The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 21, 2018, 10:23 PM   #1
konstan

Want a pocket holster for a S&W 64 4 inch

Hey all

I really like to carry my S&W 64 with a 4" barrel in my right front jeans or overalls pocket. It is plenty hidden, the jacket hides the handle, and its comfortable to drive with it as well as to do farm work.

The only reason that I want a holster is to protect it from the lint that seems to gather in and around the "business end".

I looked on ebay and on Midway and I couldn't find anything specifically for pocket, and the longer holsters that I did see will just make everything stick out of the pocket more than necessary...

Where should I look?
Old June 21, 2018, 10:44 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

This company says they have one. Might want to contact them to confirm it.
https://www.alabamaholster.com/produ...ocket-holster/
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 22, 2018, 02:14 AM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

I doubt you'll find a wide range of pocket holsters for a 4-inch 64.
I can't even imagine trying to carry mine in my Levi's pocket.
And I LIVE in Levi's.

Good luck.
Denis
Old June 22, 2018, 05:49 AM   #4
amd6547

Strangely enough, a couple days ago, I was bringing my Model 10 4” tapered barrel upstairs, while bringing up some clothes.
Hands full, I slipped the Model 10 into the pocket of my Dickies carpenter jeans...it slipped right in, and immediately had me thinking of a pocket holster.
Old June 22, 2018, 06:30 AM   #5
Scoits

Try and see if Sticky makes a holster for 4”. Good little pocket holster and not overly $$$
Old June 22, 2018, 06:48 AM   #6
shurshot

In the past, I have located cheap nylon pocket holsters at Wal-Mart (for 2-3" snubs). If I recall, they had larger ones, but that was a couple years ago. Worse case scenario, with scissors, needle, thread and an old nylon jacket or backpack, you could trace out your gun and make one that works as well as anything.

Last edited by shurshot; June 22, 2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old June 22, 2018, 07:23 AM   #7
rodfac

Wow, you wear looser Levis than I do...tho a friend wears bib's for summer work in the garden etc. That's a pretty long barreled revolver to carry in that manner, and I can't imagine sitting on a tractor (we live on a farm as well), nor any other farm machinery, but do suggest a good belt holster is equally concealable, and more comfortable,not to mention quicker for the draw movement than any pocket carry. If Photobucket hadn't held my photo hostage for more than a year now, I'd post a pic. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 22, 2018, 07:53 AM   #8
amd6547

A belt holster is obviously preferable. I have an old Bianchi #3 IWB that carries my Model 10 very comfortably.
Still, it could be handy to just slip it in a pocket when answering a door or something. The old timers made leather pocket holsters for the 4” Smith that were made to slip in the breast pocket of a coat.
I agree, pocket carry is worthless in a car.
Old June 26, 2018, 06:47 PM   #9
konstan

Well... Yeah its not a small gun by any means. If its in my right pocket, that pocket is "fully committed" and yeah a quick draw in a car would be difficult.

I guess I am just... comfortable with it in my pocket.

I may get a shorter barrel .38 at some point but for now, this is what I like to carry. I don't carry every day (daytime job does not allow it). Winter is a no-brainer, breast pocket just like amd6547 ^^^ said.

Thanks for the feedback guys I am gonna order me something soon
Old June 26, 2018, 07:32 PM   #10
kenny53

I second the suggestion on Sticky holster. I have two for pocket guns. I would think they have one for a four inch gun.