The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 10, 2009, 11:21 AM   #1
zxcvbob

Woo-hoo! My first C&R gun purchase

(ordering a Garand from CMP before I got my 03FFL doesn't count)

I just ordered a Nagant revolver, and a Romanian TTC with 2 extra magazines and 2 boxes of ammo, from J&G Sales. They ship it right to my door (and my wife gets to sign for the packages; I hope she doesn't hurt herself rolling her eyes.)

I have just a few .32-20 cases and some .312" cast bullets. I might be able to load them using .30 Carbine dies to test fire the Nagant. A nice light charge of Bullseye, Unique, or Herco.
Old September 14, 2009, 07:59 PM   #2
zxcvbob

The guns arrived today. The Nagant especially is nicer than I expected, and the trigger pull is not quite as horrendous as everybody says. I need to field strip them and clean all the cosmolene out. Do I need to take the side panel off the Nagant and clean the lock-work?

For some reason the importer engraved the serial number on the barrel of the TCC with an electric pencil right at the ejector port where it's very obvious. It looks real ugly, but it's shallow enough I might can polish it down a little with some 600 grit sandpaper (the same serial number is stamped on the frame and the top of the slide.)

On the Nagant, the importer stamped a new serial number (doesn't look bad) on the side plate. When I record it in my bound book, which number do I use? Seems like it should be the original number stamped on the frame, but the receipt has the new importer's serial number from the side plate, so maybe I should use that.

The ammo shipped separate, so it won't get here for a few days
Old September 14, 2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Tidewater_Kid

Always use the importers serial number in your bound book. Post pictures!!

TK
Old September 14, 2009, 08:40 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Thanks. I'll see if I can find the digicam and a clean flat surface (not sure which will be harder to find)

The Nagant is dripping cosmolene from the side plates and the trigger. Think I'll need to take the grips off and give it a soak in some gasoline. The bore is dark, but the rifling looks good and sharp, and I don't see any pitting; the darkness might just be age (it's a 1930)
Old September 15, 2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Tidewater_Kid

This is a good site to look for assembly and dis-assembly drawings.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/pistolm1...mble/index.asp

Look forward to the pictures.

TK
Old September 16, 2009, 10:53 PM   #6
zxcvbob

Quote:
Look forward to the pictures.
Having trouble with the camera so it may be a day or two, but I'm working on it :-)