The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Closed Thread

Old March 26, 2011, 05:54 PM   #1
tido879

can i shoot my gun?

I have a 1984 Dodge Marksman 1000 Winchester 94 XTR #5115188. Gun has never been fired, it is in great condition. One gun shop told me firing this would not devalue the gun any. I went to the range today and the guy there told me I should not fire the gun. Does anybody know anything about these?
Old March 26, 2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Hawg

If you have the box and papers it will be worth more but commeratives don't gain value very fast. Once it's fired value will be about the same as any other 94 XTR.
Old March 26, 2011, 06:19 PM   #3
tido879

I do have box and papers, I dont think I would ever sell since the gun belonged to my grandfather. I have a 6 month old son and am trying to decide if it would be better to hand it down to him in new condition or shoot it with him... in a few years
Old March 26, 2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Gbro

I have a Model 1894 Winchester that is dated to 1905. It is used every year and will be passed down to one of my Grandsons.
Take care of it and it will outlast both of you.
Old March 27, 2011, 12:05 AM   #5
hoghunting

Quote:
I have a 6 month old son and am trying to decide if it would be better to hand it down to him in new condition or shoot it with him... in a few years
Your son will eventually shoot the rifle - whether you want him to or not. So you might as well enjoy it. Winchester cranked out so many different Commemorative models, and their value isn't much more than a new 94.
Old March 27, 2011, 12:24 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sad but true. Some companies turned out so many commemoratives that they have little value over the standard guns of that modlel. That is even more true of the "unofficial" non-factory commemoratives like those advertised in the gun magazines ("Special Commemorative of the Battle of Hogwallow Hill - get yours today for only 300 monthly payments of $500 each"). When sold, those rarely bring even a fraction of what people pay for them, especially as the base gun is often a "no-name" parts gun that probably won't fire even if it is not a non-firing dummy.

Jim
Old March 27, 2011, 09:21 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Closed as a duplicate. Please don't post the same question in multiple forums.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread