The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old October 2, 2017, 07:12 PM   #1
JeepHammer

Are New Shortages Coming?

Local gun/reloading shop opened at 8:30 am,
The owner said he was sold out of common ammo & reloading supplies by noon...
Old October 2, 2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Knee jerk reaction to the events in Vegas
Old October 2, 2017, 07:49 PM   #3
seeker_two

I hate it when people take advantage of situations like this to make a profit......

.....although I had already planned to sell a pistol at the local gun show this weekend.....

....so I'll probably just hate myself and do it anyway.
Old October 2, 2017, 07:56 PM   #4
Old Stony

No doubt we are going to face indescribable crap from today on. I expect things to get really out of hand!
Old October 2, 2017, 08:17 PM   #5
grine_22

I hope prices and availability don't get hit, but in case, i stockpiled today.
Old October 2, 2017, 08:21 PM   #6
TXAZ

This is a national tragedy, but let the uninitiated overpay for ammo for the next few weeks.
It's very unlikely the current administration is going to change anything. Chuck and Nancy and "Moms demand Action" will run off at the piehole, but that's about the extent of it.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 2, 2017, 09:36 PM   #7
Geezerbiker

I imagine people are going to be seriously spooked for awhile but it should die down. I don't expect the leftist anti-gun psychobabble to change anything.

Tony
Old October 2, 2017, 09:46 PM   #8
JoeSixpack

Industry slump just got a bump.
Will it be a mountain climb or a bump in the road.. that remains to be seen.
I don't expect much to happen at the federal level.. maybe state level might see some movement.

Im worried about price jumps.. which sucks cause after years of panic tax we was enjoying a buyers market.

I think we'll see some sort of price hike simply cause they won't need to the sales to move product like they currently are.

Hopefully by black friday people settle back down.
I got junk I wanna buy still.
Old October 2, 2017, 10:09 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

If there is a shortage, I'm prepared.

This time.
Old October 3, 2017, 06:04 AM   #10
AirForceShooter

The storm is coming and it's gonna be a Cat5

AFS
Old October 3, 2017, 06:36 AM   #11
Don P

Quote:
And the hysteria begins because of one shops situation and a blog on the liar net. This is how this BS starts. First off where are you living that this took place or where is the LGS??????
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 3, 2017, 07:05 AM   #12
Doc7

I went to the gun store last night and nobody was in there, plenty of everything on the shelf, and the clerk didn't bat an eye when i asked which shelf to find Pmags on. They had a large variety and inventory of all Magpul products and magazine/ magazine accessories (dust covers, etc)
Old October 3, 2017, 07:19 AM   #13
higgite

The sky is falling.... again. Why do we insist on being our own worst enemy?
Old October 3, 2017, 07:24 AM   #14
Bayou

We all should have learned our lessons from the past - be prepared and stocked all the time.......

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old October 3, 2017, 07:42 AM   #15
hounddawg

I was in the neighborhood Mom and Pop store to talk to the smith there, and there was no sign of any sort panic going on. If Hillary had been elected I am sure the shelves would have been bare however

Of course I am sure that the gun show vendors and such would love to start a panic by spreading rumors

Last edited by hounddawg; October 3, 2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old October 3, 2017, 08:49 AM   #16
jmorris

If the looser of the last election won, I would say the fear could be seen as more rational, despite any new legislation being unlikely with R controlled House and Senate.

At the briefing yesterday when a reporter was trying to turn the tragedy political asking the press secretary repeatedly about new gun control laws, she flipped the argument to Chicago's strict gun laws and astronomical amount of firearm related deaths before moving on.

At this point all we need to worry about is a "deal" being made to pass tax reform or something else that the POTUS and "our guys" give in somehow on the 2nd Amendment.

Like the Hughes Amendment that was stuck on the Firearm Owners Protection act that Reagan signed May 19 1986.

That is quite unlikely as he likes his base supporters and the Democrats couldn't stand for him to do anything "productive" in their minds.

