The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 15, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
kharter

Duck calls

i am new to waterfowl hunting and have been trying to find a new duck call that sounds ducky and is easy to blow. i had gone to bass pro and picked up a primos original wench call and somthing happened with the reeds. I cant blow hail calls and the feed chuckle both dont sound right all after a week. i dont know if it is because of the reeds or the call. If you know of a call that lasts and is great for beginners let me know please.
Old July 15, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
AllenJ

Primos Timber Wench and Haydel Red Leg are the two calls I always take with me.
Old July 15, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
PawPaw

I've got two traditional duck calls, a Faulk's that I've had for forty years and a PS Olt D2Kthat's about the same age. They've both served me well for over forty years.

There are lots of good duck calls today, but blowing one is like blowing a trumpet. You've got to make music with the darned thing, not just blow into it. Practice, practice, practice. If you know someone who can help you, tune the call. Take it apart and look at it. Adjust the reed. Sometimes just another millimeter of reed will change the whole tenor of a duck call. Very seldom can you just take a call out of the box and have it work the way it should, because everyone's blowing style is different. You've got to make it work for you, and I bet that the calls you have now will do just fine.

Don't practice inside, the acoustics will be all wrong. Get out in a big empty field, or the middle of a lake. Then you'll know how the call sounds.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com