The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2014, 07:29 PM   #76
Sparks1957

I am looking forward to drawing my own conclusions about the R51. The lack of a manual safety other than the grip doesn't bother me in the least.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:47 PM   #77
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Perhaps not necessarily... but with such short and light trigger travel, It seems awfully foolish to not have a safety on such a weapon.
But It does have a safety. It's in the grip!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 13, 2014, 11:11 PM   #78
B.N.Real

I am happy with the Shield platform for my semi handguns I will buy in the future.

I really like the ergonomics and quality manufacture and if I buy a 9mm or a 40 smith,it will be that one.

The R51 thing is something I will follow but not let influence what I will buy.

I am a little leery about the Remington name anyway because it looks to me like it's not an American owned company anymore anyway and they put their name on everything under the sun, most of it made in China, not of the greatest quality.

Tells me who might just own it.
Old February 14, 2014, 12:09 AM   #79
Cirdan

Anybody actually seen one in real life? Glock 42s are showing up in local stores (overpriced), but I haven't come across one that actually has had a 51. Beginning to think it's an urban legend
Old February 14, 2014, 07:44 AM   #80
8MM Mauser

I think what kills it for me is how big it actually turned out to be. Early reports said the thing was smaller than a Shield; but it looks like it's actually G19 sized. If it is that big and only hardly slimmer what is the point? I suppose they might have a Better trigger and might have appeal to guys who can't stand "plastic" but it now seems to me like better options exist.
Old February 14, 2014, 07:51 AM   #81
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.N.Real
I am a little leery about the Remington name anyway because it looks to me like it's not an American owned company anymore anyway and they put their name on everything under the sun, most of it made in China, not of the greatest quality.
Remington is part of the Freedom Group, which is owned by Cerberus Capital Management, which is a New York-based private equity firm whose Chairman is a former US Treasury Secretary.

The companies that make up the Freedom Group are: Advanced Armament Corp., Barnes Bullets, Bushmaster, Dakota Arms, DPMS, Harrington & Richardson, L.C. Smith, New England Firearms, Parker, Remington, and TAPCO

Last edited by gc70; February 14, 2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: company list
Old February 14, 2014, 10:03 AM   #82
Glenn E. Meyer

I think we need to see them be used by quite a few folks before we can decide if it is a bust or not.

That's sort of a scientific method rant.
Old February 14, 2014, 11:02 AM   #83
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
To me, that's like saying "I couldn't drive it well due to the fact that I had to push the clutch all the way to the floor in order to shift gears..."

your logic is backwards. normally while driving a stick you want to fully push the clutch to the floor, unless you like changing out clutches every 20,000 miles. with triggers, fully releasing the trigger, I believe is refered to as slapping, which is not part of good trigger control.
I think my logic is sound. The mechanics of operating the clutch and the trigger are opposite, but the principle is the same. There is a proper way to operate the mechanism. The way the designers intended. Now, many (perhaps most?) mechanisms can be operated in some way other than that. Some can be operated quite well, others cannot.

What I was referring to was that "riding the reset point" on a trigger is similar to pushing the clutch pedal just enough to disengage the gear (other than the fact that it doesn't damage/wear the gun like it does for a car). IT makes shifting (or shooting) fractionally faster, something that is important in some situations and not so much in others.

Stomping the clutch to the floor always works. So does releasing the pressure on the trigger. Some machines only work the way they want to work, not the way you want them to work. The Remington's trigger appears to be such (although at this time, we only have the reviewer's impressions by which to judge it)

He couldn't "drive" the gun the way he expected to, and got poor results, for which, he blamed the gun.
Old February 14, 2014, 12:38 PM   #84
happyguy

I've never even seen an R51 in person much less held or shot one.

But after reading that still wet behind the ears kid's review it is readily apparent that he should find a new hobby.

I'll wait until they show up in the stores to form an opinion.
Old February 14, 2014, 03:15 PM   #85
Microgunner

Placed my order for an R51 today.
Old February 14, 2014, 04:42 PM   #86
lee n. field

Quote:
Placed my order for an R51 today.
ETA, and what's it costing you?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 14, 2014, 05:40 PM   #87
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field
ETA, and what's it costing you?
Don't know when it'll come into stock, so it's a back order.
We're FFL dealers and the pistol will cost me $319.00.
Old February 14, 2014, 05:52 PM   #88
Sparks1957

I have one on order too. My FFL expects it will cost me around $370 or so, based on the MSRP of $420, but we're not sure yet.

