Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
Earlier in this thread I said apparently some
people are slow learners.

The OP has a fine revolver and putting it up for sale
is someone else's gain and his loss. I say this
because I fear he won't be much happier with
a model with a cylinder ball detente.
You are correct about the slow learner thingy. Some folks just can't get it thru their head that the OP does not like the gun. What difference does it make why he doesn't like it? Just because others do, makes him a slow learner? Odds are there is more to the story, but it really doesn't matter. Some folks don't like stainless, some folks don't like certain calibers and some don't like specific guns because they're "ugly". I know of folks that hate the placement of the safety on Remington shotguns and thus have sold them because of it. Slow learners? No....they just know what they like or don't like and what others think ain't important since it's their money....their choice. Again, better the OP sells the gun and someone enjoys it. Kinda like my first wife. Her second husband thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread.........doesn't mean we shoulda stayed together.
Old June 20, 2018, 05:35 PM   #52
UncleEd

Buck,

I fully understand your point of view.

But if someone posts an opinion, for or
against something, on an open forum
then counter opinions and views should
be expected.
Old June 20, 2018, 07:15 PM   #53
jmstr

So, the Flattop aligns the loading gate and chamber in a different manner than the standard Blackhawk?

I never realized that.

Hmm.

If you want this change- go for it. Glad you are getting what you want.

Personally, I have a Single-Six, .357Blackhawk, and .45lc/.45acp Blackhawk- plus SuperBlackhawk.

I've put steel grip frames on the .357Blackhawk and the single-six, as I like the balance better. I will do that to the .45lc/acp Blackhawk also, down the road.

I live in California, where carry is almost impossible. For self-defense, I've got bottom-feeders to choose from, or GP100.

For me, I wanted the standard .45lc/acp Blackhawk, so that I could experiment with 'ruger only' .45lc loads in it and not worry about a medium frame.

Interchangeability in size for my Ruger SA revolvers, and strength of frame, were more important to me than loading gate alignment.

And, I like fiddling with things, so getting a steel grip frame later on to swap out was worth it to me.

I am not saying that the OP shouldn't be doing this-but I just didn't see anywhere that they show the loading gate/chamber lining up on the cylinder lock/notch to allow smoother reloading.

If that is the main concern, and not the steel grip frame [or lack thereof], are you SURE you have the solution?

If it is the steel grip frame [as primary concern], then this is one of two ways to do it!

Good luck in your pursuit, and enjoy what you get!!!
Old June 20, 2018, 08:08 PM   #54
ThomasT

If I have it correct the cylinder will stop with the loading gate and chamber lined up because of the plunger installed that drops into the ratchet and causes the cylinder to stop rotating before it has went too far.

The free spin hand will let you back the cylinder backwards to realign the charge hole. Thats what I posted in my earlier post. And you can do the modification yourself.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm

Last edited by ThomasT; June 20, 2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old June 20, 2018, 08:45 PM   #55
BBarn

From one who has both and prefers the mid frame...

The plunger doesn't prevent you from rotating the cylinder too far. But unlike the standard model, if you rotate slightly too far, you can back it up a little and it stops with the cylinder centered to the loading gate port for easy loading or ejection of empties.

I have lived with the standard frame for years (and still enjoy them), but I do consider the plunger of the mid-frame a desirable feature. And I think many who have actually used both will prefer the plunger feature, especially if they are content with 357, 44 Special, or standard 45 Colt loads.
Old June 20, 2018, 11:42 PM   #56
Fjblair

You already have a thread going on this gun, but you need another one to declare it a horrible mistake. Since the action hasn't really changed since the early 70's and there are thousands of internet reviews and discussions, your breathless rant seems a bit absurd.

The gun is wildly popular and has an excellent plus reputation, so I think your rant is way off the mark. You could have just said you want to sell it because it didn't work out for you.
Old June 21, 2018, 12:22 AM   #57
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjblair View Post
You already have a thread going on this gun, but you need another one to declare it a horrible mistake. Since the action hasn't really changed since the early 70's and there are thousands of internet reviews and discussions, your breathless rant seems a bit absurd.

The gun is wildly popular and has an excellent plus reputation, so I think your rant is way off the mark. You could have just said you want to sell it because it didn't work out for you.
Yeah you're probably right.
Old June 21, 2018, 10:41 AM   #58
Bobshouse

I just looked at your post in the sell section. How in the heck did you get that turn line in the cylinder?

Just for the heck of it, send it back to Ruger, there might actually be something wrong with it. They might fix your problem and return the gun with a new cylinder and the timing problem fixed.

Bob

Last edited by Bobshouse; June 21, 2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old June 21, 2018, 11:34 AM   #59
DPris
Member Emeritus

If it's a standard Blackhawk, they won't change anything in the cylinder rotation's barrel/chamber alignment, it's just what that action does.
Denis
Old June 21, 2018, 01:58 PM   #60
UncleEd

Bobhouse,

Turn line?

Looks pretty normal to me.

Ruger's cylinder stop/bolt pops early and is
typical of its design in the post 1973 models.

Any amount of dry firing or shooting will start
to produce such a line.

The early engagement of the bolt allows for
fast shooting since the bolt will pop into
the cylinder notch positively. In heavy
shooting for the Colt SAA a longer
lede is cut for the cylinder notch and
heavier spring is installed for the bolt
itself. Otherwise the cylinder is apt
to fly by the notch. This plus the
SAA lockwork is totally different than
the New Blackhawk.

A turn line is also typical for Smith
DA revolvers/
Old June 21, 2018, 02:06 PM   #61
DPris
Member Emeritus

I get a turn line on my head, too, if I wear a hat too long.....
Denis
Old June 21, 2018, 02:21 PM   #62
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
Bobhouse,

Turn line?

Looks pretty normal to me.

Ruger's cylinder stop/bolt pops early and is
typical of its design in the post 1973 models.

Any amount of dry firing or shooting will start
to produce such a line.

The early engagement of the bolt allows for
fast shooting since the bolt will pop into
the cylinder notch positively. In heavy
shooting for the Colt SAA a longer
lede is cut for the cylinder notch and
heavier spring is installed for the bolt
itself. Otherwise the cylinder is apt
to fly by the notch. This plus the
SAA lockwork is totally different than
the New Blackhawk.

A turn line is also typical for Smith
DA revolvers/
+1 thanks for the explanation, UncleEd!
Old June 24, 2018, 02:26 PM   #63
Bobshouse

I'm sorry Ed. I have a 45 colt Blackhawk convertible and the turn line is nowhere that pronounced. The timing is off on that gun pretty severely. A few pictures of that cylinder to Ruger would definately be worth the time and trouble.
Old June 24, 2018, 02:37 PM   #64
rclark

Turn line looks normal to me too. I got several that look worse than that. They've had lots of use though. Shoot New Model Rugers and your going to have turn lines. Stoning the bolt helps, but doesn't eliminate.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old June 24, 2018, 03:36 PM   #65
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
I'm sorry Ed. I have a 45 colt Blackhawk convertible and the turn line is nowhere that pronounced. The timing is off on that gun pretty severely. A few pictures of that cylinder to Ruger would definately be worth the time and trouble.
The timing is not off on this gun.