The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 16, 2017, 03:04 AM   #1
GotRice

Road trip to Seattle, questions on laws.

Hey everyone,

I would like you're opinion on how I should proceed with my road trip I'm currently planning.

I'm going to be travelling from Missouri to Seattle to visit some family. I have a Wisconsin permit (born there, currently student/part time worker in MO) and Utah Non-resident permit.

For the most part, I will be able to carry in all the states I plan on travelling through (currently I'm thinking Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Oregon, and then into Washington)

The only state that I can't carry with both of the permits I currently have planned is Oregon (of which I'm going to as I'm going to try and go to a music festival a friend is performing at) as I understand you need to live in a surrounding state in order to qualify for a non-resident permit. However, with FOPA, I was thinking that before I get to Oregon, I'll pull over in a rest stop and unload and lock the firearm into a small travel case (I have a small pelican case I use whenever I travel by air) and keep it there until I get to Seattle.

Would this be legal to do? I ask as this is the first time I've planned such a large road trip, especially one that will cross a state that doesn't honor either one of my permits.

Thanks for the help.
Old June 16, 2017, 05:36 AM   #2
Brit

Mount a solid steel case, below passenger front seat, only asses-able from rear door. A wee vault. Into your little pelican case for trip to Motel/Hotel, at night.

Check the legality of my advice, that is just what I would do.
Old June 16, 2017, 06:02 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRice
However, with FOPA, I was thinking that before I get to Oregon, I'll pull over in a rest stop and unload and lock the firearm into a small travel case (I have a small pelican case I use whenever I travel by air) and keep it there until I get to Seattle.

Would this be legal to do? I ask as this is the first time I've planned such a large road trip, especially one that will cross a state that doesn't honor either one of my permits.
Under the FOPA, this would NOT be legal. The FOPA applies if you are traveling through Oregon, from a state where you are legal to a state where you are legal.. Once you decide to make a stop IN Oregon for some purpose or purposes unrelated to getting THROUGH Oregon, the FOPA no longer applies. Stopping to attend a music festival (or to have lunch with your mother's Aunt Maude) is outside "the normal course of travel" and makes Oregon a destination, not a transit state.

Either skip the festival, or research Oregon laws for possession and transport of firearms and abide by them while within Oregon.
Old June 16, 2017, 07:35 AM   #4
FITASC

Possession in his trunk and carrying are two different things.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 16, 2017, 10:31 AM   #5
ShootistPRS

In Oregon, You are allowed to open carry in your car. The gun has to be in a holstered configuration that would not be concealed when you exit the vehicle. You have to be careful because local laws can vary from one city to another. I believe you are required to inform the police when they pull you over that you are open carrying a gun.
If you unload the gun and place it in a locked box or the trunk you won't have a problem. The West side of the state is more restrictive but as I said it varies from place to place.
Old June 16, 2017, 05:15 PM   #6
GotRice

Hey all,

Just got off the phone with Crook County Sheriff.

Turns out Oregon is open carry so I guess i can do so while I'm out and about. But if not, they said that unloaded and locked in a case and left in my trunk or suitcase is fine.

Thanks for the help.
Old June 16, 2017, 06:16 PM   #7
cjwils

Crook County is one of the most rural, most gun friendly places in the entire Pacific Northwest. You might not get such friendly treatment in some other jurisdictions regardless of what state laws say.
Old June 16, 2017, 11:24 PM   #8
Koda94

you cant loaded open carry anywhere in Multnomah county without an Oregon CHL. I don't know about FOPA but you can transport your gun in a locked container or in the trunk separate from any ammo. No pre-loaded mags or cylinders allowed in Mult. Co.

What you need to know about Oregon starts here: https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.250
Old June 17, 2017, 06:20 PM   #9
GotRice

@ Koda94, more than likely I will not be carrying open at all.

The plan is to stop before crossing the border and unloading everything, putting rounds emptied from mags into the original box and then locking everything up.

Guess I'll be more or less treating it like if I were to get on a plane, empty and locked gun, empty mags, rounds in a box, and whole pelican case gets locked up and tossed into my suitcase.
Old June 17, 2017, 07:01 PM   #10
FITASC

If that what floats your boat, then go with it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 19, 2017, 10:09 AM   #11
doofus47

koda94
Quote:
you cant loaded open carry anywhere in Multnomah county without an Oregon CHL.
Well, that sounds like perfectly good legalese.... or oxymoronic. I'll decided after I finish my coffee.
Old June 22, 2017, 01:56 PM   #12
rickyrick

I can see the I5 and Fremont bridges from my backyard in Washington, I don't venture into Portland with any of my guns anymore. Not because of crime, but because I don't want a legal quagmire if something does happen.
The rest of Oregon, I don't worry about so much.