The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 03:53 AM   #1
Roundeye

removing hammer pin?

I bought a new gp100 last year and want to put some different hammer/trigger springs in. I cant seem to get the hammer pin out, I have a set of pin punches that I got from home depot but dont want to booger the pin up. Any ideas? I was thinking about putting some electrical tape over the hammer pin and lightly tapping it with a brass punch.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
ThomasT

You don't need a punch to take your gun apart. Read the instuctions or watch a youtube video. Don't hammer on your gun. Better yet find someone like a gunsmith and let them do it before you screw up your ruger.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:46 AM   #3
MrBorland

You mean the firing pin? Maybe the IBoK might help:

From Iowegan's GP100 Book of Knowledge:

"Firing pin: Use a tool to push the firing pin all the way forward. You should feel the spring tension of the firing pin spring. Firing pin travel should be smooth. If not, force solvent into the firing pin hole and push the firing pin in multiple times to help clean out the firing pin and hole. Blow it out with compressed air. When pushed in all the way, the firing pin should protrude .055-.065”. This can be measured by laying gap gauge blades on the recoil shield and matching protrusion to thickness. The firing pin is secured by a recoil plate (part #31) and held in place by a recoil plate cross pin (part #66). Removing the firing pin is not recommended because it will damage the finish. The firing pin is a factory fitted part. To remove the firing pin, you must first drive the cross pin out then push the recoil plate (AKA firing pin bushing) from the rear. A coil spring (part #13) is installed between the collar on the firing pin and the recoil plate."
Old December 10, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I've never worked on a Ruger SA revolver but, based on other revolvers I have seen the inner workings of, I have to ask "Why do you need to remove the hammer pin?" If you remove the hammer pin, the hammer falls out. It that necessary to change the hammer spring? I've not encountered any revolver that hasn't allowed me to remove the hammer spring with the hammer in place.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:29 PM   #5
ThomasT

Quote:
I've never worked on a Ruger SA revolver
The GP-100 is not a single action revolver. Its double action. And you don't have to remove the hammer to replace the hammer spring. To replace the trigger return spring you have to remove the trigger group housing. The disassembly instructions are in the owners manual IIRC. If the OP doesn't have the manuel its free from Ruger. It says so on the barrel.

The OP is talking about the hammer pivot pin that will drop out of the gun when taken apart correctly.

To remove the hammer spring on the ruger single six you have to remove the grip frame. I don't remember on the full size single actions, its been too long since I took one apart.

The OP doesn't sound like someone who is familiar with taking guns apart and should get help before he messes his gun up.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Roundeye

You have to remove the hammer from the frame to pull the trigger group out to replace the trigger spring im also installing shims on hammer and trigger.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:31 PM   #7
MrBorland

Do-oh. Hammer pin to remove hammer. Gotcha.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Roundeye

I already tried what the videos suggested and the pivot pin doesn't come out that easy. Also the local gun smith is supposedly really good, but when I told him I was working on a gp100 he didn't even know what it was....he's definitely not touching my gun.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:11 PM   #9
ThomasT

Roundeye it sounds like you came up with the correct way to take your gun apart. When you get the trigger group out be careful. There are a couple of spring loaded plugers thay will launch themselves when you are not looking. Ask me who I know that.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter
The GP-100 is not a single action revolver. Its double action.
Bah! Ya got me. It was a typo -- I know that, and I HAVE worked on Ruger SAs. I own three Blackhawks and two Single Sixes. It's Ruger DAs that I haven't delved into.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:34 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

When the grips and the hammer spring and strut are removed, the hammer pivot assembly should just pull out (using the little tab) or be easily pushed out. I have seen them need a tap but a brass or plastic punch should work without battering anything.

Jim