There are a couple reports of these being seen on recent days according to the Sig forum, so I'm expecting we'll hear something in the next couple weeks.
Old February 14, 2014, 06:59 PM   #89
lee n. field

Quote:
We're FFL dealers and the pistol will cost me $319.00.
Good to know. Thanks.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 14, 2014, 09:17 PM   #90
Bart Noir

Quote:
(The squared front grip of the P239 made shooting it uncomfortable)
Today I handled a new SIG P239, and found that it didn't feel like the one I owned 15 years back. The front corners seemed more rounded and I liked it. I believe that I read that SIG made such a change on at least some version of the 239. A for-real SIG fan might tell us if I am right.

Bart Noir
Who is waiting to handle that R51. Buy it? Who knows, it might sing out "buy me" just loud enough....
Old February 14, 2014, 09:32 PM   #91
jimbob86

Quote:
Who is waiting to handle that R51. Buy it?
Me.

Have not seen one in the wild yet.
Old February 15, 2014, 04:47 AM   #92
LockedBreech

For me, my desire for the R51 operates by the same principle as my desire for the Xbox One/PS4/iPad Air - as a nerd for what they are, I really want one, but I'm allowing time for hiccups.
Old February 20, 2014, 01:01 PM   #93
happyguy

A counterpoint to the TTAG review by Nick Leghorn. Apparently Jeff Quinn has had one in his possession over the past several days.

http://www.gunblast.com/Remington-R51-2.htm

http://youtu.be/2IQEAKGXKt8
Old February 20, 2014, 01:19 PM   #94
Uncle Malice

Quote:
A counterpoint to the TTAG review by Nick Leghorn. Apparently Jeff Quinn has had one in his possession over the past several days.

http://youtu.be/2IQEAKGXKt8
Good information in there as always, although I don't think I've ever seen a single gun review where Jeff Quinn didn't like the gun. It's kind of what he gets paid to do.
Old February 20, 2014, 01:38 PM   #95
lee n. field

Quote:

I don't think there's anything he reviews that he doesn't like. I do like the detailed close up pictures in his reviews.

Ambidextrous magazine release? That can be done well, or not so well (the release on my CZ-82 is overcomplicated, worn and almost unworkable).

Waiting to see how they work in the real world....
Old February 20, 2014, 01:43 PM   #96
Waspinator

From Nick Leghorn's Review:
Quote:
Pull the trigger on a live round and the first issue rears its ugly head: the Remington R51 is painful to shoot, even with light loads.

From Jeff quin's Review:
Quote:
The Remington R51 pistol is one of the softest-recoiling 9mm pistols that I have ever fired.

lol
Old February 20, 2014, 01:47 PM   #97
happyguy

Quote:
...I don't think I've ever seen a single gun review where Jeff Quinn didn't like the gun.
He's been up front that he doesn't review guns that don't appeal to him. He did report all of the malfunctions so...
Old February 20, 2014, 03:06 PM   #98
Fishbed77

Quote:
Good information in there as always, although I don't think I've ever seen a single gun review where Jeff Quinn didn't like the gun. It's kind of what he gets paid to do.
This. ^

I group Quinn's praise in the same category as Leghorn's criticisms.
Old February 20, 2014, 03:40 PM   #99
KyJim

I've always been able to separate Jeff Quinn's "facts" and his "opinions" and have no trouble with his reviews. He details malfunctions and gives hard data on velocities. He doesn't give details about accuracy but I can usually live with his general remarks on this so long as we're talking a defensive weapon. When he talks about the soft recoil of the R51, I tend to believe him. I guess we'll find out more when the pistol hits the street.

Added: I went back and watched the video. I think it says a lot when Quinn says he is getting one for his own use. Putting your money into something speaks volumes.

Last edited by KyJim; February 20, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old February 20, 2014, 05:32 PM   #100
LockedBreech

I trust Quinn's honesty. I have read before that he often refuses to even put up reviews if he doesn't think the gun is of decent quality. He also doesn't gloss over issues (others mentioned that he noted the handful of failures). He's just a guy who seems to genuinely enjoy guns and tends to like the ones he chooses to review. That's a pretty refreshing break from the heavy-duty cynicism on most gun boards.

I remain interested in the R51 and can't wait to snag one after the initial beta period.