not.
Old June 20, 2018, 08:34 PM   #8
std7mag

As was said already.
Has been in production for years, and i don't forsee them stopping production any time soon.

It's not like the 1860 Harpersferry that i bought years ago.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 20, 2018, 08:45 PM   #9
AL45

There is no fun in staring at a gun. They are made to shoot. Shoot it.
Old June 20, 2018, 09:10 PM   #10
VW3

Thanks for the input everyone. Next time I’m home I’ll take it out and try to channel my inner John Wayne!
Old June 20, 2018, 09:16 PM   #11
TXAZ

If you want an investment, put your money in Warren Buffett / Berkshire Hathaway or Jeff Bezos/ Amazon companies.
If you want fun, shoot the rifle.

(This is not investment advice

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 21, 2018, 12:02 AM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
That’s what I’m thinking. It makes me a little sad though to go all these years without shooting it. Will an older Goldenboy even really have much value in 50 years?
In 50 years, the early HRA Goldenboy rifles may be worth a bit more than 'run-of-the-mill' rifles; and unfired examples may be worth notably more.

But a 2005 rifle is going to be 'run-of-the-mill' ... even if unfired.

Shoot it, or sell it. Don't sit on it.
Old June 21, 2018, 11:41 AM   #13
T. O'Heir

A Henry Goldenboy in .22LR has no current collector value or interest. Maybe in 100 or so years though. Not 50.
"...sitting in the pasture behind his barn..." Rusting. Be worth some money if it had been cared for. There's a '72 Malibu SS on .autotrader.ca valued at $49,900Cdn.
Old June 23, 2018, 08:11 AM   #14
kraigwy

I buy my firearms for me to enjoy. I dont really care what its valued to someone in the future.

I care about the enjoyment I get out of it. I dont have any guns I dont shoot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 23, 2018, 08:17 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

I don't see a zinc framed rifle being collectible. Shoot it.
Old June 24, 2018, 06:28 PM   #16
dgludwig

Quote:
Shoot it, or sell it. Don't sit on it.
Yep. And not to rain on anyone's parade but 4V50 Gary's admonition regarding the future collectability predictability of "zinc framed" firearms is no doubt the case. If there's an exception to the rule, I'd be interested in learning of it/them. Liberators? And even they were stamped steel as opposed to "pot metal" (I think).

Last edited by dgludwig; June 24, 2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old June 24, 2018, 06:50 PM   #17
Pahoo

Go for it !!!

"Every dog deserves one good bite."

As long as it's safe to do so, I shoot "most" everything I have owned, at least once. I have even shot commemoratives. I do have some museum pieces that I have never shot but some one else has …

Go for it and;
Be Safe !!!!
Old June 24, 2018, 06:59 PM   #18
Blindstitch

As soon as a rifle leaves the gunshop it becomes used even if it is unused. So use it.
Old June 25, 2018, 05:46 PM   #19
Picher

Shoot the crap out of it and enjoy every minute!!! Life's too short to not enjoy the toys you own. I own a bunch of guns and fired everyone of them many times. Twenty-twos were made to enjoy shooting; so have fun!!!

JP
Old July 2, 2018, 07:53 PM   #20
rc

Add some character and memories

I think it's sad you've not enjoyed it for 13 years. It's not particularly rare or valuable and it has sentimental value. Use it as an occasional shooter and maybe one day you'll teach your kids to shoot with that gun and pass it down to one of them. You can't take it with you in your casket.
Old July 3, 2018, 08:20 AM   #21
ilmonster

Agree with others, unless it was a Henry from the 1800's, go shoot it. Read an article recently in one of the gun magazines of a writer (who I think posts here) testing a Henry Golden Boy, and putting somewhere in the neighborhood of 25,000+ rounds through it with no issues. Go shoot that thing and eventually hand it down to the next generation!
Old July 3, 2018, 01:35 PM   #22
T. O'Heir

Liberators weren't zinc. They're collector pieces because of the story that goes with 'em and relative rarity.
The Goldenboy's receiver cover is a cast, zinc based, AL alloy.
Old July 4, 2018, 08:07 AM   #23
P-990

Shoot it! It's a Henry Golden Boy, they're in current production and the Henry company isn't likely to go out of business very soon.

To be honest, it's not a particularly valuable firearm from a monetary-standpoint, so you might as well make some memories with your friends and family using it. That will be of far more value in the long run.
Old July 4, 2018, 11:13 AM   #24
Don Fischer

These question's are always easy for me. I don't invest in rifles! I have one rifle, custom 1903 by Paul Jaeger they was appraised in 1993 at $7500! The stock was worn and needed refinish and the barrel was in bad shape due to primers. it's my elk rifle now. But how many 1903's attain that kind of value, it's been sporterized! Pre 64 Mod 70's command a good price but it is my opinion that they are no better than new mod 70's! That's not to say that people are wrong for spending that much on a used rifle if it's worth it to them.

Your little 22 in 40 years will be what ever you can get for it, no more and no less. Shoot might be worth almost as much as it cost new! I don't know a lot about investing but let's say it doubled it's new price in that 40 yrs, I think a good stock would be worth far more.

I didn't use my 1903 much because first it came from a very close friend and second because it was worth so much. Well a couple years ago it became a cast bullet rifle and last year it became my elk rifle. I've refinished the stock so the value probably goes down but what do I care? I use the rifle. If it had been offered ne to buy, no way would I spend that much on a rifle but someone would have. Just have to wait to find that person. Use your rifle. Could be it will make memory's far more important than it's collector value!