From a sellers stand point, I can see them moving half the inventory off the shelves Monday morning before they unlocked the door and double the price of what left. Restocking as the cash register fills... Like CTD

Last edited by jmorris; October 3, 2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old October 3, 2017, 01:16 PM   #17
Tsquared

The Blue states that already have very restrictive gun laws may double down. I don't expect the US as a whole to make a stock up run for ammo and other supplies. But there will be some opportunist that will want to capitalize off it.

I am glad I have a 3 year supply of ammo and components.
Old October 3, 2017, 01:17 PM   #18
Kwik2010

It's hitting here as well. Since I'm not made of money I'm honna go pick up what I can of some Unique and H110 so I can at least keep feeding my revolvers for a while and some Varget for the rifles. I'm gonna grab a bulk box of 38 caliber lead too. Never loaded lead before but for the price and availability I'll learn.
Old October 3, 2017, 01:29 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

"...Knee jerk reaction to the events in Vegas..." Yep. So is Smith's holding company, American Outdoor Brands Corp., and Ruger's stock value increasing. Just like they did after the Orlando shootings.
Old October 3, 2017, 03:03 PM   #20
hdwhit

Quote:
Spot shortages, probably.

Widespread, long-lasting shortages, probably not.

We have a huge number of people in this country that slept through their High School Civics class and so have no idea how their government functions. We see this in posts where people talk about Executive Branch Agencies "passing laws", something they do not do. Such people hear a legislator talking about a bill that has been sponsored and they act as if it will be enacted tomorrow and the black helicopters will be landing on their rooftop by the weekend. They will go out and panic buy and create the shortages for the rest of us.

Already at the time of the 2016 elections, there were posts indicating people were financially exhausted but still directing every spare dollar to guns, ammunition and components because they were afraid they might soon be unavailable. That exhaustion did not abate in nine months after the election and people are having to buy things like tires for their car (something I had to do yesterday), a new clothes dryer, or new shoes - things they previously deferred to afford the guns. With both the President and Congress not favoring new gun control legislation, I don't see the impetus for a renewed panic on the scale we had during the Obama years.
Old October 3, 2017, 03:15 PM   #21
hounddawg

I am wondering how many of these so called "shortages" are manufactured by people who just want to drive their sales and profits up at the expense of their fellow shooters. I bet by the end of the week this thread will be 10 pages long and most of the posts will be by posters with less than 50 posts. Gun sales have been in a Trump slump for months now since anyone with 2 brain cells knows that the 2nd Amendment is safe for another 3 years at least. When we had Obama in the Oval Office and Pelosi and Reid running Congress they could get nothing passed even with the Sandy Hook tragedy so what are the odds with a GOP Congress and Trump in office ?

BTW just got off the phone with my local shop on a unrelated matter so I asked him and he said that his business is entirely normal, no one is coming in panicked

Last edited by hounddawg; October 3, 2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old October 3, 2017, 06:41 PM   #22
turtlehead

Don't think so.

My goal by the end of the administration's first term is to be stocked up for life on components.
Old October 3, 2017, 06:50 PM   #23
RC20

Well the way this administration works, the next thing you know they will be cutting a deal with Chuck and Nancy!

I keep myself in good shape now, 8 lb jugs when possible. Plenty of Primers and bullets. Lots of brass.
Old October 3, 2017, 07:50 PM   #24
reddog81

Ammoseek.com has .22 ammo for under $.04 per round. First time I've sent it that low since I've started using ammo seek 4 or more years ago.

I'd guess the hearing protection act is not going to see any movement. Other than that the effect on the federal level will be minimal.

Any panic will be self induced like the previous times.
Old October 3, 2017, 07:50 PM   #25
hounddawg

@Turtlehead

My goal by the end of the administration's first term is to be stocked up for life on components

good planning, Jan 2019 might be a good date for a goal too

I shop bullet and ammo sales, free Hazmat and free shipping deals etc and keep my supplies up to a reasonable level at a reasonable cost. Also I am simplifying my reloading down to two rifle calibers and 3 pistols. Keeps inventory control a lot easier

BTW isn't there a sticky thread at the top about shortages? Maybe a mod should merge this one