The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Mausberg

anybody own these guns?

does any body own any of the guns listed here:

Hi Points .45 ACP
S&W's SW40VE(or 9mm)
KelTec's p-11 or Pf-9
BERSA THUN9MHC 9MM
Any EAA Witness 9mm/.40 s&w/.45 acp

basically i wanna know your opinion on the ones you own/have shot (from the list) and what you liked/didnt like about the gun. im about to buy my first hand gun and was trying to stick around the 300ish range and these guns i listed are the ones pulling my decision so im pretty sure soon im gonna be ownin one of them
Old January 4, 2009, 06:13 PM   #2
clayking

The only one that I own is the Keltec p11. It is strictly a self defense pistol, long trigger pull, and not all that accurate. Actually, I'm looking to replace mine with something better in the same category (small)......................ck
Old January 4, 2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Ace_Breaker

My first gun purchase was a Tanfoglio imported by FIE as the TZ75 Series 88 Government model. It was later labeled the Witness when EAA started to import them. Mine is still kicking strong after 20 years of use. It remains one of my most accurate 9mm's. The only negative to the handgun is that the sights were basic and it is a heavy steel gun. Not as easy to carry or conceal as my other compact 9mm's. It was my main carry and defense for years. I keep it now more for sentimental reasons, but it still shoots great. According to a buddy it is his favorite shooter in my group of guns(Hk P7's, Glocks, CZ's, Sig, etc.). I think it is better than the other handguns on your list.
Old January 4, 2009, 06:35 PM   #4
fridayxiii

I bought the SW9VE a month ago & love it. I takes anything I feed it w/out a problem, is easy to take down & clean, and a blast to shoot. The trigger pull you'll read so much about has lightened up after some range time & dry firing w/snap caps. I bought mine when S&W was running their rebate, and have 2 free hi-cap magazines on the way to boot. I love my Allied Forces.

After reading posts from & to other new gun owners asking the same questions you did, you should definitely 1) decide on what caliber you want and 2) hold - if not shoot - each of the guns on your list. So much of the choice depends on which one fits your hand best, and shoots the best. I rented a Glock 19, Sig P6, and M&P 9 before my purchase, and am glad I did.

Plus, if you're trying to be cost-conscious, don't be afraid to look for user pistols in good condition as well as NIB.

Good luck!
Old January 4, 2009, 06:36 PM   #5
goose2w1

I have an EAA witness in 10mm, so I thought I would give my two cents, figuring the quality wouldn't vary to much between the calibers. It's a great pistol, especially with the low price tag. Had a couple FTF's the first couple of rounds, but I attribute that to break in and cheap flat point ammo. Since then it has been flawless for me.
Old January 4, 2009, 06:45 PM   #6
dwhite

I have an SW40VE. Got about 2000 rounds through it now with no failures of any kind and this is 90% re-loads. Trigger is not as bad as some say it is and it gets better with use. I trust my life to mine. Best value I've ever gotten in a gun, period.

All the Best,
D. White
Old January 4, 2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Mausberg

thanks for all the replies, ive already decided that if i buy a gun, it wouldnt matter really if it was a 9mm or 45, i want a 45 tho becuase of the big slugs, but not so much the big price tags. ill mostlikely end up with a 9mm or 40 im pretty sure. it'll probably be the sigma or EAA Witness. but for some reason ive always wanted a ruger or glock.. picking out the right handgun is hard =/
Old January 4, 2009, 06:49 PM   #8
RemedyX

Go with the EAA Witness. I have one in .45 and it's one of the better shooting pistols I own. Also it has a nice fit in the hand. The only other one on your list I'd pick is the S&W Sigma. I had a Sigma but got rid of it quickly.

You can pick up a nice used Glock or S&W 3rd Gen semi auto in the $300-$400 price range.
Old January 4, 2009, 06:53 PM   #9
David the Gnome

A Ruger P95 might not be the prettiest gun in the world but they're tanks. It would serve you well for a lifetime and your kids after that.

Bud's is out right now but last time they had them they were right at $300.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/18162

The P345 is a much better looking gun, and a 45 to boot, but they are also sold out of them. Last time they had them they were right at the $400 mark.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/14312

Although for $438 you could have a stainless Ruger SR9 and get 17+1 rounds of 9mm in a surprisingly thin package.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/52388

Old January 4, 2009, 07:11 PM   #10
varoadking

The Sigma is a terrific choice. Very accurate, durable, and S&W's lifetime warranty.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/49676

Smith's rebate expired on 12/31...stick around and they will post another one soon...
Old January 4, 2009, 07:17 PM   #11
fridayxiii

One other thing to consider, if this is your first handgun (like the SW9VE is mine), you'll want to spend plenty of time practicing at the range. 9mm ammo is cheaper than .40 or .45, so w/that caliber you'll probably be able to afford more rounds at the range.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:29 PM   #12
rshanneck2002

anywhere around 3-400 hundred check out the stoeger 8000 (9mm) or 8040 in 40S&W., bought mine on sale last yr for 299.99 at gander mountain in MI.,damn great pistol for the money 15 and 10 rds for the 40,fit like a glove for me,i own one of each formerally a berretta 8000,no difference in the handguns at all. i own a ruger P89 also but the stoeger is much prettier to look at,but the ruger is a tank and i have had it for at least 15 yrs with no problems.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:35 PM   #13
Keltyke

The only one from that list I own is a Keltec PF-9. It's a great little 9mm! The recoil is a little harsh, but completely manageable. It packs 7+1 of 9mm into a tiny pocket-carriable package. Eats anything. Mine has been totally reliable with over 3000 rounds through it.
Old January 4, 2009, 08:48 PM   #14
ir3e971

I have a Bersa 9mm. It is an ok pistol and does all that is asked of it.

