The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 28, 2018, 01:06 PM   #1
Jakeway

My first Single Action

Today I bit the bullet (figuratively) and bought a Uberti Cattleman II in 45 LC. I got out of work early yesterday and stopped at gun store about 40 minutes from my house, where I hadn't stopped in years. They had several Ubertis in stock, and the guy working there actually had personal experience with both SA cartridge guns and BP revolvers and was able to answer all my questions.

At first I was interested in a fine 7.5" barrel for only $439, but then I noticed a 5.5" model with pretty nice looking curly grain in the walnut grips. I thought about it all night, and I kept going back to those nice looking grips. I decided the nicer wood was worth the 10% higher price on that particular gun, so I went back this morning and bought it.

Tomorrow morning I'll go to my buddy's farm and shoot it...maybe in the sunshine I'll get some pics to post.
Old April 28, 2018, 01:30 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

I have a 7 1/2" Uberti Cattleman in 45 Colt - a great revolver. I have a Uberty Bisley in 357 - 5 1/2" barrel - both excellent shooters.

In my Cattleman, I use the Lyman/Ideal 454-190 over either Red Dot or Unique. It show awesome at 25 and 50 yards if I do my job.

You'll Like your Uberti - and the 45 Colt is an easy cartridge to reload in either Bp or Smokeless.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 28, 2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Hawg

You're going to love it.
Old April 29, 2018, 08:53 AM   #4
stinkeypete

You did well

Personally, I prefer the barrel length around 5 inches until one starts in to those “Ruger Only” power levels. After exploring that as far as it will go, I came around to my present stance of “9 grains of unique is plenty enough.”

Enjoy. Even a very light load in .45 Colt is no joke, and I hope you enjoy.
Old April 29, 2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Just curious.

Does it have the new retractable firing pin in the hammer, or does the firing pin stay put in the hammer?
Old April 29, 2018, 08:55 PM   #6
Jakeway

It has the retractable firing pin. I don't think I like it. The trigger has much more creep and is heavier than either of my Pietta Cap & Ball revolvers. I only shot 25 rounds today. I got about a three inch group at 20 yards when using a rest, but the group was about 3" low at that range. Off hand I only hit an 8" steel plate 2 out of 5 shots.

Also, two of the primers pierced; you can see light through it. The other 23 rounds had very deep dents in the primers. Winchester 250 gr Cowboy Action loads.
Old April 30, 2018, 09:27 AM   #7
Trum4n1208

According to a gentleman I exchanged emails with at Cimarron Firearms, all of the Uberti SAA repro revolvers will be switched over to the new firing pins this year, including the 'Old Model' revolvers. So if you want them with the fixed firing pin then get them now.

Jakeway, you might be able to buy one of the older hammers off of VTI gunparts and switch them out.
Old May 2, 2018, 03:35 PM   #8
Jakeway

Will need new hammer and also either new trigger or modify the old one. It might be better to do something to make the firing pin fixed in place.

If the heavier trigger pull I'm experiencing is caused b something other than the additional resistance of the "safety pin" inside the hammer, then I'll just keep it as is.
Old May 2, 2018, 07:19 PM   #9
Jakeway

Pics don't do it justice; the curls change as the light angle changes.

Old May 2, 2018, 11:04 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nice stocks