That being said, If I had it to do over again I would go with the Ruger or the Smith because of parts availability and support. Also they are made in America as is the Kel-Tec I think, though I don't have any experience with them.

I just purchased a LE trade in S & W 5906 from summitgunbroker for 300. It may be an option you may want to consider as these guns are certainly proven.
Old January 4, 2009, 09:02 PM   #15
WVfishguy

I've got a SW40VE and a Bersa Thunder .40. both are "okay" guns. Both are reliable, the Sigma more so than the Bersa. I have to avoid low power ammo with the Bersa, but the S&W eats anything. I can shoot them well enough for self defense, but I wouldn't want to compete with them.

If you are a true gun fanatic, you may not be satisfied with either for very long. My Walther .40 P99 AS ruined me for other guns. Nothing shoots as well, nor fits my hand like that Walther. It's light enough to carry all day, and recoil is negligible.

I also have an XDm .40, a great gun, and a Steyr M40, and some others, but I do not like any of them as well as the Walther P99.
Old January 4, 2009, 09:13 PM   #16
luvsasmith

Smith and Wesson Sigmas

Sigmas are great, they shoot very well. I'd also consider looking at Smith model 4043 police trade ins. I had one for a while and it was a great gun. Many departments are switching from the 4043 to the M+Ps so now is a good time to buy one.

Hi-Points make great plinkers and are very reliable- 2000 rounds through my HP 45 and never a hiccup. That said, they are not too easy to conceal and are one of the ugliest guns still made.
Old January 4, 2009, 09:59 PM   #17
clsmyth

I had a pf-9 and hated it. Wouldn't feed a full mag of FMJ or any hollowpoints - even expensive hollowpoints. Lots of folks have great luck with Kel-Tec but I did not, at least with that gun. OTOH I had a P3AT that was fine. I traded them both towards a Kahr CW9 which is a touch out of your price range but IMHO a pistol superior to anything Kel-Tec makes.

I have an SW9VE and love it. The trigger is manageable, does smooth out a bit after some range time, and can be lightened easily enough if you are careful. I got used to mine OK even before lightening it.

You don't mention it exactly but I also have a Bersa Thunder 380. Some folks complain about Bersa's quality but this gun has been great for me. No problems at all, except for a tendency to go into battery by itself if you slap the mag in too hard.

Have you looked at Taurus?

-cls
Old January 4, 2009, 11:00 PM   #18
zebulonsmith

+1 on the Rugers mentioned, especially the P95 if you want to keep the price down.

A little research and you'll see that while most people owning the guns you listed are very happy about them, there seems to be a good number of lemons. It'll be a challenge to find someone who owns a P95 that broke and all but impossible to find one that Ruger didn't fix for them if it did. Don't get me wrong, the others are good firearms and I'm not trying to bash them, I'm just speaking from what I've witnessed. I owned a Kel-Tec that was still a POS after three trips to the factory and have a friend going through a similar mess with a 9VE.
Old January 4, 2009, 11:28 PM   #19
HeroHog

The P-11 is a great small carry gun. 11 rounds of 9mm in a pocket sized package. Fairly accurate, dependable and they have a great warranty.

The Hi-Point is bulky and heavy but again, they are fairly accurate, pretty dependable and they have a great warranty. It is best for 1) people who can't afford better at the time or 2) you just want a "spare" pistol to keep in the truck, range bag or whatever.

For a first gun at the price you mentioned, I would say go with the S&W for learning shooting a pistol. If you want to carry it concealed, and have a permit to do so, the Kel-Tek P-11 is a good fit as it conceals very easily and still has the size (caliber) and capacity to do a good job.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old January 4, 2009, 11:43 PM   #20
Moe Howard

I have a Sigma 9mm and a Kel-Tec p11. Both have been 100% reliable. Now I only have 500 rounds in the p11 but the Sigma has seen over 6000. The p11 is really a great little carry gun, I carried it for several month before changing jobs. Both are excellent guns especially when you factor in price but neither is a true top notch collector type piece.
Old January 4, 2009, 11:48 PM   #21
michael t

here ask a bunch of Bersa owners over 5100 members
http://bersatalk.com
Old January 4, 2009, 11:56 PM   #22
PeterGunn

Currently own an EAA Witness in 9mm with the Wonder-Finish. I have not put that many rounds through it, but I can say that the ergonomics are great for me (as are nearly all CZ/CZ-clones). It is also more accurate than I thought it would have been. Just goes to show that good guns can be had for a good price.

All of that said... if I had to do it over again, I would have probably picked up a genuine CZ-75. The cost for these pieces is relatively low and you get the original artifact.

Have Fun!

PeterGunn

Tags
bersa , eaa , hi-point , kel-tec , s&w